how much/how to ship 18" Gen2 rims?

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how much/how to ship 18\" Gen2 rims?

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing some Gen2 rims to spruce up my Gen1. I found a set for a good price (due to minor wear/imperfections/etc), but they're in Texas and I'm in Philly, and the deal is that I have to arrange all shipping... I contacted a local UPS store, who quoted me ~$200 just to package all 4 wheels! If I add shipping cost on top of that (another $150-$200??), it's too much for me, so now I'm looking for new options....

What's the best way to ship a wheel/tire package? Does anyone have appropriate sized boxes they want to sell? How did you guys get your HRE's, repaired wheels, etc delivered???

Or, anyone in the Austin, TX area willing to help more directly? I can compensate for time/work/etc. (as long as it's not $200!!)

Anyway, any advice would help... otherwise, I'm stuck with my Gen1 3-spokes until I find another reasonably priced set.

Help a Viper brother out!! :D

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: how much/how to ship 18

If the tires are mounted to the wheels, they should be very easy to ship. They DON'T need to be in a box. The last time I shipped wheels I just taped cardboard over the wheels surface (to keep them from getting scratched) and applied a label. That's it>

When tire rack ships tires, the don't do anything to them, they just apply label directly on the tires and ship.

Bill

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

huh! the seller suggested that but felt uncomfortable shipping that way, risking that they may get scratched/dented/damaged.
Did you ship Viper wheels that way? Are you pretty confident they would be okay that way? if so, i'll recommend it. I think he's more hesitant for me to receive wheels damaged-in-transit than I am!!! :)
thanks for the advice!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just shipped 4 wheels (well, actually Chuck Tator did for me). Fed X ground was $120.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$120? where did you (actually, sir tator) ship to? were they shipped in a box or just by taping cardboard to the front and back of the wheel to overlap with the tire?
thanks!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$30 a wheel boxed up well by myself.

Do NOT by any cercumstance have them box it for you! $200 might even be cheap if they do it!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Would do you mean you have to arrange all the shipping? The seller can't get 4 boxes from UPS and ship the stuff to you? I used 2 large boxes when I shipped pairs of tires. A pair of tires mostly in the bottom box, with the second box upside down and sliding down on top of the bottom box, - completely covering the pair of tires stacked inside. Then taping it all up. Should work for a wheel/tire just as well. So you'd need 4 boxes total then. Two boxes for the fronts, two more for the backs. All the same size. I think they were 24"Wx24L" but I don't remember the height. .. I bought them at UPS, but shipped everything FedEx-much cheaper.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

do 18" tires (+rims) fit in a 24"x24" box? that would definitely make things a little easier, since those boxes are readily available!

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I purchased four aluminum wheels with snow tires mounted from tire rack last fall for my wife's CLK 430. They shipped them as described by 2000GTS above. Cardboard cut into circles to mirror each tire/wheel. Both ends covered. Wheels and tires arrived in "new" condition.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

$120? where did you (actually, sir tator) ship to? were they shipped in a box or just by taping cardboard to the front and back of the wheel to overlap with the tire?
thanks!
Paul:

I bought a new set of chromed Gen 2 wheels and we sent my old set in the same boxes (so we had the boxes right there) from NYS to CA.

OP
OP
P

PaulH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

citysnake: thanks for the info.... it must have been convenient to have those extra boxes! if only i could be so lucky... :)

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, at least you know you can send a set of 4 (BTW-you can pack the 2 fronts together) wheels (in 3 boxes) from coast to coast for $120 via Fed X Ground. I can't imagine you can get some good boxes and packing material from a local U Haul for more than $50.

97fatboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

UPS reccomends cardboard circles only. I have shipped and received several sets. For extra protection, I put in triple cardboard. Everything was fine, just insure them.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you use the cardboard on the face of the wheels, make sure the wheels are clean and padded. Otherwise the ribs on the cardboard rub lines into the clear coat. also double or triple the cardboard on the face. the wheels are heavy and they will be laid on the face during shipping. This I know.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Make sure you ship each wheel individually. I just had a guy choke on a $300 bill because he shipped three wheels together and paid bul rates.