How many of you carry a fire extinguisher? Saw a brutual car fire today :(

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a fire extinguisher the moment after I saw a video of some guy filming (on his phone) his Viper burning to the ground.....I'd be crying if I couldn't do anything and watching my car turn into a useless blob.

Regards,
Aaron

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a fire extinguisher fitted behind the passenger seat - nice and easy to get at in a hurry.
Some might dislike seeing it in such open view but it doesn't bother me.
Ade.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jon, didn't you used to sell a fire extinguisher on your site? I sware I thought I remember seeing a picture of one within the inventory listed on your site....I just looked before and didn't see one, so I thought I'd ask.

Daves Brakes had em, we sold his. Just have brackets and/or Snake Oyl red or chrome

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed Tactics

check out there Gen2 fire extinguisher bracket :2tu:

Those are nice! I think I might buy one from that site, definitely want chrome.... just not sure on which size to get..1.5 or 2.5, but apparently they only sell the 2.5 :dunno:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would never carry an extinguisher. I DONT WANT A HALF BURNT CAR !!!

PS: roe has the nicest one ive seen

I agree with Plum... and here is why.

A couple of years ago I pulled up in front of my wife's school on field trip day. The mom of one of the other students pulled up in a newer Ranger Rover. Smoke was coming from the dash and from under the hood.

We opened the hood and I saw that it was an electrical fire so I ran to my car, and grabbed a wrench. Now the smoke is really pouring out. I disconnected the battery while she called the fire department. Fortunately, the fire did little damage. I felt good thinking that I done my good dead for the day.

A couple of weeks later, I saw the mom again and asked her about the car. She got all fired up and said, "You should have let it burn. The insurance won't cover the repair and now I am fighting with the dealership!"

So, unless there is somebody inside, burn, baby, burn!

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Plum... and here is why.

A couple of years ago I pulled up in front of my wife's school on field trip day. The mom of one of the other students pulled up in a newer Ranger Rover. Smoke was coming from the dash and from under the hood.

We opened the hood and I saw that it was an electrical fire so I ran to my car, and grabbed a wrench. Now the smoke is really pouring out. I disconnected the battery while she called the fire department. Fortunately, the fire did little damage. I felt good thinking that I done my good dead for the day.

A couple of weeks later, I saw the mom again and asked her about the car. She got all fired up and said, "You should have let it burn. The insurance won't cover the repair and now I am fighting with the dealership!"

So, unless there is somebody inside, burn, baby, burn!

This makes complete sense, but still... I could never just stand there and watch my car burn :crazy2:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost lost my TT.....:omg:

Oil return came off the turbo...

Thank God I had an extinguisher in the car!!!! And a second extinguisher in my truck, which the gf was driving behind me....

I replaced the extinguisher and had a halon system installed within a week.....

Scared me so much I had halon and an extinguisher installed in each car I own...

Cheap considering what the loss could be....:dunno:

fireee.jpg

firee.jpg

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yikes... although I don't have a TT and my car is N/A.. I think I might have to invest in a Fire Extinguisher this summer for sure... So far I think I like the setup from SpeedTactics, the Chrome HalGuard[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] Clean Agent Fire Extinguisher with bracket.
[/FONT]

Almost lost my TT.....:omg:

Oil return came off the turbo...

Thank God I had an extinguisher in the car!!!! And a second extinguisher in my truck, which the gf was driving behind me....

I replaced the extinguisher and had a halon system installed within a week.....

Scared me so much I had halon and an extinguisher installed in each car I own...

Cheap considering what the loss could be....:dunno:

fireee.jpg

firee.jpg

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep know how you feel on that one, I had an engine fire in my old cobra, I had a 2ltr AFF extinguisher in the car that did not put out the fire so we ran into a near by restaurant and used their extinguisher to put out the flames :( over $10,000 damage!

In the Viper I now carry a BIG Co2 extinguisher strapped down in the rear and in my daily driver Van I carry 2 extinguishers

Also a point worth making is how this affected my insurance, being as no other parties were involved I claimed on the insurance and this cost me my bonus :( the following year my premium doubled :(

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its just a car. its too easy to replace. some of you guys get way too attached to it..its sad.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its always fun showing my stupidity. What is a St Christopher?

ST Chris is known as the patron Saint of travelers and us Catholic types (and others ) often have little St Chris medals in our cars. I am not sure when all this started St Chris envisioned 200MPH V10s . I would not, however try putting out a fire with one. As you point out, that is better left to St Geico and others.

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember my father tuning his Dodge Custom 880 and I saw him at the end of the road and smoke, then flames... then he put it out with rags and t-shirt or maybe a jacket. =D

I want an extinguisher... if it is too late it is too late, but if you catch it quick that is what I will use it, and for stranded motorist.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I carry one in my Viper, some of the races I attend require one. I made this simple mounting bracket out of 1" aluminum flat bar, it works great and uses the seat bolts to secure it in place. You can build one with a drill and a saw. I mounted mine at the front of the driver's seat, within easy reach.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tony

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also built this one for my Z06, it was even easier to do.

Tony

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was actually curious and thinking about this the other day...

If you buy the extinguisher and the bracket and mount it to the passenger side seat, would you still be able to move the seat forward and back to adjust it? Or once the extinguisher and bracket are mounted you can't move the seat at all? :confused:

OP
OP
C

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You know the more I think about this, my mind is kinda changing from when I originally posted this thread. Plum and some others make sense; If I'm fully insured, so I really want a half burned car? Probably not, so the only real question is, would repairing the car if it happened and I sustained a good amount of damage be better then just being paid for the "totalled" value, most likely not, plus it would have a fire history. Hmmmm, I don't know anymore, I see both sides now.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know the more I think about this, my mind is kinda changing from when I originally posted this thread. Plum and some others make sense; If I'm fully insured, so I really want a half burned car? Probably not, so the only real question is, would repairing the car if it happened and I sustained a good amount of damage be better then just being paid for the "totalled" value, most likely not, plus it would have a fire history. Hmmmm, I don't know anymore, I see both sides now.

I guess, if you think it looks cool buy one, or if you think it's beneficial to have one to help someone else out. I'm considering getting one, but only after I buy everything else I want. I'm also in the process of trying to get my car with all mods I've done fully insurred through Grundy at a much higher coverage then my local insurrance place is. I will most likely post a thread in regards to it, if they accept what I want to insure my car for.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know how bad the powder in the extinguisher is for the paint, electrical corrosion, etc. I thought the powder can often cause more damage than a small fire since it's very corrosive, especially when mixed with water. Etches paint, gets into electrical connections, etc.

Anybody know for sure?

If the vehicle has started to really burn, the small extinguishers shown in the pics (the kind mounted to the front of the passenger seat) usually won't be enough to make a dent in the fire, it puts out the flame then the fire usually re-ignites. :(

George

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know how bad the powder in the extinguisher is for the paint, electrical corrosion, etc. I thought the powder can often cause more damage than a small fire since it's very corrosive, especially when mixed with water. Etches paint, gets into electrical connections, etc.

Anybody know for sure?

I was actually wondering this too... :confused:

If the vehicle has started to really burn, the small extinguishers shown in the pics (the kind mounted to the front of the passenger seat) usually won't be enough to make a dent in the fire, it puts out the flame then the fire usually re-ignites. :(

George

Don't they make two different sizes to fit in the Viper? I thought I saw 1.5lbs and 2.5lbs Fire extinguishers? But then again.. I guess either size wouldn't fully put out a fire.. :dunno:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery