How do I add coolant to the coolant recovery bottle?

Final GTS 286

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do most of you do this? I can's see a damn thing when I shine a flashlight into the donut hole behind fog light of Left front wheel. I cannot see the lines for "engine hot" and "cool" level. So how do I know when I have added enogh coolant?
I have heard of the turkey baster method of adding coolant but which tubing do I attach to the turkey baster? (there are to hoses coming off the surge tank.)
Thanks.

Just to be clear once again: Do I have to have the engine running when I burp the cooling system as described by Jon B. ?

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I add coolant to mine I fill the overflow bottle to about 2/3 full. I use the hose off of the resevoir thingy up on top using a funnel. I just followed both of the hoses from the coolant tank down to where I could see which one went to the overflow tank. I just turn my key on and turn the heater control on when I burp mine...I don't start it and it seems to work.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't turn the engine on how does the water pump circulate the coolant?

I just attach a small hose to my funnel and stick it in. nana:

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use a turkey baster. remove the hose from the overflow tank and simply pump it in there. Place some towels around so you don't make too much of a mess.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe if you have the key on and the heater on then the heater valve will be open and you are "circulating" the coolant by hand when you are compressing the radiator hose. Correct me if I am wrong, but be gentle, it's almost my birthday and I plan on a lot of spankings that day.

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do the funnel thing with the hose from the surge tank.

"So how do I know when I have added enough coolant?"

Have you discovered the little slot in the wheel well that lets you see the reservoir? Just use a flashlight to light up the bottle and you should be able to see the level.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently had my facia off to repaint the underside. SO SWEET to simply pop the cap off the overflow bottle and pour in some distilled water! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave