How many of you RT owners drive your car without the Spare ??

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok-jumping in here. Yes I drive with my spare but my question is if you have a flat and put on the spare where do you put the tire you took off??? It won't fit in the trunk or front seat.

Bill

Good Point Bill !! GTS owners can fit there flat tire in the hatch area, but us RT guys are hosed.

Jeff

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It might be that they were too cheap to ruin two cars just for the sake of peace of mind of those who want to omit the spare. Crash worthiness is the result of a real test. The car comes from the dealer with a spare so that's the configuration they wanted the worthiness certification for. It might well be that the car could pass the test without the spare, they just never tested it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there's a warning sticker on my car saying that the side pipe get's hot. There's another one that points out that the sport bar isn't a roll bar and that "this is an open car, drive carefully".

After I read that, I looked closer and noticed that they were right. It IS an open car.
Did any of you guys notice that?
An open car, who would have thought?
I'm glad they told me. And I never would have thought to drive carefully had they not mentioned it.

Believe me, they have a warning about anything and everything that would cover their butts in case something happened.

Does anyone really think that a spare tire that was an engineered part of the rear impact protection would be ignored?
In fact, when you think about it, there would be no way that they could be counting on the spare for any protection.
They tell you right in the book how to remove the spare, put it on and then drive the car.
Would they tell you to drive the car if it was any less safe?

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive without mine.
I have heard the warnings.
I have chosen not to heed them. I am a bade man.
If I am decapitated, please use my head for a very ugly bowling ball.
That is all.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Driven my motorcycle at 190mph, wheelied it at 120 mph.
Why would I be worried about driving my Viper without a spare :smirk:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
joe117,

I agree with you 100%, Dodge or any other automotive manufacturer would have the entire trunk/owners manual covered in warning labels.

Think about it people they put warning labels regarding octane ratings on out cars. And you think they would ignore putting one on that may save the occupents from decapitation?

Give me a break get rid of that useless spare tire and put a can of fix a flat in its place.

Steve Miehe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Monkey wrench number eleven....let's say you have a flat tire and it is time to use your spare. You install the spare and are tooling down the road minding your own business and ya get rear ended by that F-150. Now what? How can you depend on your spare to provide additional structural integrity when it is being used for the purpose intended - a temporary replacement tire? Sure, the probability of getting hit while spare is on the car is slim, but stranger things have happened. I vote for BS, too.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't want to call BS. I just want some truth!!! I can see the tire as an internal bumper. Just don't think you could win in court on this one. Expert witness "Your Honor, the spare tire is part of the crash protection".... Judge, " Next case!"

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I just want some truth!!!"

The spare tire myth is going to be hard to disprove. I don't know where the idea came from. Someone said that the BMW folks have the same myth. How long has it been going in their community?
I'll bet we got it from them.

Aside from the facts,
A review of the logic would show that the folks on the side of the assertion are bound to produce evidence for their assertion.
The folks against the assertion have no need for proof until the other side produces some evidence.

Without evidence, the assertion is gratuitous. A gratuitous assertion may be countered with a similarly gratuitous denial.

Yes it is = No it isn't

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at the service manual,it could be half as thick as it's now, when leaving all the warnings....
and there is nothing about a warning leaving your spare out of the car....

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
this topic pops up occasionally; the spare tire is not a safety device, if it is stated it is to be left in its place to be used as such, lets get together, do a rearend collision and the sue the helll outt DC for doing it, LOL

much better spot for NOS and stereo stuff!

as for a spare tire, get the best; AAA

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so logic would say that if it IS a safety device, what happens when you use the spare to fix a flat tire? I guess you're SOL.

I'm with XS TORQ on this one. If I'm rear ended and decapitated, find a good use (i.e., door stop) for my head.

Jeff,

Here's what I did for the subwoofer:

You must be registered for see images

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, how does that base sound with the trunk sealed? Did you port it thru the front. How many watts is the amp? Do you have model #s of the amp & base box??

Thanks
Andy

Rollin4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok-jumping in here. Yes I drive with my spare but my question is if you have a flat and put on the spare where do you put the tire you took off??? It won't fit in the trunk or front seat.

Bill

If it's a front tire that is flat, it will fit flat in the trunk. If it's a rear, stand tire up and secure trunk with the strap that is im the trunk.

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, how does that base sound with the trunk sealed? Did you port it thru the front. How many watts is the amp? Do you have model #s of the amp & base box??

Thanks
Andy

Andy,

If you're under 30, my guess is that the sub doesn't have enough kick for your liking (just being honest here). It's good for my tastes, but the isolation in the trunk doesn't make it clearly into the cockpit.

The subwoofer is a Kenwood powered sub (about 85 watts) and is separate from the flat amplifier you see in the pic. The amplifier is part of the Kenwood Excelon series and is a 5-channel amp (around 450 watts). I'll PM the model numbers for you sometime this week.

At this point, my car is pretty loud and I don't hear the quality of the stereo as I did at one time (the lope of my idle is WICKED!).

What Joe117 probably heard (from 50 miles away) was my car at WOT! Honestly, you can hear my car from about 2 miles away when I kick it. :headbang:

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary your set up looks awesome :2tu: ! Did you change the head unit ??

Cheers

Jeff

Yes. I installed a Kenwood Excelon head unit and a Kenwood Keg (hard drive unit that holds about 1200 songs). I did this mainly because the CD changer I had in there before would skip on hard bumps. The hard drive unit is a lot more robust.

Since then, I installed an XM receiver in one of my other cars and think it's better than anything. I haven't put one in my Viper yet because I can't figure out where to put the antenna. I don't want to to install it outside because it would spoil the lines of my car. I like to keep things clean and simple so I don't want it on the dash either.

As much as I love to listen to good music when I cruise, the sound of my exhaust and supercharger is so sweet that I just don't care about the music any more. :)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Gary, I am 38 (going on 12 wife says)I have 8" sub in floorboard & I am loosing my sub between the seats b/c of the AF rollbar. I had always heard if the trunk is not ported to the front you loose a lot. I have got a lot of kenwood in my cars & it seems to be good equip at a good price( I am a kenwood 2 way radio dealer & the let me have a purchase at cost so it was a really good price).

I put my Sirius antenna on the dash & it looks good, I really do not even notice it & no one else does either.

Thanks
Andy

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary your set up looks awesome :2tu: ! Did you change the head unit ??

Cheers

Jeff

Yes. I installed a Kenwood Excelon head unit and a Kenwood Keg (hard drive unit that holds about 1200 songs). I did this mainly because the CD changer I had in there before would skip on hard bumps. The hard drive unit is a lot more robust.

Since then, I installed an XM receiver in one of my other cars and think it's better than anything. I haven't put one in my Viper yet because I can't figure out where to put the antenna. I don't want to to install it outside because it would spoil the lines of my car. I like to keep things clean and simple so I don't want it on the dash either.

As much as I love to listen to good music when I cruise, the sound of my exhaust and supercharger is so sweet that I just don't care about the music any more. :)

Gary , can you Download songs from an IPOD to your Kenwood Keg ?? That would be awesome !

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary, Checked out your image gallery, nice dyno #s & that is a good looking RT!

Andy

Thanks, Andy! I need to update pics of my car.

--------------------
2000 Black RT/10
Heffner 1000SCi 843 rwhp 792 rwtq 10.20 ET @ 141 MPH
Heffner Performance - Home of the World's First 9-second supercharged Viper!

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary , can you Download songs from an IPOD to your Kenwood Keg ?? That would be awesome !

Jeff,

I'm not exactly how the IPOD works, so I don't know for sure. The Keg comes with a cradle that hooks into your PC through a USB port. Using software that comes with the Keg (called Phat Music Manager) you can create libraries of songs in MP3 format or you can RIP songs off of CDs into MP3 format and then download them into the Keg module. Then stick the module in your car and you're finished.

I would assume you could upload the songs from the IPOD to a PC and then download them into the Keg. Gotta love that technology!

------------------
2000 Black RT/10
Heffner 1000SCi 843 rwhp 792 rwtq 10.20 ET @ 141 MPH
Heffner Performance - Home of the World's First 9-second supercharged Viper!

Mac Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My spare was replaced with 2 8" subs in a sealed enclosure with a snake logo etched in the clear plexiglass top and illuminated by green neon from the sides. The sealed enclosure has two four inch ports that run forward to the passenger compartment and terminate behind each seat, the ports are covered with speaker grills. The green neon matches the green car color and the sound is unbelievable. I am not a stereo guy it was in the car when I purchased it. I found out about the crash protection issue latter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc