How many of you have lost control of your Viper ? ( On the street)

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met a VCA member this weekend that Crashed his 2002 GTS into a Telephone Pole ..His Snake had less than 7000 Miles on it and it's a total write off.
He said that the back end kicked out and he lost control..I've heard some crazy statistics like 30% of all Viper owners crash there car within the first 90 days.

What have your experiences been ?? Any close calls?

Cheers

Jeff

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Had a close call last summer...

Was getting off an exit that banks right, then left, and continues straight. It was warm out, day time. The exit ramp was made out of concrete, and rated at 30 MPH, I was doing 40 MPH. The exit is 1 lane, concrete barier on the left, mile markers on the right, with a grasy plain about 10 feet deep off the right, which then rose like a hill after 15 feet.

Anyone who knows the Viper's handling, knows that 40 in a 30 zone is peanuts...except for that day. As I was going off the exit, I completed the right bank, but as I started into the left bank, the front end started to drift out. I tried to correct slowly, but the front end drifted off the concrete road, onto the blacktop shoulder. As soon as I hit the shoulder, the front end grabbed the gound QUICK, and spun the back end of the car around to the right, at the same time shooting the front end BACK onto the concrete section, out of harms way. The car did a complete 180, and I slid off the road SIDEWAYS and BACKWARDS, between 2 mile markers, and rolled about 10 feet up the hill. I jumped out of the car, and immediatly called for help on my phone. While I was waitng for someone to pick up the other end, I started to walk around in a daze and thought the car was totaled. But to my surprise...there wasnt any damage! I hung up, checked everything out, and hopped back in, cranked it over, and took off. went to a parking lot to gather myself, and check over the car again. Aside from a 1x1 scuff in the bottom driver corner of the bumper...there was NOTHING. A good wash job, and it was good as new. Put it on the dealers alignment machine, nothing had shifted. Good deal.

I went back to the scene the next day, come to find out the concrete was polished as smooth as glass! NO WONDER IT HAPPENED! you could literally see a reflection in it. Also, I discovered I missed a milemarker with the back bumber, by SIX INCHES.

Scariest part bar non was the split second I was facing the concrete wall... My heart STOPPED.

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most people would be liars if they said they have not "lost control" of the snake once...not to be confused with totalling it.

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I lost control of the Vipe tonight (in a parking lot). I valet it at a restaurant here and they parked a porsche targa in front of it.

Sacriledge my Brothers.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Four times in the first month the back end came around on me... I never left the road, and never hit anything (all were <25mph) :crazy: .

Zero times since - and it's been over two years now, knock on wood :D .

Being over ten years since I had a car with over 400hp, it just took a month to re-learn the "basics".

On the other hand (not to change the thread), I've AVOIDED several collisions, here's the best two:
* Head on collision - YES, they crossed over the line and cam head-on up my side of the road - I cut to the shoulder and we missed by a few feet. They had come around the corner to fast, lost it, and were coming straight at me.
* Two ladies who pulled along side me at a light to admire the car, then just three blocks later, I slowed to turn in a driveway, I check the review mirror and see they're NOT slowing down... the best part was I could CLEARLY see the SIDES of both their faces (talking to each other and gesturing towards me) but NEITHER of them actually LOOKING at the road ahead (me slowing down for the turn)! I straightened the wheel and jammed the gas, at the same time (the noise maybe) the looked ahead, saw me and locked up their breaks... had I not gotten out of the way, we would have been exchanging phone numbers. :mad:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a close call last summer...

Was getting off an exit that banks right, then left, and continues straight. It was warm out, day time. The exit ramp was made out of concrete, and rated at 30 MPH, I was doing 40 MPH. The exit is 1 lane, concrete barier on the left, mile markers on the right, with a grasy plain about 10 feet deep off the right, which then rose like a hill after 15 feet.

Anyone who knows the Viper's handling, knows that 40 in a 30 zone is peanuts...except for that day. As I was going off the exit, I completed the right bank, but as I started into the left bank, the front end started to drift out. I tried to correct slowly, but the front end drifted off the concrete road, onto the blacktop shoulder. As soon as I hit the shoulder, the front end grabbed the gound QUICK, and spun the back end of the car around to the right, at the same time shooting the front end BACK onto the concrete section, out of harms way. The car did a complete 180, and I slid off the road SIDEWAYS and BACKWARDS, between 2 mile markers, and rolled about 10 feet up the hill. I jumped out of the car, and immediatly called for help on my phone. While I was waitng for someone to pick up the other end, I started to walk around in a daze and thought the car was totaled. But to my surprise...there wasnt any damage! I hung up, checked everything out, and hopped back in, cranked it over, and took off. went to a parking lot to gather myself, and check over the car again. Aside from a 1x1 scuff in the bottom driver corner of the bumper...there was NOTHING. A good wash job, and it was good as new. Put it on the dealers alignment machine, nothing had shifted. Good deal.

I went back to the scene the next day, come to find out the concrete was polished as smooth as glass! NO WONDER IT HAPPENED! you could literally see a reflection in it. Also, I discovered I missed a milemarker with the back bumber, by SIX INCHES.

Scariest part bar non was the split second I was facing the concrete wall... My heart STOPPED.

I have a VERY similar story! I thought my car was done, but there wasn't a scratch on it! :headbang:

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Feedback Guys ! The reason I ask is because I'm not famliar with the handleing/Performance Characteristics of the Viper..The Day I puchased my RT I had it shipped off to Heffners.

I'm glad that my car will have a Boost Controller..Sounds like the back end of these baby's can be very unpredictable.

I owned a 700 HP Blown C5 before I purchased my RT and that car was Very foregiving and manageable ..It took me a little while to grow into the Power but I never felt nervous or uneasy about stepping on the Throttle.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Two times when I was showing off in the car I quickly accelerated to around 100MPH, and then I was coming up on an intersection and downshifted 3rd to 2nd and both times, the rear-end kicked out sharply.

Both times I put the clutch right back in, corrected the steering and stepped ******* the brakes, and it came out fine. But both times it scared the heck out of me!

After two years I've found that the Viper handles VERY well, but it does have a distinctly different feel at the limit compared to my previous Corvette.

After getting your Viper back from Heffners I'd definitely take a Viper track day class (or two) because you have two strikes against you.
One for not being familiar with the Viper,
and the other not being familiar with a super-powered Viper.

I don't see the Viper's handling as being flawed at all, it's just the nature of performance cars with 500ftlbs of torque and no electronic safeguards like traction control. Then if you add a heap MORE power on top of that (without having lots of at-the-limit seat time in the Viper) you are truly tempting fate. :eek:

-Dean.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I owned a 700 HP Blown C5 before I purchased my RT and that car was Very foregiving and manageable .."

Why would that be? Did you have traction control?

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep mine on a point and shoot mode. I make sure I'm pointing the wheels straight ahead before I get into it. The rears spin but the car goes straight.

-Lou

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are dangerous. They really need a traction control system. Even the SRT can be very unpredictable. I've had a few close calls in all three Vipers. The first was the worst. I could smell the paint on the guard-rail along with the burning rubber. A large open (isolated) parking lot, or a low speed autocross course is a must for newbies! Even with years of experience, a snake on cold tires is a spin ready to happen.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hell, just 2 days ago at <25MPH I had a 180 spinout when turning onto the street next to work - nothing hit, no problems, think it was due to black ice here because it wasn't fast or any application of gas/brake involved.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Spin outs on turns seem to be the most common error of rookies and I can say that I also spun mine out the first month I had it. Tires may have played a part in my 180. My '93 had only 7000 miles, stored in heated garage etc, and the tread LOOKED good. But after 10 years - no matter how much tread you have - the tires will have ZERO bite. I was debating which tire (Kuhmo or Pilot Sports) and possibly upgrading to 18" rims and tires when I lost it. Bought new Pilot Sports the next day - $1500 was cheap compared to what could have happened on dangerous, old tires!

My advice to newbies - drive like your Grandma's Grandma until you get the feel for the torque of a Viper!

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have auto-x 5 different cars for that past 20 years. I still auto-x a porsche that is setup for it. This car is like no other I have driven, and I have driven GTA and Busch series cars a few times, but these had slicks and I was at a track. Get yourself into a nice big parking lot and get that thing sideways. I have a great lot about 5 miles away that I use to set my 911. I'm going to take the beast to it in 2 weeks and have some fun. I hope to god my ego does not get the best of me in this car. I have already gotten the thing sideways a few times without trying and it's kind of un-nerving. But driving in a parking lot at 50 mph max is a tad different then the street. But it's a great way to get a 'feel' for your car.

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Snakester, the rear end kicked out because you didn't heel and toe when you downshifted. When you don't heel and toe and you let the clutch out, it acts as a momentary brake on the rear wheels, upsetting the balance of the car. The ultimate solution is to both double clutch and heel and toe when you brake. You can learn this at Viper Days.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost it once on the street while getting on a freeway, wasn't quite pointed straight and I got in the gas and got sideways, scary. Like Russ said do a Viperdays if possible it really teachs you the dynamics of the car, since I started roadracing I've never lost control of the car on the street.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Snakester, the rear end kicked out because you didn't heel and toe when you downshifted. When you don't heel and toe and you let the clutch out, it acts as a momentary brake on the rear wheels, upsetting the balance of the car. The ultimate solution is to both double clutch and heel and toe when you brake. You can learn this at Viper Days.
I have been trying to get better at "heel toeing" but it seems very difficult to me because on my 94 RT/10 the gas and brake pedal dont line up. I am not sure if it is a problem with my car only, or all Gen 1's are like this.
Been thinking of putting some sort of spacer on my throttle cable to help line up the pedals...What do you all think??
BTW...I am one of those who *will* lose control of my viper.....It hasnt happened yet (knock on wood)
Cheers,

jramey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your suppose to downshift when breaking, I just put it in neutral? Have I been doing something wrong for 10 years

john

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
your suppose to downshift when breaking, I just put it in neutral? Have I been doing something wrong for 10 years

john

Just putting into neutral when you're coming to a stop is ok for street driving but if your racing you want to downshift as you're breaking so you don't upset the balance of the car. You can get by with out doing it for the occasional track day but if you're racing on a regular basis it's a good technique to learn.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I DID A 180 RIGHT AFTER I BOUGHT MY CAR,
LESS THEN A MONTH, NOW ONE OF MY FAVORITE THINGS
TO DO IS POWER SLIDE IT WHEN MAKING TURNS
I LOVE IT AND SO DO THE FOLKS WHO SEE ME
WHEN I DO IT. THIS CAR IS AWSOME, LEARNING
HOW TO DRIVE IT IS PART OF THE FUN FOR ME, GL
WITH YOURS. TOM

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Three times. Two spins within the first year. Another time when I was being stupid driving in a rainstorm with bald rears and ended up hydroplaning. Never hit anything.

On the track is a different story.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to think about it you are lost.Have gotten side ways/squirly under power a few times in the Viper.I drive that way all the time during the winter(Not in the Viper).Its fun.Always good to go out in a parking lot at the beginning of the winter season and do some 180's & 360's.On a road course I learned to brake and turn in.On an oval I learned to turn in and brake.Got real sideways trying to turn in and brake in the Viper.Turned me into a straight line early braker for a few laps.Trail brake seems to be ok though.Like I said.I drive sideways all winter long in a 6000 lb truck and don't give it a thought.Maybe its time for some to go to a skid school/drivers school in THEIR cars(not yours) for a little tune up. Bruce

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been trying to get better at "heel toeing" but it seems very difficult to me because on my 94 RT/10 the gas and brake pedal dont line up. I am not sure if it is a problem with my car only, or all Gen 1's are like this.
Been thinking of putting some sort of spacer on my throttle cable to help line up the pedals...What do you all think??
BTW...I am one of those who *will* lose control of my viper.....It hasnt happened yet (knock on wood)
Cheers,

ditto

heel toe is a beeatch in these cars; far from effortless.

just keep your foot in it & steer it out. doesn't work well for 25 mph though.

25 mph is too slow for a good slide radius predictability.