How many drive 'bone stock' Vipers?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A stock 03/04 Cobra won't take a Gen II. Its a high 12 second car stock. The new GT500 last time I checked was high 12s with its 2 ton payload.

There are not a LOT of stock cars that will hang with a Gen2. But low 12s are no longer considered fast.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found these two sites useful for comparison to other cars.

I like this one because you can sort any way you like by clicking on the column heading. If you sort by lbs/hp you'll see that the 08 viper is first one under $100k and the GenII's aren't far behind.

http://www.performancecarnews.com/Fastest-Cars-0-60.asp?Process=ShowTable

This one shows the 1/4 mile times, but isn't in as useful of a format.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

Love the PCN table...thanks for sharing!:2tu:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based upon what I have seen in the Cobra, Musclecar and even the Vette prices for stock, documented cars, the future of the Viper is very good. Lots of our cars are rare when we buy them, let alone 25 years out. For this reason, my only mods were cat back Borla exhaust and rolling with standard GTS rims (gotta get the ACR rims chromed). Everything that comes off my car through maintenance or replacement goes into a box and hopefully someday my car will be one of the ones that collectors dream of seeing cross an auction block....not that it will even happen until they pry my cold, dead hands from the steering wheel!

Regards,
Aaron

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've owned the GTS for 10 years now and it's been bone stock all the way. I don't track it so it is still way too much car for the road. Also, it's a lifetime keeper for me so longevity was a concern. Besides, I don't like loud cars and I prefer handling over horsepower. I know quite a few drivers who cannot drive their cars in the wet or in the twisties because their horsepower far exceeds the car's handling.

$0.02

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'97 GTS--K&N's, smooth tubes and rear muffler delete.

I too have kept all stock parts, not that I ever plan on parting with my Viper.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the hypothetical that Vipers become collector cars someday, I really wonder if keeping it stock makes a difference. I think most collector cars get a ground up restoration and they sell just fine. Nobody checks the exhaust for OEM parts...lol. As long as the numbers match and the car looks original, it will sell just fine in the collector market. The problem with collector cars is that the 'ultimate' version is always preferred. Now that they are putting out 600 HP plus, how does a 450 HP car stand up? Will style points prevail? There are some pretty ugly muscle cars getting big bucks because of the engines in them.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer handling...
To me, that is one of the weak points of a Viper, esp stock. I was shocked at how poorly it handled the first time I drove one. Don't ever drive a Posha or anything that 'turns' or 'stops'. I am not dogging the Viper, I love it, but handling is just not its forte. You MUST upgrade to have a good handling GTS. The upgrades can always be reversed, but you can't reverse going off the road into a tree or a pole becasue you missed a turn!

Reaction score
Gen3 Viper with standard Paxton installed with Corsa track exhaust 4.4 / Lbs. per HP. That puts it in some pretty stout territory for under $85K!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me, that is one of the weak points of a Viper, esp stock. I was shocked at how poorly it handled the first time I drove one. Don't ever drive a Posha or anything that 'turns' or 'stops'. I am not dogging the Viper, I love it, but handling is just not its forte. You MUST upgrade to have a good handling GTS. The upgrades can always be reversed, but you can't reverse going off the road into a tree or a pole becasue you missed a turn!

LOL What? I think you mean "difficult to handle" because there aren't many cars that pull away from a well driven Viper in the turns.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL What? I think you mean "difficult to handle" because there aren't many cars that pull away from a well driven Viper in the turns.

LMAO!!! What Chuck said EXACTLY!!! I have a basic stock gen.1, (lowered 1/2 inch), and very few cars pass me at the track.:lmao:

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought my 01, I was sure that I would never mod it. That lasted about 3 weeks. A guy at the gas station asked me to rev it, and neither one of us was very impressed by the sound. I keep all the old parts, but I'll never put them back on.

Once you get started on mods, it becomes your hobby. As far as reliability goes, so far, so good. The car runs as well or better today than when I bought it.

2001 Race Yellow GTS
Very Smooth Tubes, Jesel Rollin Rockers, Hurst Short Shifter, Random Tech Catback, RT High Flow Cats, Roe SC, Roe PCM, Dave's PS Pulley and Bracket, EBC Greens, LiveWires, Homemade Catch Can, Border Collie

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was "Bone Stock" when I bought it.:(

Checked for the "Bone", could not find it, so I started modifying it.:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I believe that the Viper is probably the sturdiest "starter platform" if you want to turn it into something that will rival the most exotic and overpriced so-called "Supercar" at a fraction of the price and with much improved reliability. :D

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I dont think I've seen you post here before ( I dont go on to the SRT board ever) but your name sure rings a bell....hrmmmm

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine was "Bone Stock" when I bought it.:(

Checked for the "Bone", could not find it, so I started modifying it.:rolleyes:

All kidding aside, I believe that the Viper is probably the sturdiest "starter platform" if you want to turn it into something that will rival the most exotic and overpriced so-called "Supercar" at a fraction of the price and with much improved reliability. :D
+1 (I totally agree.)

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO!!! What Chuck said EXACTLY!!! I have a basic stock gen.1, (lowered 1/2 inch), and very few cars pass me at the track.:lmao:
I don't care how good a driver you are, you will reduce your times by 2-3 seconds with a brake upgrade, same with suspension upgrades. Trying to say a stock Viper will beat a modified Viper on the track is stupid. Go to Viper Days and test your skill...you will get passed in a hurry by one of the Archer set up cars, no problem! I am not dissing you, its just a fact. Really. Ask anyone. Call John Archer, or ask Tommy if you want a driver's viewpoint. I believe Tommy's quote was "Vipers just don't turn.." But then, you are no doubt a better driver than Tommy Archer. Good for you! :2tu:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't care how good a driver you are, you will reduce your times by 2-3 seconds with a brake upgrade, same with suspension upgrades. Trying to say a stock Viper will beat a modified Viper on the track is stupid. Go to Viper Days and test your skill...you will get passed in a hurry by one of the Archer set up cars, no problem! I am not dissing you, its just a fact. Really. Ask anyone. Call John Archer, or ask Tommy if you want a driver's viewpoint. I believe Tommy's quote was "Vipers just don't turn.." But then, you are no doubt a better driver than Tommy Archer. Good for you! :2tu:

You said "handling" not braking. Take a ride with Ray Moore sometime to see what a stock Viper is capable of.

As for turn in you are correct, bone stock 275 fronts do tend to push in the turns. 315s remedy that nicely.

But being that Tommy is a pro his opinions are sorta like taking the advice of a wine connoisseur. I couldn't tell the difference between a $100 bottle and a $1,000 bottle but I can tell the difference between Boone's Farm and MD 20/20.

OP
OP
B

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You said "handling" not braking. Take a ride with Ray Moore sometime to see what a stock Viper is capable of.

As for turn in you are correct, bone stock 275 fronts do tend to push in the turns. 315s remedy that nicely.

But being that Tommy is a pro his opinions are sorta like taking the advice of a wine connoisseur. I couldn't tell the difference between a $100 bottle and a $1,000 bottle but I can tell the difference between Boone's Farm and MD 20/20.

I don't know what Ray has done to his car, but he runs MODIFIED in Viper Days, not STOCK. I can tell by looking at it that he isn't stock, its lowered, he runs lightweight wheels, prob has brake upgrades and engine mods too. To get to MODIFIED in VD, you need a min of 11 pts, only 3 of which come from being a GTS, and you get bonus for running some sponsor products, so his car is a long way from stock. I didn't mean for this to be a debate, I was just curious what the Viper World was doing. Again, there is NOTHING wrong with running a stock Viper, they are awesome cars.

I would love to have a bone stock 69 Z28, but I would probably drive it once and start modifying it. Due to my driving style, I would quickly find the limits of the car. Then again, I have friends would never find the limits of any stock car.

There is a difference between BF and MD? I learn something new every day! Enjoy your car, and don't worry, its all good! Save the wine for when you're walkin! :2tu:

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to highjack the thread, just two quick question: what front rim width do you use for these 315's? Track only?

Vypr Phil

sss620

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2000 GTS RED Stock suspension and want to lower it. I am also thinking of the Aldans. Can you let me know when you put them on and how the car drives,handling, etc.
Thanks
Steve Sek

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know what Ray has done to his car, but he runs MODIFIED in Viper Days, not STOCK. I can tell by looking at it that he isn't stock, its lowered, he runs lightweight wheels, prob has brake upgrades and engine mods too. To get to MODIFIED in VD, you need a min of 11 pts, only 3 of which come from being a GTS, and you get bonus for running some sponsor products, so his car is a long way from stock. I didn't mean for this to be a debate, I was just curious what the Viper World was doing. Again, there is NOTHING wrong with running a stock Viper, they are awesome cars.

I would love to have a bone stock 69 Z28, but I would probably drive it once and start modifying it. Due to my driving style, I would quickly find the limits of the car. Then again, I have friends would never find the limits of any stock car.

There is a difference between BF and MD? I learn something new every day! Enjoy your car, and don't worry, its all good! Save the wine for when you're walkin! :2tu:

Ray moved to modified this year or last I believe. He was always fast even before he went to mod.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to highjack the thread, just two quick question: what front rim width do you use for these 315's? Track only?

Vypr Phil

I believe they are twelve inch. I have a Forgeline set and a Purner set and I think they are the same width.

I run stock rims on the street but you could run the wider rim if you wanted.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mine is totally stock 20Km 2000 GTS/ACR with original tires. I'm fight hard the mod temptation... I'm going to be defeated very soon so please send your donation to help a brother out...

G

grcforce327

Gen I bone stock exhaust sound is embarrassing,as are the wheels!Changing alot on the car,and will NEVER go back to stock!!!