How long does DLM take to Supercharge?

Reaction score
How long have people had their Vipers at Doug Levin Motorsports for Stage III installations, before receiving them back? Mine has been their approaching six months. I paid in advance for a faster turn around (64 days), and have yet to even receive a completion date. I have missed almost all of the carshows I registered for (the reason I paid up-front), and fear I will miss the rest.

What have others done to speed things up? I don't just miss my Viper, but rather have engagements (Make-A-Wish Foundation, large Air Show, etc...) that I simply can't get out of. I gave myself a two month buffer (time wise) that has now been used up. I don't even know what's been done to my car, and whatever is left to be done...

I know the quality and workmanship will rival NASA's and the Customer Service exceeds that of the Red Cross, but I'm just afraid that others have put the pressure on and got their Vipers finished before mine (even if mine was before theirs). Doug's just too nice a guy for me to feel right pressuring, but when is enough "Enough"?

If anybody has any ideas where I don't look like the "Bad Guy" here, I will gladly take your advice!

- Signed: Desperate In Santa Rosa

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never, ever, ever pay in advance in full for work on your car. It leaves the vendor with little incentive to do the work, or at least to do it more timely than someone else's. And there is no reason to do it; the vendor has the car, which is usually more than enough security for the job.

Doug has a great reputation, and while it sounds like you're reluctant to "put pressure on him" directly, you haven't done him any favor by coming to the board, even though you've been gentle about it. I would definitely talk to him and get a firm completion date. If that doesn't happen or doesn't suit you, then ask for a refund. I'd be very surprised if Doug doesn't work the situation out to your satisfaction. His only problem is he has more work than he can do (or at least do to his standards).

Ronnie

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as long as it takes. It's not his work that holds him up, it's the vendors. Be patient, and perhaps talking with Doug rather than posting this would have been more diplomatic.
smile.gif

People with superchargers by DLM know how you feel. But trust us, be patient. You WILL have one of the highest HP V-10 vipers ever made, PERIOD. No one will touch you, except other Level III's. Your closet competitors will always be in the rear view , even bikes and other vipers!
smile.gif

The more you call him, the more time he is away from your car. Remember, not only are you calling him, 20 other people are... I was in the same boat you were, twice. Just hang in there.

Gerald

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedGTS:
Never, ever, ever pay in advance in full for work on your car...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know...

It's generally not my nature to do so but there has been nothing but good things said about Doug, and I trust him. I just want to make sure that others haven't "worked an angle" to speed their process up that I might have not taken advantage of.

If my car is being worked on in the order it was received I have no grievance, just sadness and embarrassment that I underestimated the time frame. I just can't get myself to play hardball at this time.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gerald:
as long as it takes...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you Sir, I really think that's all I needed to hear. In almost six months, I've only called Doug about seven times. Basically ten days before another show I was missing. I know not to bug him, and wish others wouldn't either.

As far as Diplomacy goes, I waited this long and simply needed feedback from others. I would still highly recommend this upgrade and DLM. Just don't make the same mistake I did. Plan to be without your car for longer than expected, but do it anyway.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My RT looks like it'll be an even year in the building, which is fine with me -- I've always told Doug to take the time he needed, and I think the end product will be by far the better for it. The wait is tough on everyone, Doug and customers alike, but the reason I sent him my car was his reputation for being the best, not the fastest. I'm sure Doug isn't prioritizing anyone ahead of you just because you haven't been a 'squeaky wheel', but if you sent him your car six months ago then you're behind such notables as myself (September), Dr. Roof (November?), and probably a few others who aren't even on the board.

As Gerald said, the best thing to help speed your car along is to let Doug do his job. The good news, in your case, is that your level III will benefit from many of the advances Doug has made on other cars (like mine) as well as those which have happened just recently in the industry (better blower designs). Pop me an email if you'd like details.

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback!!

I think this was good for everyone waiting and thinking about sending their Viper in. I feel more at ease knowing how the process works now, and I'm happy and excited again. I'm just going to wait (and keep my fingers crossed!).

A Little More History:
When I first sent the car off, I was told by the "Third Party" that actually sold Doug's services (not Doug) that I could get my Viper back in 50 days if I pay for everything up front. A week later I was told to add a couple of weeks to that, and I still agreeded and sent the car off to Florida. It's even stated that way on my Invoice. I'm really a nice guy when it comes to these things, so I never brought that fact up (until now). That's really my only beef. Had I known it was going to take several times longer, I still would have done it but not have committed my Viper to so many future events.

All in all, this was an impulse buy...

Thanks again!

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
As "Albert Chlouber" said, I could buy another Viper. I wanted another one for the stable anyway. Vipers are still cool, even without forced induction!

Side Note:
I'll send this one to DLM as well (after I get the other one back)...

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heh. I hadn't planned it at the time, but two weeks after we sent the RT off to Doug, we bought our GTS Daytona. It does ease the waiting period a bit
supergrin.gif
A word of warning, however: apparently after you've driven a DLM Viper, driving a normal one is... well, boring.

TomMiriViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to be in South Florida so I got to see first hand the talented Mr. Doug build my snake. They all take time to build. Doug doesn't favor one customer over the other....... except for me j/k heh heh. But seriously, Doug will not release a car unless its perfect. That means if he needs to spend the extra time to make it perfect he will, no matter what it may cost him. Doug isn't motivated by being money hungry, he just wants to build the perfect car and that takes time.

A Level 3 makes 900 horsepower on pump gas!
Mark my words: THE EXTRA TIME IS WORTH THE WAIT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Let him do his thing,
Tom

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is the cost of this upgrade and does Doug have a web site.
Could someone post a link.
Thank you,
TJ

BUD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExecUtron Technologies:
How long have people had their Vipers at Doug Levin Motorsports for Stage III installations, before receiving them back? Mine has been their approaching six months. I paid in advance for a faster turn around (64 days), and have yet to even receive a completion date. I have missed almost all of the carshows I registered for (the reason I paid up-front), and fear I will miss the rest.

What have others done to speed things up? I don't just miss my Viper, but rather have engagements (Make-A-Wish Foundation, large Air Show, etc...) that I simply can't get out of. I gave myself a two month buffer (time wise) that has now been used up. I don't even know what's been done to my car, and whatever is left to be done...

I know the quality and workmanship will rival NASA's and the Customer Service exceeds that of the Red Cross, but I'm just afraid that others have put the pressure on and got their Vipers finished before mine (even if mine was before theirs). Doug's just too nice a guy for me to feel right pressuring, but when is enough "Enough"?

If anybody has any ideas where I don't look like the "Bad Guy" here, I will gladly take your advice!

- Signed: Desperate In Santa Rosa

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you. 64 days vs six months is out of line. No matter how "nice" the guy is. I hope you get something extra out of it.

Reaction score
Hello Dan -

May I ask you to reference your Bill of Lading? Your car has been with us 4 months, not 6
smile.gif
. It's important to understand, upfront payments do not influence the amount of time it takes for us to construct a monster like yours. As a matter of fact, if a tuner agrees to except payment to rush a job ahead of others, it should be an indication that something's wrong!

There's no "monetary influence" that directs a path for my work ethics; It's truly a labor of love for my work, customers & my passion for the cars. I build each and every car with the best intentions to better my product which in turn, will unfortunately result in delays. I pride Doug Levin Motorsports Inc. as a growing Evolution (in time), not a Revolution (over night). The last thing I want is to loose your confidence as a valued customer and I'm very sorry to have caused you any inconvenience. Hopefully, the end result will allow you to forgive me and you'll plan many more events
smile.gif

Regards,
Doug Levin

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExecUtron Technologies:

A Little More History:
When I first sent the car off, I was told by the "Third Party" that actually sold Doug's services (not Doug) that I could get my Viper back in 50 days if I pay for everything up front. A week later I was told to add a couple of weeks to that,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UH - OHHH! NOPE, I'm not even gonna ask!!
laugh.gif

Keep up the good work, Mr. Levin!!
smile.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
When I first sent the car off, I was told by the "Third Party" that actually sold Doug's services (not Doug) that I could get my Viper back in 50 days if I pay for everything up front<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[no flame] It sounds to me like your issue needs to be taken up with the "third party." If they took your money and guaranteed a time frame they should be help responsible for delays. [/no flame]

I, for one, trust Doug and his work. He'll be receiving my Viper some day once I get myself organized. (Shame you don't tweak Impalas Doug...
smile.gif
) Viperous, I think your handling your impatience very well, and as such, rest assured when the Viper returns she'll greet you in the same manner my dog does when I've been away...(that is She'll Howl, run so fast her face will distort, and will solidly put you on your seat...
smile.gif
)

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
To All:

My frustration is my fault alone. I sent my Viper off to DLM before ever talking to Doug. I relied on the Third Party for my info. I could have easily found out what the average stay was there ahead of time, but simply "Impulsed" the project. I hadn't even planned on Supercharging the morning I placed the order, and was actually just buying some other parts.

Yes, Doug is busy but he's also the very best. I have not dealt with a "Tuner" before (to this degree) , so I didn't know how long these things take myself and simply relied on the Order Taker. Thanks to all of those who've gone before me, I feel much better now. I still strongly recommend DLM to all who can afford such a gift, and am glad to finally get the answer to the question I have sought after for so long.

Sorry Doug, but all I needed to hear was "It will take much longer than you think, so you might as well cancel everything for the year"...

P.S.: It will be five months on Monday, so we were both wrong!

Dr Roof

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me man, Alot of us feel your pain! But the ole saying goes "No Pain no Gain"! I stay frustrated because of the wait but from everyone that has had a car built by him has been overwhelmed with the performance of the car!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by RedGTS on 08-04-2002 at 07:33 PM</font>

Gear Grabbn Gary

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did ask up front as to how long my car would take to complete, but Doug would only assure me he would complete it as soon as he could. As others have stated their cars were delayed due to circumstances beyond Doug's control. I only wish anyone who sends their cars to DLM would understand the details needed to make each car perfect. Vipers are a breed of their own and each has its own special needs. Take a deep breath and you WILL be very happy the day your car returns.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its only normal to vent a little in a situation like this. like a kid on christmas eve or pavlov's dog, you got drool running down your chin and ants in your pants waiting for a truly incredible machine to be at your doorstep. I have spoken with this Doug and he seems a truly good guy and from our conversation, he definitely loves what he does. He's sold me on his work. I'm waiting myself to eventually send my car to him for a stage III and i know i will as well be impatient and a b*tch to be around until its back in my garage. Six months, wow, I would hope i remember how to drive a viper by the time it came back, LOL. thats what a good ol harley is for, to take up time you cant drive the viper