How Many Gen-1 Original Head Gaskets??

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many Gen-1 cars are still running original head gaskets? How many miles? Has anyone retourqed the heads to help avoid the "time bomb" head gasket leaks? If so, do you need to remove the rockers? A lot of mixed opinions on this topic, just wondering if I should make this my winter project or test fate. :usa:

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my gasket (one side) started to leak, did I just retorqued it, worked fine for me. You don't need to remove the rockers.
I changed my head gaskets this season, but that was because of other reasons.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1995 RT/10. Original gaskets. No retorquing. 34,000 miles. No runs, leaks or errors. If/when I replace them it will be because of internal engine mods. Most of the Gen I owners I know have NOT replaced the gaskets.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'94 with ~61,000 miles. No tightening, no leaks. My personal opinion, and my know-how here is marginal, is that the OEM gaskets probably rusted/corroded due to their steel construction and aluminum block and heads. A good pink coolant or frequent green coolant flushes probably makes a difference.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
had mine about a month now, checked it over pretty good. no signs of leaking or being apart. has 21K on it. :laugh:

rhansenjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our '94 has 25,000 miles, no problems. It has been inspected for signs of leaks each of the last three years at annual inspection and service by the Viper tech at Contemporary Dodge Chrysler (John Bisset).

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1995 with 2,000 miles no problems. Only significant because everyone says the garage queens are the first to go. Yes I do drive it as much as I can. I bought it in the spring with 1,300 on the clock. Wet summer in Ohio.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 94 had the engine replaced at 95k for head gaskets. This was under the first owners extended warranty.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1996 RT/10. Had mine replaced under warranty at 24K miles about 1 1/2 years ago. Car now has 29K miles. Noticed coolant tracks on engine block. Viper tech here in Houston performed the gasket replacement.

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were replaced in my 94 last year w/ 28,000 miles on them. 33,500 now, and no signs of leaking. Gaskets replaced (under warranty) - no Arrow rebuild.

F

fazzy

95 RT10, 37000 miles - just blew both of the head gaskets last week :)

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old 95 RT/10 had the gaskets replaced under warranty at 28k. What really erked me was the fact I bought it from BUHLER DODGE and they said, "We had our Viper Tech check it out and it is perfect (and since I live 1/2 of the US away, I said okay)."

Same day I got it from the trailer and pulled it into the garage, I found a nice puddle of fluid under my RT. Luckly, I had the warranty for the car, so it didn't cost me anything. I expected more from such a "great" Viper dealer (and will never buy from them again).

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I am glad there is nothing scientific going on with regard to this poll. I have heard everything from:

"It's not if, but when"

to

"Most Gen I owners I know have never had the problem"

I can imagine that someone at DC has a nifty little spreadsheet with the exact numbers. Stuff breaks surely, but to have mine go twice within 9k miles doesn't make me feel better.

F

fazzy

How much does the head gasket repair job cost assuming it does go?

If I were to do it again I'd probably charge the customer about $600 including the gaskets. ;) Though not many Vipers around here to service :smirk:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang