How do I clean Chrome?

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a lecture on how I'm doing something wrong cleaning my Wheels :dunno: (althought they are perfectly clean)

I've been using Windex?

I'm hearing many different ways on cleaning the chrome lip, but how do you preserve it and keep it looking perfect?

I have the Forgeline SP3P wheels, they're new, and in PERFECT condition. I want to keep it this way. Any Advice?

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a lecture on how I'm doing something wrong cleaning my Wheels :dunno: (althought they are perfectly clean)

I've been using Windex?

I'm hearing many different ways on cleaning the chrome lip, but how do you preserve it and keep it looking perfect?

I have the Forgeline SP3P wheels, they're new, and in PERFECT condition. I want to keep it this way. Any Advice?

You are doing it the best way I know how.:headbang:
Waxing them would be next but not if you keep them spotless.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Solutions containing ammonia will be somewhat alkaline - pH above 7. Alkaline solutions can react with the base metal - aluminum - through porosity in the plating. The chromium itself should be resistant to the pH above 7.

I would not be using ammonia containing solutions like Windex, for maximum life of your wheel finish.

Also, alkaline solutions can remove wax, so you should wax them every time you clean them for protection.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good old soap and water work well. Oterwise Ive used glass cleaner also. They always recomend cleaning wheels when there cool. But Ive found chrome stands up to almost anything. What your doing seems fine in my book.

Deam, Once weather clears up, I expect to see you at Santana Row

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar thread going a few months back as I was just as confused as you. Basically what I learned is that besides Soap and Water, there is really nothing that you can do because some people say solutions are safe and some say they aren' t. One member put it well, there is basically nothing you can do if you drive your car regularly. I would say to keep doing what you are doing. Luckily I have a car wash facility near me that can usually get anything off the wheels so if I ever have any problems I take it there. I think they use a special solution safe for Chrome.

OP
OP
F

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks you guys for the feedback! I'll continue to clean them with windex/glass cleaner, or soap!

MikeR I will see you there soon! :2tu:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a firm believe in getting the brake dust off the wheels as soon as possible.
Even if I'm not washing the whole car, I get a bucket of warm soapy water and clean and dry the rims.
And they look pretty good for 10 years old.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Soap and water, no ammonia.