How do you certify date wheels for viperdays?

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reading that all 3 pc wheels had to be certified (dated?) within 2 yrs. I have a set of BBS wheels that this has never been done to. I can't find anything on the internet on this either?

How do I get this done and how nec is it really?

thanks

Reaction score
Might need a receipt for new ones and then would need to send them back every two years for manufacturers scrutiny. Harnesses are the same except they have a tag to date them from original build date.

OP
OP
O

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harnesses aren't a big deal, a couple hundred bucks for new ones. But buying a new set of wheels every two years seems extreme. Even dismounting tires, sending to manufacturer (overseas?), paying them to xray them/disassemble/inspect/whatever, shipping them back, and remounting tires can get expensive too.
Fortunately, I'm in the market for new tires right now, but where do I send BBS wheels for inspection?

OP
OP
O

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got an email from the pres of BBS America. They have no idea what kind of certification I need. What do they need to do? Do they need to "certify" that my wheels have no cracks on such-and-such date or what? They are as lost as I am.

Having to research all this is crazy, as all the comp coupes come from the factory with the same BBS wheels. Why isn't there a set procedure?

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking as the former rules committee chairman for Viper Days/NARRA, the wheels certification was to certify that the wheels had no structural defects, were not bent, and that all bolts were torqued to MFGR specs. From a personal standpoint I personally replace all the nuts/bolts holding the wheel together every two years in addition to having them inspected by Forgeline. That way I know that I am racing on wheels that are in as good a condition as possible. In the past Forgeline would come to our events and certify the wheels right at the events, but they have not done that recently.

As a general rule you should personally clean and inspect your wheels after every track day. Just because they were just certified doesn't mean that they can't crack during the next time you are on the track. Additionaly clean wheels are a lot easier to dismount and remount and to ensure the wheel weights are going to stay put. Take them off clean with wheel cleaner and take a wire wheel to the inside to remove wheel weight adhesive and rubber ball. then look very closely at all castings and bolts for intergity. Sometimes its easier to find cracked wheels before you clean them as crease and road grime might stick in the cracks.

Don't neglect your wheels your life depends on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950