How do you crack a radiator support?

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking into another GTS that has a cracked radiator support. I wasn't familiar with failure as common occurrence. The cars appears to be fine otherwise. Looking for info on:

1) Is this a common issue?
2) How may have this happened?
3) How big of a job is it to replace?

Thanks.

Bandit400:2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its fiberglass if i remember correctly. maybe someone working on it leaned on it hard ?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Curb, parking lot, really steep driveway, fender bender...... all would get the job done.

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I dont have any Pics of it.

Scares me a little if something hit it hard enough to crack it. Thanks for the info. I think I will avoid this car. May be fine but why chance it.

LiquoRT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who is selling the car ? Help the next guy who might look to buy it.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a curb can do it, it may just be a weak point on the car. I wouldn't disqualify it just on that one point. Call Chuck Tator and get the history and his opinion.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a good tech can help ya find more out on it. first call tator and then get someone you trust to look it over.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
need more details.
if interested in the car, have someone qualified to inspect the frame and body for repairs.

1) Is this a common issue?
Many of our vipers have been in a minor curbcrash/fenderbender which could lead to some degree of a minor crack in the CS
2) How may have this happened?
???
3) How big of a job is it to replace?
i can imagine its a PITA, what you call radiator suport is in fact called a Core support. it connects to much of the front end.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a pretty big chunk of plastic up there. As mentioned, it would take a pretty big whack to break it. And a lot of work to replace it.

You say the car "appears" to be OK otherwise.

Have you had the wheel alignment checked?

OP
OP
B

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didnt check the alignment as the car was being sold from a known out of state dealer and I did not see it in person. I was going on their assessment. The car was just received by them and they just started to go over it. Their initial assessment of this car was that it had a little curb rash on two wheels and the cracked radiator support. The dealer was upfront about these items. I was looking for a pristine car so I decided that this would not fit my requirements. I am sure these items can be fixed but I did not want to get into that.