How much longer for Gen3 Roe SC ?

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had a really good experience w/ Roe products. I am, however curious; in developing the 08 Viper, DC intentionally stayed away from dramatically increasing low end torque and focused on producing more hp higher in the rpm curve. Traction is the Vipers biggest enemy (not the ZO6 or the Murcielago, etc). That is also why DC eliminated the run flats as we all know. That being said...if DC focused on producing more power higher in the rpm band it seems to me the Paxton set up (centrifugal blower) might be better for the balance between daily driving and maximum performance. Whaddya you guys think?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Corvette and Viper are having a HP war, not a torque war. The Viper already wins that one. HP sells sports cars and is what people brag about.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...I am, however curious; in developing the 08 Viper, DC intentionally stayed away from dramatically increasing low end torque and focused on producing more hp higher in the rpm curve. Traction is the Vipers biggest enemy (not the ZO6 or the Murcielago, etc). That is also why DC eliminated the run flats as we all know. That being said...if DC focused on producing more power higher in the rpm band it seems to me the Paxton set up (centrifugal blower) might be better for the balance between daily driving and maximum performance.

Don't forget that Vettes develop power through higher rpms, with a 7,000 rpm redline ... ever notice how the Z06s seem to leap ahead in the videos of highway drags right when the Viper shifts gears? Being able to hold a gear (with power) up to 7,000 rpms is another adhvantage ... the '08s address this a little bit

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the reason the torque didnt increase as horsepower did in the 08 is due to the variable timing. I am sure if they did the same mods the current engine - bigger displacement, valves, better flowing exhaust you would get the higher torque numbers. The varible system is there to tame idle and emissions. Correct me if I am wrong.

As for me, I like torque everywhere in the power curve. Never really a fan of the Paxton. To do it right i would send it DC which is a signficant increase over the stock system.

Certainly interested in what Sean comes to the market with.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that Vettes develop power through higher rpms, with a 7,000 rpm redline ... ever notice how the Z06s seem to leap ahead in the videos of highway drags right when the Viper shifts gears? Being able to hold a gear (with power) up to 7,000 rpms is another adhvantage ... the '08s address this a little bit

naaah
http://www.clipstr.com/videos/vipervsvette/

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,
As the owner of a mortgage and real estate investment company, I had to take some "drastic" measures to get control of my schedule and manage the interruptions so I could complete my important tasks. This is what I had to do:
1. Hire a receptionist to take all incoming calls and greet all visitors. She always asks who is calling and what is the nature of the call. She then buzzes me and briefs me on the call. If it is a call that can wait, I tell her to take a message. I return all my calls between noon and 2 pm, and again between 4 and 5 pm. After a while, those calling you for no reason will stop calling. Secondly, I rarely will see a walk-in unless it is a really good friend or client. I usually on see people by appt. No one in my office bothers me for minor things they can handle on their own.

2. Anything I can do in 2 minutes or less (mail, desk cleanup, etc), I do right then. If not, it waits until I am done w/ my major tasks.

3. I make a schedule for my entire week. I review my daily schedule each morning in case I need to make changes, but once made, I keep to the schedule. My schedule is on Google Calender so my entire office can view it. I check off the tasks once completed.

My not being available at every beck and call of my clients took some getting used to for them, but they are more interested in my obtaining results for them, not wasting 30 minutes on the phone w/ them talking about road side bombs in Iraq or their kids soccer game.
In summary, delegate all minor tasks to others, make a schedule and stick to it, eliminate the interruptions as best possible, focus on the results. Everything else will fall into place.
AND WE VIPER OWNERS WILL JUMP FOR JOY WHEN U RELEASE THE GEN 3 CHARGER!!

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As part owner of a financial communications firm I must agree with BlackMamba. When developing a firm from ground up, it is sometimes hard to let go a bit but it is usually necessary to grow. I found it tough in the beginning to pass on some of my daily routine to others but it is the only way I can stay focused on the bigger picture.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, As others have mentioned, you have to delegate as you grow, no other way around it. If you don't the growth will be slow. You have always had outstanding follow on customer support, one of the reasons I will never sell my Roe GTS.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.
I really appreciate it as I'm not any kind of trained or tremendously experience business guy.
From the age of 17 to 33, all I did was work on and drive racecars for a living.
This part seems to be a MUCH bigger challenge than racing ever was.
So, here's what I'm going to do;
1. I'm going to set my phone down at Amy's desk and let her screen calls.
2. I'm going to reply to e-mails at some certain time of day, like lunch or so. When I reply in the morning, it seems my day gets bogged down right away.
3. I'm going to kick it up a notch or two, working harder and spending as much time as I can on the car each day.
4. On the deadline, I will come out with a complete configuration, including pictures and dyno sheets ASAP. I will do my best to do it within the next couple weeks. The only catch may be this hood issue, which I already have manufacturing options for.
Thanks for the patience and encouragement.
I do appreciate it.

Regards,
Sean

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rather wait in order to get it right. Sean I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product. As for me I definitely dont see it as too late. In fact the completely new engine in 08 could have inadvertantly created more business for you with the current configuration.

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would rather wait in order to get it right. Sean I am really looking forward to seeing the finished product. As for me I definitely dont see it as too late. In fact the completely new engine in 08 could have inadvertantly created more business for you with the current configuration.

Agree, you should try to get a jump on a SC for the 08+ motor (if there is any way to start now) -- the car will alread come with a raised hood.

Kenny

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Sean, as long as you are doing an aftermarket hood, give it enough clearance to add in an air/water intercooler sandwiched between the blower and the manifold like the Ford GT. Make it an option and you'll sell a ton.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipermann you missed my point - the 08 motor is completely new from ground up so there are concerns about ease of modding, especially with the new computer. Therefore it creates more incentive for a current GenIII owner to hold on to their GenIII and increase horsepower.

To me there simply is not enough changes to the 08 for me to take a beating on my car and pay full retail for an 08 when I can invest another 10,000 to 15,000 to get more horsepower and better suspension.

DocAdam

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Sean, as long as you are doing an aftermarket hood, give it enough clearance to add in an air/water intercooler sandwiched between the blower and the manifold like the Ford GT. Make it an option and you'll sell a ton.

Very good idea!

OP
OP
Vipermann

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Vipermann you missed my point - the 08 motor is completely new from ground up so there are concerns about ease of modding, especially with the new computer. Therefore it creates more incentive for a current GenIII owner to hold on to their GenIII and increase horsepower.

To me there simply is not enough changes to the 08 for me to take a beating on my car and pay full retail for an 08 when I can invest another 10,000 to 15,000 to get more horsepower and better suspension.

I agree with your point about modding the current Gen3, it will remain an easier motor to work on, but I am actually almost more impressed by the 08 upgrades to the trans and diff to handle more power ... 'when' the computer issues get sorted out, the new 08 will be able to handle serious power ...

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as workflow is concerned (especially in a small business or in any one-to-many, primary point of contact relationship) one other simple method which works well for some people is to have some large chunk of time set aside, and to have that chunk be well known.

For example, you could have "Sean's R&D Wednesday" where no one on your staff bugs you about anything, and furthermore they shield or take on your other typical daily tasks. No calls, no emails (and that's posted on the site), no interruptions - unless that's what you choose to do with the day. You're free to stay head's down on whatever you want for the entire day.

It also helps train other staff members in areas you typically own (if you want them or not), and as a forcing function this can identify areas which you can let go of that you wouldn't have guessed you could have. As businesses grow one can get trapped with legacy tasks, and it can be a bear to figure out how to have people take over areas. Doing it for a known temporary period can be easier than just offloading it completely - it's not a harsh transition. Heck, perhaps you find someone on your staff who's actually as good or better than you at some task, but they: never knew it themselves; were too afraid to ask you for something which they saw as yours; just needed some breathing room; etc.

The previous suggestions in the thread were excellent. My note above, even though it's simple, works for people who "dive deep" into things. Some people are great at juggling, some are great at going deep. In my experience, R&D is a "dive deep" activity, one where you get dramatically more done when you can get a solid block of work done at a time.

Good luck.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Spy shot of the local test bed...

You must be registered for see images

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
To delegate your responsibilities you need good quality personnel that care about your business and want to grow as much as you. If you have a group of slackers as employees you business will fall shortly as well as your reputation that you worked so hard to get.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1/2 the displacement post by Blwn isn't quite 100% accurate.
If you doubt me, just look at the units used on production vehicles, Magnuson, Whipple and Kenne Bell kits.
I agree, the bigger the better, but 1/2 the displacement is not normal.
These are four stroke engines. The engine only moves 1/2 the total displacement per revolution, so it doesn't take a 4L blower to maintain efficiency on an 8L engine operating at low boost and under 6,000 RPM.
Yes, the G1 and G2 kit is using the 2.4L. It will push 12 psi on that application, but gets real hot. 8psi is a great place for it to run on a Viper.

Ok, onto release dates....
Here's my dilemma; when my day starts, I have about four things on my “to do” list. Working on the Gen3 car kit is usually #4. As I'm doing the other things, a VEC2 comes in for an update, I get a phone call, someone stops by and suddenly, it's noon. After lunch, the same routine starts and I get maybe an hour on the car kit, which is what happened today.

Trust me, it makes me sick to my stomach how long I've been working on this and how long other people have waited. If you feel you have to do something to the car and don't want to put a Paxton on, consider an aluminum flywheel and the VEC3, both of which will really wake the car up in terms of throttle response.
Since there are a lot of very experienced business owners on here, what do you guys do to keep from getting stuck in this daily rut? I could use a suggestion because I really want to get this finished.

For power, on our totally stock car, including cats, we picked up about 130 RWHP with 5.5psi. The exhaust is restricting power at this point, but I'm not ready to put an exhaust on the car yet. My main issue is getting everything under the hood and into the blower. The really hard work is done. Now it's just the piddly time consuming, trying to figure out the best method, type of work.

If you guys want me to set a "do or die" timeline, I'll try. Maybe I can justify not taking calls if I have a timeline that I must meet.

Regards,
Sean

Thanks Sean. A lot of us are waiting on your unit over the Paxton. A CARB approval would also be great! You'd sell a ton of units, especially in California!
:usa:
Flash

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at Lime Rock yesterday and heard from a very reliable source that that Sean has completed the kit and that it does fit under the current hood. I was told that Sean wants to build 50 kits before he announces they are available b/c of the back log in orders. I heard they will be announcing availability any day now. I AM EAGERLY WAITING TOO!