How is the new Gen5 with speed bumps and the front lower bumper ?

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a 1997 and always have scraped the bottom of the front spoiler/bumper on speed bumps and steep driveways.

How is the gen 5 in that department ??

Last edited:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About the same. Still have to be careful and go up steep drives at an angle. I haven't scraped mine yet, but I've had plenty of practice in my '06.

Voice of Reason

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are little plastic deflectors than hang down right in front of the tires, I scrape those at least once a week. But luckily no issues with the actual bumper or with speed bumps yet.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are little plastic deflectors than hang down right in front of the tires, I scrape those at least once a week. But luckily no issues with the actual bumper or with speed bumps yet.
I scrape those every single time I pull in and out of my driveway. Showing a bit of wear, but never my bumper, thankfully.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's great news !! The front end looks of the new Gen5 seems to be so low to the ground visually so I was just wondering.

Some old cars like the Testarossa back in the late 1980's and the Diablo had such long and low front overhangs that the cars were almost impossible to drive on any street or driveway.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone measure the ground to the low point of the front bumper and report how it is in inches? Usually 5 inches of clearance is all you need to not worry about stuff.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 inches is high actually. The Lambo was about 1/2 that, though the front lift system brought u up to six inches in the bull. With the snake you just need to take an angle. I have a pretty steep driveway and have had no issues as long as I angle it. Got her up on a lift and there's no scrapes to the front splitter.

Also recommend extended length loading ramps when loading in a trailer or onto a lift. My ramps are 50 inches.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The gen 3 and 4 seemed to improve over the older gens I thought. My mom's 94 seems to scrape pretty easy, but the only time I've ever hit my 04 was on a really nasty dip head on. Otherwise I've never heard anything on mine, and I've even lowered it some recently without any scraping yet. I guess my point in all that is that I'd imagine the gen 5 to be at least as good as the gen 3/4 if not better. Don't see why they'd go backward in design, especially knowing how many people are really picky about scraping bumpers.

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 inches is high actually. The Lambo was about 1/2 that, though the front lift system brought u up to six inches in the bull. With the snake you just need to take an angle. I have a pretty steep driveway and have had no issues as long as I angle it. Got her up on a lift and there's no scrapes to the front splitter.

Also recommend extended length loading ramps when loading in a trailer or onto a lift. My ramps are 50 inches.

My shelby is 5, zr1 I believe was 5 or close to it, mclaren is 5, FGT is 5.5. 5 is the perfect height if you don't have a lift system. Still waiting for someone to actually go measure the viper

NastyGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ripped the air deflector off the driver side one evening driving on the interstate. 80-90 mph. I'm not sure if it was already weak and folded back....tire did the rest. Screws still in place.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shelby is 5, zr1 I believe was 5 or close to it, mclaren is 5, FGT is 5.5. 5 is the perfect height if you don't have a lift system. Still waiting for someone to actually go measure the viper
That right there is a deal breaker!! Unless I can drive one and see if it will clear the curb at my driveway no way will SRT make it. Lol!! Hell even Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche and Bugatti will not only toss you the keys and let you take a test drive to see how smooth they ride they encourage you to go over curbs and other crap to check out the nose clearance. SRT needs a new marketing plan. Quick!! :confused:

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That right there is a deal breaker!! Unless I can drive one and see if it will clear the curb at my driveway no way will SRT make it. Lol!! Hell even Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche and Bugatti will not only toss you the keys and let you take a test drive to see how smooth they ride they encourage you to go over curbs and other crap to check out the nose clearance. SRT needs a new marketing plan. Quick!! :confused:

WOW, this thread got nasty and negative real quick

netapp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sure, here are the keys to a $250k+ car, I bet you can not scrape the front bumber on it. :rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sure, here are the keys to a $250k+ car, I bet you can not scrape the front bumber on it. :rolaugh: :rolaugh: :rolaugh:
lol lol yes they do!! If I can't test drive the car that's a deal breaker for me and SRT needs to follow suit with the big Boyz customer experience lol.
Those dealers do it all the time. My local Bugatti dealer is always begging me to take the Veyron out for a test drive since they have several just taking up space and costing em interest with Volkswagens floor plan structured like it is. I would tell them how to market their machinery but they would want to see my resume and I'm not down with that.
I would never pay MSRP on any vehicle!! With all of my degrees and education and Boss rides (I do own a Mustang :2tu: plus I live at a Holiday Inn) they're not gonna sucker me in at anything less than 20K off the sticker!! I don't really need to drive over curbs or hit the highway, I can tell everything I need to know with a spin around the parking lot.
And just so you know 5" minimum front end clearance is the law in the USA!!!!

Last edited:

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol lol yes they do!! If I can't test drive the car that's a deal breaker for me and SRT needs to follow suit with the big Boyz customer experience lol.
Those dealers do it all the time. My local Bugatti dealer is always begging me to take the Veyron out for a test drive since they have several just taking up space and costing em interest with Volkswagens floor plan structured like it is. I would tell them how to market their machinery but they would want to see my resume and I'm not down with that.
I would never pay MSRP on any vehicle!! With all of my degrees and education and Boss rides (I do own a Mustang :2tu: plus I live at a Holiday Inn) they're not gonna sucker me in at anything less than 20K off the sticker!! I don't really need to drive over curbs or hit the highway, I can tell everything I need to know with a spin around the parking lot.

As they say a fool and their money...... Well u know the rest

Sssssss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fear that if I scraped my bumper the fascia would need to be replaced. :eek: :) just being funny

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No issues here.. MY GEN II with CCW wheels and lowered a 1/2 scraped all the time... Although i will say I will lower mine in the near future to reduce the wheel arch spacing. My driveway is perfectly level so I have no problems there. Only when I go to Walmart to pickup jewelry for my wife do I have to be careful...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I get who you are playing the role of. :)

You must be registered for see images

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You need to put the krak pipe down. So Bugati will let me take a test ride ha...... Please tell me the dealer, its worth a plane ticket

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a pretty steep driveway at my shop the Viper has no issues but my ZR1 hits every time

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth.

Hopefully hit 1000 miles this week!

Good for you! These cars are meant to be driven, not just looked at and admired. I for one plan on driving it as much as I can. Took delivery of mine a week ago Monday and already have 700+ miles on it. Bet by the time the weekend is done I'll have 1200 miles on it, and they won't all be at 2,000 rpm. :drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh