HOW MUCH IS MY VIPER WORTH - MAY NEED to sell... need some advice/comments :(

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD VPR, is the BP position you are interested in, a uniform 1810 or a Federal Agent 1811? I've been a Federal Agent (1811) with NCIS for 24 years, maybe I can suggest a few things...PM me when you get the chance. Thanks, jim
Yes the BP position is the 1811 Federal Agent position. I'll PM you, i'd love to know more or get any tips or advice you might have.

martyb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jucd,

I would hang onto it, you won't get what you are looking to get in this economy. I have put over $20k in my Gen 1 in the last 3 years(Roe/Heads/Cam, 3 piece hard top/window, etc), and I would be shocked if I were able to recognize half of that money on the sale of the car. My car is spotless, has 30,000 miles, almost 700rwhp, at I cannot get anyone to show any interest at 36K. I have over $60k into it over the years(including purchase price). No way I am letting mine go for a penny less than my asking price of $36K. Until that day comes, I will enjoy the car.

martyb

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you kidding? He permanently altered the factory original and I don't mean just a different hood and wheels. For a Viper purist looking to buy that alone devalues it at least $5k. Also, engine mods generally lower the value because most people think that the car has been driven harder than usual.

Lastly, did you see the recent thread on here about the 98 GTS going for $32,500 because of no other resonable offers?

$30k tops in this economy is my estimate.

Roadijeff ` Seems like me and you never see eye to eye. To each is their own I guess. I think cognac looks like baby puke and you absolutely love it. We will just agree to disagree. A viper "PURIST" wouldn;t want my Vipoer anyway, I mean what on my Viper IS factory. I can tell you not to much. Almost everything has been changed cosmetically so nothing is really factory. So selling to the purist wouldn't be my audience anyway. I'd buy my Viper if I was in the market for on and if a guy had one like mine 3 years ago when I bought it, I'd have bought his over a non modded Viper. Just what I like, so thats MY OPINION on what I like, every buyer is different. If you think 6K CCW wheels devalues the car then your crazy. Anyway have fun with your cognac :rolleyes:

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after all the feedback and GREAT advice, i'd just like to say THANK YOU to everyone who tried giving advice/comments and helped me out. SO THANK YOU again.

I think I will KEEP the Viper, try to deal with whatever comes my way and down the road when the market is back up and if i'm forced to sell it, then i'll let it go at that time when I can get more $ for it. I HOPE i can just keep it forever and hopefully everything falls into place and works out in the end. I think I can swing keeping it possibly for good?

I am going to persue my dream and go for a job I believe I will really enjoy. I know I have a sweet job now but it's not what i'm meant to do and it's just not ME. Basically i;d rather make less doing something I love vice making more money doing something I don't really enjoy.

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUDC VPR,

Hello???....you have a chance to move to one of the most magical places in the USA...perfect for driving a Viper and you want to sell it?

Look, you don't sound like a desk jockey to me...you've done and seen things that your current co-workers would just never get or understand. You and they are on a different wavelength. Screw the airline thing and do what you want. If you don't, you'll never be successful because your job will feel like a "job". When you "like" going to work and it doesn't feel like work....now you have a career that you can apply your passion and grow with. When your career is good, everything else seems to fall into place. Plus, you'll be working with people that you have a better connection with.

Don't worry about having enough money...If it was meant to be, it will work out for the best and you'll be happy and still have your Viper. Everytime I sold something for the "money", I would always look back and realize that I could have made it work if I really wanted to and be pissed that I sold myself short.

Good luck with your decision,

George
Well said! I also thought about drivng the Viper and how much fun it'd be living in these places cruising around with the top off. Ahh it's going to be nice!

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now, don't take this the wrong way but most people would give their left nut for the job that you have and you want throw it away. You have great benefits, security, promotions, etc. To each his own but you have a huge decision to make, I know what I would do................
:D
I agree it;s a great job, but i'm the type of guy who can make it in almost any profession with the right training. I'm definately smart enough and I have more drive in me then I see in most people. I guess i'm just lucky my mind and attitude are so strong that I can do whatever I set my mind to. If I lose this job with all the qualifications I have I can get another good job doing something else. I actually got a job offer while hitting golf balls last weekend but decided not to persue it since i'd much rather become a Border Patrol Agent.

The whole time I was in the Marines I got any and every qualification I could so i could be widly marketable when I got out of the service and everything I did worked out as I was planning. It;s just the fact that, you know what you want in life so why settle for something easy that you don't really want.:dunno:

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to go a different route. I am much the same way as you. I did the desk/ paper puching job for three years. Hated it. I like working with my ands and seeing progress. At a desk....:crazy2:

When I speak to high school kids about what they might like to do for a living when they graduate, or go to college for, I always recommend find whatever it is that you like to do the most, then find someone to pay you for doing it! Is it always realistic, no. But where I am going with this is regardless of if you are being paid $1 mil for something you hate, or $100 K for something you love, in the end you will still be happier doing what you love! The money will be enough modivation at the start but after a few years that will no longer be enough incentive for your brain to keep you happy.

My suggestion would be do what you would be happiest doing and if it looks like you can get paid very well there too, that is a bonus. But dude, do something that you would like to do even if you were not being paid for it, and something that you do not dread. That way when Monday comes, you dont think Oh Crap, I dont want to go to work. I hate it there.:(

Trust me. Been there done that.

EDIT: Oh yes, the original question! ;) Yes, GTS values are down big time! If you can, keep it for now. Mods do not hold the same value when selling time comes. Ironically stock cars do often get the same or more as modded cars get the impression of being abused. I would say $40K would be the high end of what you can get, but if you do sell, take some time and try for what you can get! The right buyer is always out there. I would suggest keeping it, but if you can't...

Robert
You hit the nail right on the head with what you said, everything makes sense. Like I said as i'm getting older, new things are coming into perspective.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JUCD, go for it ! it seems like you really want it and i hope you get it. you deserve it !

good luck bud and glad to see you're keeping it

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take the modded Viper over a stock one any day. The more mods the better. Especially if it has CCWs or IForged rims on it. I'd pay more for it. :2tu:

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From one Jarhead to another, I agree 100% on doing what makes you happy. Nothing like loving your job, just makes life that much more rewarding. Good luck with your continuing goals!

As for the Modified Viper, I would buy a modified viper over a stock one any day, even for a little more $. I do recognize that when you mod the heck out of your viper (did this to my 95) you reduce the potential buyer base and will only get about 20% of what you spent on mods if you are lucky. Hence why I will never sell my Gen I, it just does not pay since they are not worth anything and I enjoy it to much. Even Gen II RT's are less desirable, though I prefer the looks of the RT, especially with the top off:drive:

Wise choice you made and best of luck:2tu:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Stop trying to spin things to make yourself sound right.

I would say the same to you. Don't try to build up the kid's hopes with unrealistic price quotes. The simple reality is that his car has been heavily altered from the factory original and cannot be put back to that condition (lowers the value), has had nitrous added and probably run the crap out of it (lowers the value) and he's trying to sell it at a time when high dollar toys are just not selling unless the price is much lower than what it would have gone for a year or two ago.

Maybe you should read some of the comments from others on here who have said the same thing.

Definately not the time to try and sell a car, especially a Viper. Was trying to sell mine, but noone interested wanted to come and see the car..........guess I'll keep it. Either fire sale it, or hold on to it.

You have a nice car Jim but one thing I would do is remove all signs of the Nitrous! Most people think that because a car has Nitrous installed that the car was or has been abused.

i agree remove the nos from the vehicle

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's all in finding the right buyer. Don't forget to compare these 2 posts as well.;)

I'd take the modded Viper over a stock one any day. The more mods the better. Especially if it has CCWs or IForged rims on it. I'd pay more for it. :2tu:

As for the Modified Viper, I would buy a modified viper over a stock one any day, even for a little more $.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha no she was the one who told me NOT to sell it! She's behind me 100% on this decision and very excited about it me going into the Border Patrol too. Were both pretty pumped about it.

Yup, that's how they trick you, right from the start...
J/K man, good luck!

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, that's how they trick you, right from the start...
J/K man, good luck!
:2tu: SOOOOO true! I told my wife after test driving her, er...er...dating her for 5 years and then getting married, not to change! (test driving can go both ways ladies...no offense) I am realistic, some minor things change but not your whole personalty. And guess what happened on about year 6???? HHHMMMMMM.... The wild and crazy gal I dated for 5 years, well lets just say she got domesticated and is a wonderful Mother and Wife. Boy I miss that wild side though!!!! :D Good luck on your decision JUCD VPR! :usa:

OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say the same to you. Don't try to build up the kid's hopes with unrealistic price quotes. The simple reality is that his car has been heavily altered from the factory original and cannot be put back to that condition (lowers the value), has had nitrous added and probably run the crap out of it (lowers the value) and he's trying to sell it at a time when high dollar toys are just not selling unless the price is much lower than what it would have gone for a year or two ago.

Maybe you should read some of the comments from others on here who have said the same thing.
I know i'm only 27 but i'm far from a KID so a little respect would be nice.

As far as running the crap out of my car...how the hell would you know I run the crap out of my car?

Answer: You don't, you just like to throw in your 2 cents because your a pain in the ass. I rarely even drive my Viper and in the past 4 years i've put 10K miles on it and shot the Nitrous maybe 15-20 times WITH NO PROBLEMS, took it to the track one time and ran one pass - 10.666@133 mph. Yah I get on it sometime just like everyone else and I change the oil every 2500 miles. SO I can tell you first hand about my car and it hasen't had the crap ran out of it so please get your facts stright before you start spouting off.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's all in finding the right buyer. Don't forget to compare these 2 posts as well.;)
Exactly, RoadiJeff seems to think i'm selling to only people who want bone stock garage queen Vipers. When in fact the market is wide for who wants what. If my Viper would have been for sale when I bought it and was modded like I have it, i'd have bought it before I bought a stock Viper. It's all in what your looking for, I never keep a car stock. But anyway, i'm not selling it now so it's no biggie. :drive: