How low do you think they will go?

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some good statements have been made. I think the Gen 1 and 2 cars will be the most desired cars soon and their will not be many left as to so many have and will be totaled by young new drivers. And as for being most rare....how many are left are truly STOCK? That drops the numbers down even lower. Their will be higher HP cars being made using Gas or other fuel sources but none will have the raw styling of the gen 1 and 2. They always get the stares, photos taken, the blind side followers down the highway and of course....the many :2tu:

DR EVIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the real questions is which will be worth more in the long run, Gen1 or 2? I have a feeling those sidepipes win in the long run.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cars depreciation the most 10 years after they are made. Then they stay low for about 5 years then they start to climb with inflation. Cars like the Viper and other low production high demand cars will start to rise quickly in about 15 to 20 years.

Right now you want to buy, not sell. Poor economy = buyers market.

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in the car business for almost 20 years. Patterns develope that are actually very easy to identify. Example....In 1988 - 1990 Jaguars E-types were selling for INSANE money, it was a bubble. It was like watching a mini real estate boom....As we all know....EVERY BOOM eventually goes BUST. By 1995 E-type values had OVER CORRECTED (just like VIPER values and HOUSING are doing now) Prices fell by HUGE margins. For instance....during the BOOM pristine E types were selling for $100K. 5 years later those same cars could be purchased for $25K......If you had been SMART enough to BUY a few of those E-types at RECESSION level prices you would have CRUSHED any returns the stock market gave you over the following years. Those E-types eventually climbed back to OVER $100K. The entire time you owned that car you could have enjoyed it, driven it, showed it, and KNOWN it was going to BE THERE when you looked in your garage. Unlike your 401K balance. Even if it was stolen a simple agreed value insurance policy would have returned 100% or MORE of your investment.

The VIPER is in a CLASSIC recessionary pullback. No different than the E-type Jags during the early 90's recession. This recession won't last forever and neither will the days of $20,000 Gen I RT/10 VIPERS!!

Watch......This happens over and over during every recession because PEOPLE never change!!! They OVEREACT to situations. They DUMP things that years later will greatly increase in value.

Obviously this is all subject to debate and is just MY opinion. But it is backed up with years of real life classic car investing experience thrown in. Contrary to popular belief......You CAN make a LOT of money buying cars as investments. It's no different than any other investment. You need....capital that you can be patient with, knowledge about what your buying, and the ability to understand economic cycles inorder to BUY at times when values are depressed.

Is there RISK?????? Of coarse there's risk.....We all take risks everytime we get in these cars. BUT.......Looking at a few Vipers every month or so, and offering CASH payments to sellers who can't wait, has been a very profitable way to make money in ANY investment. And yes.....These and other rare cars can be GREAT investments.....IF....You know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Lemon_Twist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the fact that the very first Vipers have not yet reached their 20th birthday, it is a little premature to call them "collector cars". Anyone who buys one now, such as I did, is specifically doing so because its a very cool car and they simply want to own one. If you are looking to make an investment, there are probably better options out there right now. I think once these cars are around 30 years old and a few more of them have been smashed up, pricing will finally turn the corner and up it will go. The only caveat to those who choose to hold out and wait for further price drops...the pool of pristine examples is constantly decreasing.

fdjake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I see 1995, 96, 97, 98 & 99 VIPERS for sale by the DOZENS with LESS than 20,000 miles on them...

THAT'S A COLLECTOR CAR!!!!!

People sure weren't driving them.

Porsches of that vintage have MILES on them. I'd say the average 911 Porsche is NOT a collectable car.

But VIPERS?????

They're something SPECIAL!!!!

Last edited:

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In 25 or 30 years these cars with probably be worth some serious money. In 25 or 30 years I will most likely be dead also. Get one and enjoy it. Drive it like it was meant to be driven. You'll be richer for the experience. There are very few guys who have ever made money investing in cars and most of those made money by accident. For every guy who made money in sports cars, there were many, many more who lost their ass.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten