How many of you guys make less than $ 50,000.00 a year ?

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a single guy, own my own home and a Viper. I work my butt off trying to make ends meet and will do what ever I have to do to keep my car. With the car payments, insurance, up keep, maintanence, improvements, and the rising cost of gas it's getting tough ! I read a lot of posts about guys who own 2, 3, 4 and even more Vipers and I see pictures of some of you guys cars parked in front of beautiful and very expensive houses, and to you people I give a tip of my hat and congratulations to your success in life! But I was just wondering how many poor slobs like me are out there scrimping and saving every day to afford the car of their dreams. I make $ 45,000.00 a year, A poor man trying to play a rich mans game.

Bo wonders about this ??

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me as one of the poor slobs.

45K aint much these days, but if the man upstairs calls your ticket tomorrow do you wanna leave this world with a Viper or a bank account?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sure it can be done. but gonna take a serious effort.

problem is with the upkeep more than the purchase price. and that it is an EXTRA car and you need EXTRA cash to support it. im NOT a real big dollar guy and i can make it happen cause i want it bad enough and have saved for 14 years to get it. (most of it in the 2 years prior to buying it)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upkeep? Like what? The car is as durable as any in it's class.

Normal maintenance is not overly pricey. Plugs $1.19 ea. wires $64. Oil + filter $60. Brake pads are average price, stock used rotors are free + shipping.

Tires are pricey but that's about it for regular maintenance.

Work-wise, even for the most difficult jobs the Viper is one of the easiest cars on the road to work on.

Just don't bang up any of the body. $$$

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also depends where you live. Here on Long Island we have very high taxes and utility costs. I doubt there is anyone that owns a Viper here that makes under 50K a year and owns a home, there is just no way to stretch it that far.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chuck, im talking about the prices on fixing anything that goes. it seems to cost more for EVERYTHING that breaks. upkeep was not the best word to use.

also everything is like 20% more due to the 10 cylinders over 8.

98viperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am in that Boat and I make well under 50K a year. However I do other jobs in my spare time that help with the bills. I just stay focused and save every cent to go towards my cars.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
upkeep was not the best word to use.

also everything is like 20% more due to the 10 cylinders over 8.

Fair enough. There is always the "Viper" tax to be concerned about with aftermarket and stock.

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the average portrait photographer earns around $21,000 a year. You have to be creative, like make your car a business write off or sale advertising on the side of it. I'd hate to have to sale the house.

5842bumble_bee_2.jpg

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well after the house, wife, 2 kids, bills, taxes, vacations, investments, savings,charity, etc etc....I make about $4.23 a year so yea...anything is possible. :laugh:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for myself, so my income can change from year to year. I’ll put as much money away, when times are good, to help balance when times are bad. I think long and hard before buying something and them I’ll take care of it and keep it forever, i.e. I still drive a 1988 Chevy Van I bought new and It has 245,000 miles on it. My Viper is the first sports car I’ve ever owned in my life. I’ve never even owned a car with a stick shift.

My point, to people that don’t know me, I may look like I’m doing OK and maybe I am now, but I’ve had to work hard to get here which is one of the reasons I love owning a Viper. For an exclusive, low production sports car, It’s the best value for your dollar and it shows other that your are successful.

Especially if your own TWO, Chuck

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper tax? Even less with the guvmint monkey on your back.

I paid $28k in federal income, state income, medicare payroll, social security payroll, and real property taxes last year.

This number doesn't include the 18.4% federal gasoline tax or the 20% state gasoline tax included in the price of every gallon of gas purchased.

Nor does it include the 8.25% sales tax paid on goods & services rendered for the calendar year, notwithstanding hotel taxes and motor vehicle excise taxes.

It also doesn't cover the utility taxes I pay for natural gas, electricity, and phone.

Nor does it include alcohol or tobacco taxes.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the military with a wife a 2 kids. I got a great deal on my Viper, and I can work on it myself. The Dodge place wants $90.00 for an oil change that I can do myself for much less. If you drive the car like a normal person, and not like it's a race every time you get in it, tires last a long time. My wife and I pay cash for just about everything, and rarely carry a balance on the credit cards. I can afford a Viper because I'm not up to my ears in debt. Modifications are another story, I have to save a while and get the bast bang for the buck.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two years ago, I was making like $35K. Now I switched careers, and make a hell of a lot more. Now I can afford my car, back then, NO WAY!!

I wouldn't even consider owning a Viper if I made less than $50K per year.

GTSPOWERED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is not only your income that counts as much as the house hold income. I make a little better than 50k a year but my wife makes much better than that. It all goes into one pool but that is what gives me my GTS.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Count me in as 1 of the under $50k guys. I got a pretty good deal on my Viper and I'm careful not to waste a lot of money buying stuff I dont need or paying too much for the stuff I do need. Knowing how to manage your $$ is often more important than how much you make.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem with making more money, is more people have their hands out looking for donations. Since I started making some cash (I make low 6 figures, not ELEVENTY BILLION DOLLARS or anything), I have had to buy my sister a car, and a bunch of other stuff. My mother is disabled, so I have to spend money non-stop on her. I've spent many thousands on crap for her. It's a pain. If it wasn't for them, I'd have a nicer house and more cars.

But then again, family is more important to me than anything I could drive.

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Big Medicine

It sounds like you may have paid more in taxes last year than I made all year ! Kwitcherbichn, I wish I had that problem !! LOL !!

Bo knows

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, but the old adage is true, you make it you spend it. I bet I have the same amount left over as you do when it's all said & done.

So I'm looking for leaks. Taxes are leaks to me.

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be possibly looking to join this category of Viper owner. However, it may be a bit delayed as my wife persues her master's degree. I agree with others who have said it's not how much you make, it's how you manage it. We have 2 decent incomes and no credit card debt. I honestly think I can swing it in a few years after our cars are paid off.

Kiaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I make well under 50k, but I'm very good with money management and I live comfortably.

Daddy Long Stroke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....and WOW can a good tax person make a huge difference.

Just make they are certified. None of that "My boy does it on the side" crap!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in the military with a wife a 2 kids. I got a great deal on my Viper, and I can work on it myself. The Dodge place wants $90.00 for an oil change that I can do myself for much less. If you drive the car like a normal person, and not like it's a race every time you get in it, tires last a long time. My wife and I pay cash for just about everything, and rarely carry a balance on the credit cards. I can afford a Viper because I'm not up to my ears in debt. Modifications are another story, I have to save a while and get the bast bang for the buck.

Where are you stationed? I'm in the Army and doing a little better than $50K. Pilots pffffft, what are you going to do?! :D

OP
OP
B

Bo knows

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Danfromohio,

Like Chuck said in the second reply on this post "If the man upstairs calls your ticket do you wanna leave this world with a Viper or a bank account." If you want a Viper buy one now ! Life is too short, get out and enjoy it now !! You never know how long you're going to be around. For a person with a modest income I have enjoyed many fine things in this life. If I see something I want I find a way to get it. I love to see the look on peoples faces when they come over to my modest house and I open up the door to my modest garage and they see a sparkling red Dodge Viper sitting in it. Its priceless !!

Poor slob Bo

revived_gearhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as Andrew. Own my own business that is related to the weather. When times are good, they're good. But always have to plan for that rainy day or long Winter. I've wanted a Viper for years, but thought they would never be as affordable as they are today. I was looking to purchase a late model 4x4 truck, but the wife said the current truck was still kicking, why not buy a Viper! BINGO!!!! Purchased my '95 RT/10 with 20K miles for 34K. Less than any truck I was looking at. Trying to convince my neighbors that we really didn't hit the lottery is a different story!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I get $40 bucks a week allowance. I'm thinking of asking for a raise.

Viper23

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I make less than 45k a year....and have 2 vipers and a large house and lots of stuff. I think it is because my wife makes over $400k a year... :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang