How much power can the stock Viper T-56 tranny take?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know several members are running 650hp+ w/ the stock unit but at what power levels do start beaking parts or at what power level would you suggest an upgrade?

PBJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine broke with 641 and 820. One of my customers broke with 705 and 920. In both cases the input shaft gear and balance gear had the teeth taken off. I broke the input shaft in half in my car also. I think it depends on how hard you shift the car...I am ******* parts. I speed shift my car and never lift between shifts, that is most likely why I broke mine. The other t-56 was not treated so badly, but it still came apart. I would say anything over 650 foot pounds of torque would be a good place to think about upgrading. I am getting ready to install a G-Force upgrade kit to my spare transmission. It has a larger input shaft , straight cut gears, and a upgraded fork. They say it will take over 900 ft/lbs...we will see. Hope that helps.
Later,
Joe

OP
OP
M

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine broke with 641 and 820. One of my customers broke with 705 and 920. In both cases the input shaft gear and balance gear had the teeth taken off. I broke the input shaft in half in my car also. I think it depends on how hard you shift the car...I am ******* parts. I speed shift my car and never lift between shifts, that is most likely why I broke mine. The other t-56 was not treated so badly, but it still came apart. I would say anything over 650 foot pounds of torque would be a good place to think about upgrading. I am getting ready to install a G-Force upgrade kit to my spare transmission. It has a larger input shaft , straight cut gears, and a upgraded fork. They say it will take over 900 ft/lbs...we will see. Hope that helps.
Later,
Joe

I've heard good things about them as well. I'm thinking about buying a worn out tranny and having them rebuild it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth