How long until you until comfortable with your GTS

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't become "comfortable" with my Viper until I spun out, and had the rear end kick out from behind me. This happened on a track a few times in a controlled environment. Knowing where my limits were made me much more "comfortable" with the Viper. It was a great wake up call that forced me to learn the Vipers', and more importantly, my limits in being able to drive the Viper to it's fullest potential. I don't think anyone become truly comfortable in the Viper....after all you're sitting in a confined cockpit that's loud, obnoxious and sounds like Armageddon is coming knowing that the only thing in your way if you crash is that big V10 coming straight at you on impact. :D If you can become comfortable with that you're in a great place. :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may find the suspension needs adjusting, the stock Koni shocks can be adjusted but you have to remove the springs to do this. I think when the cars left the factory they were on the softest setting. I know I need to stiffen up my car (also a 2000 GTS) There are also shims which adjust the camber can be removed on the front wishbones for track driving :)

Im just cautious on the gear shifting, the viper does not seem to like snappy gear changes. And stock brakes are not exactly track friendly.

Mine came from the factory with all four shocks set to a different rebound setting. From super soft on one to corner to super ******* another corner. I ended up removing the shocks and adjusting to 4 half turns or 2 half turns (i forget, it was whatever the wizard recommended at the time) and the ride was night/day difference. I also replaced my motor mounts which were separated. Once I did this wheel hop went away and the Viper felt more stable.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine came from the factory with all four shocks set to a different rebound setting. From super soft on one to corner to super ******* another corner. I ended up removing the shocks and adjusting to 4 half turns or 2 half turns (i forget, it was whatever the wizard recommended at the time) and the ride was night/day difference. I also replaced my motor mounts which were separated. Once I did this wheel hop went away and the Viper felt more stable.
My shocks are currently off the car, Im going to check mine this weekend. :) Ive just replaced the Half shafts with Unitrax ones ;)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shocks are currently off the car, Im going to check mine this weekend. :) Ive just replaced the Half shafts with Unitrax ones ;)

Consider installing the rear anti-toe brackets. I installed them last year to help reduce flex in the suspension under hard braking. Toe-in can change under hard brake in, almost 1/2" which made the rear a bit squirrely for me. I definitely feel the difference, feels much more stable under hard braking. Pretty easy install especially if you already have the rear wheels off. Ipsco viper has them though I have a version of the brackets from the late big brake dave.

OP
OP
S

Sfengineer

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Tony,

This is really good advice. Out of curiosity, did you figure this out during a spring swap, or did you purposely take the suspension apart just to check this? If during a spring swap, do you think the effort is worthwhile even if you were going to keep everything stock, ie not replace the springs or caps?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider installing the rear anti-toe brackets. I installed them last year to help reduce flex in the suspension under hard braking. Toe-in can change under hard brake in, almost 1/2" which made the rear a bit squirrely for me. I definitely feel the difference, feels much more stable under hard braking. Pretty easy install especially if you already have the rear wheels off. Ipsco viper has them though I have a version of the brackets from the late big brake dave.
Thank you Tony, I will order them later today :)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend that you find someone with the tools to check the rear caster angles. (not many alignment shops can do this, and the dealer will charge you plenty to check it) If they are off by 1/2 degree or more side-side, the car will not feel predictable under power in the corners and that will lead to confidence problems, or spin-outs. Furthermore, any Gen1 or Gen 2 that hasn't ever had the bushings inspected for damage or permanent set should strongly consider doing so - especially if you track the car.

Anti-toe brackets don't work on the driver's side if you've had the frame strut recall done.