How reliable is your coupe?

Blue Marlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on either a 97' GTS or 06' coupe. I have done my research & it seems the GTS is very reliable, but there is not too much info. on the gen 3 coupes. The 97' I'm looking at is like new with only 14K miles, the 06' coupe has 35K miles and there is only 3K difference in the price (35K vs. 38K). I'm leaning towards the 06' but was wondering if it is as reliable as the 97'. I have not seen the 06' in person yet (is a 9hr. drive away) and was planning on having a viper tech. check it out. What do you think?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either way they are both very reliable. The 06 has way better brakes and a liittle more power.

OP
OP
B

Blue Marlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to see if there were any members in tbe Mobile Alabama area that could check it out, but for some reason I don't have privileges to post in the regional forums.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either is a good choice. Go with what you prefer looks wise and keep in mind your mod plans.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that the '06 would be more reliable just based on age. Not necessarily engine wise, but just little things starting to fail and break due to age. Little things breaking on Vipers always mean $$$$$.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go with what look and creature comforts you are looking for. (as if vipers really have creature comforts Take ABS for example. No ABS in the '97 so if thats important to you than the choice is easy.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A lot more miles on the 06.

I bought a highly modified 01 GTS.

Buy what makes you happy. Gen 3 runcrap wheels look nicer than Gen 2 STOCK wheels but runcraps on my 98 GTS crashed my car. PS2s are the best. I'd buy another Roe supercharged GTS in a second while the Gen 3s don't modify as easily. The >99 viper came with forged pistons so that a Roe could go 8psi easily and reliably. Gen 3 front brakes are a must so I bought lightweight (same as 08 ACR) front brakes for a couple thousand.

The Gen 3 does have some engineering improvements over the Gen 2 although even the coupe is not as pretty.

Stock for stock and buying a driving car instead of a collector car you probably want the coupe. For modifications and retaining it's value you'd waant the GTS.

You should drive both and then decide.

Ted

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 GTS has 8K miles & i have had no issues. Great looking car.
My 2006 VOI 9 Car has 5 miles & i have yet to have any problems.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
17,800 pus miles and no problems on my SRTC other than the window regulator on the driver's side. The GTS will have, or will already have, an issue with drooping doors because the hinge ages and the door sill insulation needs to be replaced. Also carefully check the rear exhauster vents and make sure the center console has no cracks. The SRTC is more powerful, has better brakes, handles a bit better, and, at least for me, has better seats.

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 06 has 38k on it and last summer I went out west for a nice road trip and racked up a total 5,700miles in 8 days lol. Not a single issue. I had the Kumho's on at the time and drove excellent in the rain. If I'm not mistaking, GEN 3 rides abit smoother than the older gens.

OP
OP
B

Blue Marlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 97 GTS seems quite overpriced considering there's only a 3K difference between the 2 cars...

Seems the Gen 2 GTS holds it's value very well. I have seen a few priced in the low 30's and a couple in the high 20's, but all had multiple owners and questionable history. The GTS for 35K is a origianl owner car and looks like it came off the showroon floor. Seems most really nice GTS's are in the mid 30K range. I really do like the styling of the gen2 GTS, but it seems I would be getting "more for my money" perfomance wise with the SRT10 coupe. I am planning on taking the car to the track & using it as a weekend ride so that's why I am concerned with reliablity of the Gen3.

ssnaked

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 06 coupe is a much better car. Mine has been bullit proof. Faster, safer and handles better. GTS' are beautiful. If you plan on going to the track at all get the 06. Its night and day with a GTS. Nice problem to have. Good luck.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You didn't say if you wanted to keep stock. Both Gens have bad exhaust that should be upgraded to hi-flows and catback. I'd add headers and then the Gen 2 sounds better because of the longer rear exit exhaust (as explained by the Corsa Tech at VOI X).

Bob said that the Gen 3 seats are more comfortable for him. The seats of the Gen 2 have adjustable lumbar support which isn't needed in the Gen 3 seats? The Gen 3 might have limited options for supercharging (Paxton only) whereas the Gen 2 97 has forged pistons and can handle 8.5psi boost easily. My stock engined 98 GTS has a Roe supercharger installed with catback exhaust (nothing else) and it made 600rwhp/644rwtq or about 730bhp which will eat all ZR1 and stock Gen 4s.

IF YOU WANT TO Modify your car this matters.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:eater:
You didn't say if you wanted to keep stock. Both Gens have bad exhaust that should be upgraded to hi-flows and catback. I'd add headers and then the Gen 2 sounds better because of the longer rear exit exhaust (as explained by the Corsa Tech at VOI X).

Bob said that the Gen 3 seats are more comfortable for him. The seats of the Gen 2 have adjustable lumbar support which isn't needed in the Gen 3 seats? The Gen 3 might have limited options for supercharging (Paxton only) whereas the Gen 2 97 has forged pistons and can handle 8.5psi boost easily. My stock engined 98 GTS has a Roe supercharger installed with catback exhaust (nothing else) and it made 600rwhp/644rwtq or about 730bhp which will eat all ZR1 and stock Gen 4s.

IF YOU WANT TO Modify your car this matters.

Just my one cent. Paxton plus stock Gen 3 and tune =704rwhp

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as far as looks goes, the 06 makes the GTS look like it belongs in the 1980's.

Just look at this beauty :)

You must be registered for see images

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had my GTS for 3 days now with no problems.:D Bought it strictly as a weekend hobby car and don't plan on tracking it, After many months of shopping I would say that if the 06 is in great shape that it's a solid deal. The GTS is priced right at or a little above market value. If you plan on racing it and leaving it normally aspirated then the the 06 probably makes the most sense for you. As far as looks go the 06 coupes are beautiful but I was between getting a vintage muscle car and Viper so I went with a GTS because it is one of the best looking cars ever built IMO and it retains a more classic look and feel.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont know why anyone hasnt pointed out the obvious yet

38K dosent get you a clean 2006 coupe....Cheapest I have ever seen period for a 2006 coupe is 47K....

Now 35K for a 1997 GTS...Thats a lil pricey...Id be willing to spend maybe 31K for that car..

For a 2002 Id be willing to spend maybe 38K...2003 SRT10 maybe 40K...2006 coupe..50K..

See what im saying....38K for a 2006 coupe is 10K under what they usually sell for....Somethings up with that..

But lets assume that they are both great vehicles and the 2006 really is 38K and a great car..

Why in the world would you even consider a 450 HP car over a 510 HP car that has a
/lesser interior
/lesser HP
/lesser brakes
/lessor handling
/slower 0-60 mph
/slower 1/4 mile mph
/slower0-150 mph
/slower 1 mile mph
/slower road course times
/9 years more age
/lesser fit and finish
/less cubic inches

I mean seriously....Now if your limited to 30's as far as spending then I can see how it could be a 2002 GTS VS a 2003 vert...And even then all the above still holds true..

But seriously a GTS vs a coupe??????

I was once a gen2 owner and got sucked into thinking the gen2 was just as fast and just as good as the srt10's.......Then I bought an SRT10..

They are considerABLY FASTER....I was 3 mph faster in the srt10 than gen 2 in the 1/4 mile...Brakes wernt even close...handling wasnt even close...

As far as looks go...

A SRT10 is a car you can park next to a ferrari and the fit/finish and lines of the car still look good..

You park a gen2 next to a ferrari and the old lights and body panal gaps ect. really show their age...

Why do I even have to keep posting these things??????

I guess until youve owned both it's just not as easy to see..

Go rent a gen 2 and then rent a gen3...Seriously....Then see if you still ask this question

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I see that there are quite a few 01 GTSs for sale and the cheapest one I saw in the classified was $38,500. Couple for $75,000 a few more for about $50K, 2 GTS 98s for $37,000. UGR for $90K, and a GT2 for $119,000.

I'd say an average price for a Gen 2 is about $42-48,000 according to the classifieds.

Yup, 02s are averaging about $46,000.

2006 coupe looks like about $52,000 for a decent speciment in our classifieds.

Ted

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi