How many of you track your Vipers?

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So anybody out there road race their Viper (I know stupid question) they always a photographer in one corner so if you have a pic post it. If not speak up anyway. Here's me at turn #4 at Willow Springs a few years ago, almost lifted the front right off the ground :D

You must be registered for see images attach

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a question (not to hijack) for you guys that do this. I really want to get on a track, but don't want to go "balls out", just have fun at my own pace, is there anything like that available, or is it always a race or as fast as you can go or?????

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They almost always have "newbie" classes- usually four levels...newbie to "expert" -- exception is some pretty fast
and (can be) dangerous tracks, like Fontana- they want intermediate drivers only- usually....
They almost always have ride along instructors available- (usually it is a fee for that)
Different passing rules for "newbie" run groups- go at your own pace.

On a session- if you want a clear track, you can start at the back, or pull in to the hot pits
and wait for traffic to clear and have the tarmac to your self.

Bottom line: if you run with a professional and experienced track time organizer- it is relatively
safe and fun for all levels-
It is an experience not to be missed- DO IT !

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a question (not to hijack) for you guys that do this. I really want to get on a track, but don't want to go "balls out", just have fun at my own pace, is there anything like that available, or is it always a race or as fast as you can go or?????

Local PCA groups usually hold events @ nearby tracks and there beginner groups are usually pretty slow and safe. They also offer instructors.

I coordinate track days here in the SE but we usually cater more towards the advanced drivers.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As mentioned before yes there is a beginner class at most track events that supply you with an instructor that rides around with you shouting directions. I am a regular instructor and the reason I say shout is because with helmets on and how loud the Viper is. Like CA97GTS said stay away from Cali Speedway Roval, I personally love that track but it is fast and could be dangerous. Do a "search" on road racing and you'll find tons of threads on how to prepare.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll throw a picture up! Here is picture from when my Viper was only 3 days old to me. This was taken at Buttonwillow during the Brian Angen Memorial Charity Drive/ Viper Days Test Day.
Brian's dad, Rocky, was my check ride instructor. This was back when Viper Days still came to California! Photo by Maurice Liang.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take mine to the track. Absolutely love it, in fact I was just at Thunderhill a couple of weeks ago for a Hooked on Driving event.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal has a very active track group, the SIDEWINDERS. They get out on the area tracks frequently.

New drivers are always most welcome. It is amazing to watch the very cautious new guys experience their Vipers on the track for the first time. They are always the ones that improve the most from first outing to last.

If you have not had the pleasure of driving your Viper in its native habitat of a race track, you are missing out on one of life's most pleasurable moments.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, im going mid october,then again in november- dont know how to post pics though, its a bad addiction once you start

CA97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try a Autocross- or skidpad session before you head to a "big" fast autocourse-
Out here in So. Cal. -Willow Springs has a "little" track- slower and actually more technical
than the "Big" track. Best track out here for first timers-- you actually can learn a lot
on a highly technical slower track-
Even a large parking lot- or a safe empty airstrip-
you can make you own skidpad course to get familiar with the cars limits...

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try a Autocross- or skidpad session before you head to a "big" fast autocourse-
Out here in So. Cal. -Willow Springs has a "little" track- slower and actually more technical
than the "Big" track. Best track out here for first timers-- you actually can learn a lot
on a highly technical slower track-
Even a large parking lot- or a safe empty airstrip-
you can make you own skidpad course to get familiar with the cars limits...

The Streets of Willow Springs is not really a "Viper friendly" track, it's slow and tight but I guess if it is your first time it is as good as any. On the small1.8 mile SOWS track I turn the same 1:30 lap times as on the big 2.5 WSIR track. Actually I'd recommend the beginner group on the Big Willow because the track is wider and you can go at your own pace, that and they just repaved it. For technical practice drive the extra few miles to Buttonwillow and run the 23 corners there.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The #9 before the wrap, up on two wheels (probably not the fastest way around Road Atlanta but looks cool) and chasing the #17 at Watkins Glen
Joey_Chitwood1.jpg

Watkins_Glen.jpg

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so whats road atlanta all about, im goin ther in november, how is it? any not so safe sections?

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I guess I mean that I would like to not "have" to go balls out, redlining it the whole time, more I can just "play" safely and not get a ticket. Is there any special gear? Like I know with a motorcycle you have to wear a full 1 piece, etc. but what about with a car?

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, I guess I mean that I would like to not "have" to go balls out, redlining it the whole time, more I can just "play" safely and not get a ticket. Is there any special gear? Like I know with a motorcycle you have to wear a full 1 piece, etc. but what about with a car?

All you need to begin with is long pants natural fiber like cotton, no synthetics, a long sleeve shirt, a pair of driving gloves (nomax preferred) and an SA2005 or later helmet. Do not use an "m" rated helmet that is for a motorcycle and you will have to wear a balaclava. NO open toe shoes. Go at you own pace if you are in a Viper chances are most of the other cars will be going slower then you. Most important listen to your instructor.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
​Anyone still here from this race? Everyone in this pic was a member here at the time :D

Last edited:

V10 ACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Button Willow. Everyone tracks their cars, don't they?

If you going to learn to drive a Viper, might as well get an instructor who knows the car inside and out.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once in a while I like to experience the Viper in its natural element without the risk of getting stopped for felony speeding.

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so whats road atlanta all about, im goin ther in november, how is it? any not so safe sections?

Road Atlanta is one of the nations top 10 premier tracks; ALMS just finished up their season there. Its a safe track but relatively unforgiving.....there are plenty of places with a lot of runoff room, but there are also several places with very little space if you leave the track.

If you haven't been there before, I recommend getting an instructor to ride along....even for just the first session if you're an advanced driver......just to learn the line. As someone posted, coming up the hill into turn 11 you can't see anything but sky as you shift to 4th and pray that there's a track down there when the car begins to head downward into T12!

All in all, its a great experience, and pretty fast with one very long straight and three straight-based passing zones for the beginner groups (so it doesn't train-up horribly).

Which group is running there in mid Oct? I live 10 minutes from there and may be able to come over and watch the action.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, one more thing. Watching YouTube videos or playing Forza will actually help you learn the line at RA. I'm an instructor and I do notice that students who claim to "know the track" because of Forza (or Gran Tourismo....can't remember which one) actually do learn the line quicker than folks who haven't done a lot of laps on the video screen. They also think it makes them great first lap, but they're wrong about that! ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456