How many of you carry a fire extinguisher? Saw a brutual car fire today :(

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was actually curious and thinking about this the other day...

If you buy the extinguisher and the bracket and mount it to the passenger side seat, would you still be able to move the seat forward and back to adjust it? Or once the extinguisher and bracket are mounted you can't move the seat at all? :confused:

On my GEN II...the seat still adjusts, but it doesn't come as far forward as before.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a firefighters take....if your car is on fire, get out and get away from it.

Think about how much time it takes to open a Gen 1I/II hood (4 part procedure). Think about it for a second, while you're fiddling around opening the latch, then the safety, then lifting the front, then opening from the back, that small fire could become a fully involved engine fire or worse, there could be an explosion.

You are wearing STREET CLOTHES that burn. If it is any kind of decent fire, when you open the hood (before you have a chance to aim and blast the extinguisher) YOU could be what's burning!

We wear full body protection including Nomex fire hood with the mask....and still we can get burned.

You must be registered for see images attach

So, it's nice to know you have an extinguisher in the car, but think carefully before you go charging in trying to save your Viper....remember, its a car and you have insurance...it can be replaced. Burns are the worst injury to have, you can't replace your face.....THINK!

Just my opinion.

By the way, Dave, I do like the look of the Roe unit installed in front of your pass. seat.

Last edited:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a firefighters take....if your car is on fire, get out and get away from it.

Think about how much time it takes to open a Gen 1I/II hood (4 part procedure). Think about it for a second, while you're fiddling around opening the latch, then the safety, then lifting the front, then opening from the back, that small fire could become a fully involved engine fire or worse, there could be an explosion.

You are wearing STREET CLOTHES that burn. If it is any kind of decent fire, when you open the hood (before you have a chance to aim and blast the extinguisher) YOU could be what's burning!

We wear full body protection including Nomex fire hood with the mask....and still we can get burned.

You must be registered for see images attach

So, it's nice to know you have an extinguisher in the car, but think carefully before you go charging in trying to save your Viper....remember, its a car and you have insurance...it can be replaced. Burns are the worst injury to have, you can't replace your face.....THINK!

Just my opinion.

By the way, Dave, I do like the look of the Roe unit installed in front of your pass. seat.

Is that "Game, Set, Match" for this discussion???

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After this thread, I'm kinda doubting if I would use my extinguisher. Half burnt car and possible half burnt me....not very tempting. Oh well, I'll keep it for just in case some hotties Honda Civic catches on fire one day. Or some rich guy's Ferrari (I believe all Ferrari's catch fire at some point)...just so I can be like "how's it feel to be saved by a Dodge owner"? :D

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a nice (expensive) Benz CL 500 that was on fire, and BEFORE the Fire Department got to the car it exploded!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_gNpTPLltM[/media]

Would you want to be standing at the (Viper) hood trying to use a fire extinguisher when that happens?

Sorry, Sean, not trying to hurt sales, just trying to point out the dangers of "Do-It-Youself" fire protection.

I do like the Roe unit and will probably buy it.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As someone with a fire safety/evacuation certification, you might consider the classification for a fire extinguisher because a PS fluid fire is not the same as an electrical fire.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is true, but assume that a fire extinguster being sold for car use is A/B/C fires and dry-chem:

Dry chemical extinguishers come in a variety of types and are suitable for a combination of class A, B and C fires. These are filled with foam or powder and pressurized with nitrogen.
BC - This is the regular type of dry chemical extinguisher. It is filled with sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. The BC variety leaves a mildly corrosive residue which must be cleaned immediately to prevent any damage to materials.
ABC - This is the multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher. The ABC type is filled with monoammonium phosphate, a yellow powder that leaves a sticky residue that may be damaging to electrical appliances such as a computer​

The Roe unit is dry-chem, ABC rated:
This 2.5 lb. Class ABC dry chemical extinguisher is attached to a custom bracket that is mounted to the forward side of the passenger seat bracket. Allows forward and back movement of the seat and stays under the passenger's legs.

Another danger, for Gen III/IV are the pressurized hood struts. They explose in some case as act like schrapnel when they explode.

Not trying to be a nay sayer, but just want to point out the dangers here. In the end, you have to make the decision as to what you want to do. I wanted to arm everyone with knowledge about the dangers, so at least you can make an educated decision.

Btw, I'm a CT/Nationally certified interior firefighter.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the extinguisher, your seats look awesome. Who did the work? I'm afraid to ask how much that cost.

Modified (shortened) Roe mount

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For Chad and his burning hot ******'s Girls, we do not have an extinguisher class rating....they're just TOO HOT!:D

Besides, why cool them down!:headbang:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For .... his burning hot ******'s Girls, we do not have an extinguisher class rating....they're just TOO HOT!:D

Besides, why cool them down!:headbang:

Yes we do, sadly the forum censor will not allow me to post the explanation :rolaugh:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly, in Europe, you are required to carry a fire extinguisher in all cars...or at least in Belgium.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not as far as I know, but maybe I am not up to speed on current regulation. For our taxi inspection mark it IS required in addition to a first aid kit (extinguisher needs inspection label that is current, kit needs valid durability date) though.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My company's European home office was located in Brussels and my friend was moved there for three years. He told me, while I was there, that all passenger cars had to have a fire extinguisher.

Dave, didn't you install Gen III/IV seats that have the suede inserts? Did you then have the Sneaky Pete logo embroidered on them? Those seats look awesome!

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on an 8 lane highway 14 years ago and traffic started to slow. As I progressed I could see black smoke rising up on the opposite side of the highway - a car was on the shoulder and burning. As I got closer I could see a few people running around the car and a frantic woman screaming. As I got beside the car (6 lanes or so across) the entire front of the car was engulfed in flames. In the back seat were 2 kids. A man was trying to open the door but it was locked. Something ruptured and there was an explosion at the front of the car and the people started to flee. I don't know what happened after that....It was like watching a movie... It didn't hit me till that evening that I DID NOTHING. Worse yet, a guy who worked for me sitting beside me was 6'8" and the strongest guy I ever met. We also had tools in the back of the truck. It was a situation of complete disassociation from reality. I am reminded of this scene weekly for the last 14 years, but after that occaison was to determined to never, EVER, NOT assist in a dire situation ever again. I outfitted the trucks with fire extinguishers after that incident. I have stopped at numerous accidents since then and assisted in the best way possible. What I have found to be even more indespensible than an extinguisher is a hammer or a tire iron. I ALWAYS have one under the seat. Its amazing how often people are locked in their vehicle and can't get out - either because they are incapacitated or frenzied and not thinking. I've also seen cops use the back end of their mag flashlight or their baton.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that. In some states we are required to assist and can be held liable especially if an EMT.

If you feel you need to be prepared, we use a tool called a haligan. Its like a pickhead on one end and a prybar on the other. Invaluable at motor vehicle accident and every type of call we have. I keep a spare set of fire gear in my car for emergencies.

Now, all that I said goes out the window if there are people trapped in a burning car. Fir those not in the fire department, it is a personal decision whether you want to risk your life for others. We train for situations like that.

Just something to think about! You have family to go home to.

Last edited:

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since my RT is red, I'll go with the Roe unit...priced better also!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not as impressed with some Snake Oyl products. Their extinguisher looks small compared to the bracket. I have had good luck with the stuff I get from Sean's place, so I'll stick with his.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is true, but assume that a fire extinguster being sold for car use is A/B/C fires and dry-chem:

Dry chemical extinguishers come in a variety of types and are suitable for a combination of class A, B and C fires. These are filled with foam or powder and pressurized with nitrogen.
BC - This is the regular type of dry chemical extinguisher. It is filled with sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. The BC variety leaves a mildly corrosive residue which must be cleaned immediately to prevent any damage to materials.
ABC - This is the multipurpose dry chemical extinguisher. The ABC type is filled with monoammonium phosphate, a yellow powder that leaves a sticky residue that may be damaging to electrical appliances such as a computer​

The Roe unit is dry-chem, ABC rated:
This 2.5 lb. Class ABC dry chemical extinguisher is attached to a custom bracket that is mounted to the forward side of the passenger seat bracket. Allows forward and back movement of the seat and stays under the passenger's legs.

Another danger, for Gen III/IV are the pressurized hood struts. They explose in some case as act like schrapnel when they explode.

Not trying to be a nay sayer, but just want to point out the dangers here. In the end, you have to make the decision as to what you want to do. I wanted to arm everyone with knowledge about the dangers, so at least you can make an educated decision.

Btw, I'm a CT/Nationally certified interior firefighter.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for the info.

If someone had the room (like a full size pickup or SUV) and wanted to carry an extinguisher not to save the car but to help in case people were trapped, would a CO2 type be the best? My thought was it might knock down the fire and heat long enough to help get someone out, then the oxygen comes back and the fire would probably re-ignite.

Does CO2 work well for shooting through the front grill without opening the hood to knock down the fire temporarily?

On a side note, I've always been taught not to store anything CO2 inside the cars passenger compartment because if it leaks it can put you to sleep and kill you....so if you carry a CO2 unit it has to be outside the passenger compartment. This came to up when a friend was camping in Baja with an old VW van and had dry ice in the ice chest inside the van. At first he couldn't figure out why his candle flame kept getting smaller and smaller until he figure out the dry ice was evaporating and displacing the oxygen. Could be dangerous if he had fallen asleep.

Thanks in advance,

George

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice thought! My feeling is that even for the purpose of helping others during a fire emergency, that a dry-chem A/B/C extinguisher made for auto use would be the best. The powder used in this type of extinguisher will also cut the oxygen...certainly reduce the fire to help extricate anyone trapped inside a burning car.

As far as spraying through the grill, depends on the car. Most all cars have both the radiator and the condensor for the A/C in the front and would block most of the foam from getting through. If its your own hood you're talking about, which opens from the front, you could try staying low and open the hood and see what happens. If its a small electrical fire in the engine compartment, then you could try it. Its a personal decision at the time and according to the situation.

Generally, I don't condone trying to put out a decent sized fire by yourself.

Peter

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An ex GF of mine had an uncle that retired after 30 years serving the Fort Worth FD. He had the gold plated axe over the mantle mounted on a plaque etc. I asked him about car fires as I had recently seen one at the time. He said he'd been to thousands of car fires and had never seen a car explode. I still believe him, and would not be concerned with that when deciding whether or not to try and extinguish a car fire. The choice would be more focused on the limited capacity of my extinguisher versus the current size of the fire.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it seems like this thread keeps going back and fourth in the sense where yes, you should have an extinguisher and then no it's not a good idea? :dunno:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave --->> yes I have one.

Dave --->> yes I will use it if I can do so without injury.

Dave --->> not concerned about car exploding let alone the fact that if the fire is already that big I'm smart enough to realize my extinguisher is too small, or i can't even get to it as the fire is too big, or more than likely I died in a car wreck that subsequently caught fire and I could care less about the car burning because I'm dead.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave --->> yes I have one.

Dave --->> yes I will use it if I can do so without injury.

Dave --->> not concerned about car exploding let alone the fact that if the fire is already that big I'm smart enough to realize my extinguisher is too small, or i can't even get to it as the fire is too big, or more than likely I died in a car wreck that subsequently caught fire and I could care less about the car burning because I'm dead.

Dave, good points there lol. As an interior upgrade, I think it kinda looks cool mounted under the passenger seat too!