How much horse will a 2010 Vipers motor handle?

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got my Corsa cat backs installed and love them. I am thinking about doing the PCM, and headers. I believe the Viper techs told me it was good for near 70hp. I forgot to ask them about how much horse on a 2010 gen 4 motor will handle. I know they don't have forged pistons, crank, etc! I just don't want to over tax the motor in any way. The stock motor is rated at 600hp and the mods would bring it near 670hp

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The exhaust will help, but it's all going to boil down to the weak link in the entire system as a whole. Doing the CatBack will open up the last half of the system, but the headers will still be restricting the flow. Once you do the headers, you still have to get it breathing better on the front side of the flow to really see a big change.

I wouldn't worry about the engine handling it until you start to think about pressurizing it (super-charging, turbo-charging or nitrous). The gains are minimal (but still fun) until you go into that area of mods. With only 450 HP (on a good day) in my Gen II, I have to wonder about boosting it and the value added to my overall experience in the Viper. I don't track it much and I'm still learning to handle what it's got STOCK.

We all want the bigger bragging rights, but really, where does it all stop?

With my last sport bike, my tech asked if I was using all the power with what I had (I was in there to hop it up and boost the HP) ... decided to NOT spend the money on something that I couldn't use up to the top.
Isn't 600HP enough to learn to control? Get out on the track and if you STILL have to go for more, do it and run in the Viper Cup.

If you want to do the PCM, check into Viper Specialty for their SCT tuner and software... team up with a good tuner in your area and go for the gold! Get ready though, you're about to enter into warp drive with cost and time on your new toy.

OP
OP
N

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The exhaust will help, but it's all going to boil down to the weak link in the entire system as a whole. Doing the CatBack will open up the last half of the system, but the headers will still be restricting the flow. Once you do the headers, you still have to get it breathing better on the front side of the flow to really see a big change.

I wouldn't worry about the engine handling it until you start to think about pressurizing it (super-charging, turbo-charging or nitrous). The gains are minimal (but still fun) until you go into that area of mods. With only 450 HP (on a good day) in my Gen II, I have to wonder about boosting it and the value added to my overall experience in the Viper. I don't track it much and I'm still learning to handle what it's got STOCK.

We all want the bigger bragging rights, but really, where does it all stop?

With my last sport bike, my tech asked if I was using all the power with what I had (I was in there to hop it up and boost the HP) ... decided to NOT spend the money on something that I couldn't use up to the top.
Isn't 600HP enough to learn to control? Get out on the track and if you STILL have to go for more, do it and run in the Viper Cup.

If you want to do the PCM, check into Viper Specialty for their SCT tuner and software... team up with a good tuner in your area and go for the gold! Get ready though, you're about to enter into warp drive with cost and time on your new toy.

I am not at all going to track the car. I just loved the roar of the car and the sound with headers on it. The car that was done was the same year with the same Corsa but the headers and hi flow cats made it sound bad ass. You are right in the assumption, where do you stop. 600Hp is all I need, but I love the sound of a badass rocket with headers and the PCM will get rid of the skip shift. The whole system will get rid of a lot of heat too. Ahhh, what to do!

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get rid of the 'skip shift' for about $50 ... a whole different story than sending your PCM out for programming. :omg:

OP
OP
N

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can get rid of the 'skip shift' for about $50 ... a whole different story than sending your PCM out for programming. :omg:

Are you sure Mike? I have been told by John B at parts rack and two Viper techs that did my work, that the skip shift eliminator will send an engine light on the 2010s. Plus I was doing the PCM to improve midrange power curve. I am not racing it but I like fast get up and goes from stops etc. Thanks

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When I met with the SRT guys at the last VOI they indicated that the new motor was built to take 70-100 hp more.

The skip shift eliminator will set the check engine light.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, didn't realize that Dodge had changed the way it handles the skip shift. Listen to the guys that know, not me.

OP
OP
N

nutrientcobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I met with the SRT guys at the last VOI they indicated that the new motor was built to take 70-100 hp more.

The skip shift eliminator will set the check engine light.

Thanks so much, and I think I will just leave the car alone with just the cat backs at this time. I appreciate the answer D C Performance!

ACRBruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange as it may sound, I never ran into a single skip shift after the header install. Many Gen IV's have had the header, hi-flow cats, and ECU done many many miles, even track miles ago with no engine issues.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the skipshift on my 08 and 09 with no issues-and ive been told it will throw a light as well--have driven about 4k on them now

alpha85

Enthusiast
Reaction score
08 W/Belangers & Mopar PCM over 600rwhp 565rwtq. No engine light.

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the skipshift on my 08 and 09 with no issues-and ive been told it will throw a light as well--have driven about 4k on them now

Where did you get it from?! I would like to get one on my 09 ACR..but want one that others have tried, with no CEL.

caseyse

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wonder what Dodge could have done to change CAGS for 2010? For the 2009 and prior Vipers, and C5/C6 Vettes (using either the T56 or T6060) the PCM was simply looking for resistance created by the skip shift solenoid, and all CAGS defeats (which are interchangeable between Vettes and Vipers) were simply a connector with a resistor (I think 2.2k ohms.)

RedSrt007

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ordered skip shift eliminator, will let you guys know :) Im trying to break the car in properly and dont like light throttle (break-in) and it wants me to go to 4th...grr let me go into 2nd, Im the driver dammit!! lol

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Depending on how you drive installing a skip shift eliminator may or may not turn on the light. I have installed 2 and the light came on in about 3k for the first customer and about 9k for the second.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang