How to beat Ryan94rt10? Make him autocross!

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, we have all heard Ryan's online bragging about what a butt-kicking racer he is. Achilles99 and I decided to put this to the test today at the last Atlanta Region SCCA autocross event of the year. Ryan brought his great-looking and great-sounding 96 GTS to the event. Achiiles had his 00 Rt/10 and I had my 02 GTS.
Well, it was SUPER cold and we were all in the second run group. When it came time to drive, Ryan laid down the gauntlet with a time of 65 seconds. This was his best time of the day.
WHAT?!
Achilles finished up with a 58-second time and I had a 56. We blew Ryan away by MANY seconds! We scratched our heads and wondered, then decided to post it here.
In all fairness, Ryan only took one run and then had to go. At Road Atlanta, we expect that Ryan would be faster than us. But we absolutely could not miss the gloating opportunity, so here it is!

Cheers Ryan!
rofl.gif

P.S. I've got a few pics from the event, if someone can post them I can email them. I also took several videos, but they are 20+megs and I don't know how to share them!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah....don't forget to mention: just to take it easy on you guys I took the wifes 911 and left the fast car at home. Can you say 55 seconds ? When Ryan "take it to the track" reads this its going to be like stirring a hornets nest.

Surly 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris,

It's Surly1 (remember Road Atlanta). Hey, not that Ryan needs defending, but why not ask how many Auto Croos events he has been in before Sunday? I have no experience in those and you'd kick my **** there too! Keep me in touch on next Auto Cross event though cause I'd like to get my feet wet soon.

Sorry I didn't see ya at the Cristmas party, your ride looks like the real deal Chris!

OP
OP
C

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Surly,
Pete mentioned something about having a Georgia VCA autocross series next year in conjunction with the Atlanta Porsche Club. So I guess we can all watch for that.
As far as Ryan goes, the main point was just to poke fun at him because he is always on this board and Corvette Forum talking smack with various people. Ryan recently bet a guy on Corvette Forum $1000 that he could beat him in a race at Road Atlanta (the Corvette guy failed to show up). Here is what Ryan posted before the autocross, directed to 1TONY1:

LEts see what you got TOny. YOu may have to change your plate to
TONY2 after the autocross.

Of course, Tony shows up in a 911 and beat all of us! I knew that Ryan would take this in good fun, so no flame intended.

Having 3 Vipers at the autocross caused quite a stir. However, going to this event reminded me of why I stopped attending Atlanta SCCA autocross events. Too crowded, too much waiting for too little driving time. I am going to keep going to the Middle Georgia events in Warner Robins, and maybe over to Birmingham as well. And if Pete gets us piggybacked onto the PCA events, so much the better!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha! This thread is too funny... I can't wait until Ryan posts his excuse. Of course, like ChrisGTS mentioned, it's all in good fun and the only reason why we bring it up is because he beat everyone at Andretti's the day before (ahem, I mean there was a computer error at Andretti's
smile.gif
), and because he knows we are just joking around.

Surly1 - As for experience, Ryan has driven auto-x events in Atlanta before, so he's no newbie. Besides, I just bought my Viper this past week. Not to toot my own horn (but I will anyway
smile.gif
), but I had driven the Viper a total of 40 miles before Sunday's event (not including the highway drive to get it back to Atlanta from SC). What better way to learn how to drive the Viper than at a competitive event against FLYIN' RYAN!!

Marty - I LOVED those Stoptechs on your car! I needed them badly... ask Tony or ChrisGTS... my second run, I locked the front tires badly. Funny thing is, I didn't hear a sound from the tires. Just a bunch of smoke coming from the rear! If you aren't going to use them, can I buy them? I can trade you my current stock brakes, and I'll even stencil in STOPTECH for you
wink.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChrisGTS:

Having 3 Vipers at the autocross caused quite a stir.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
A stir was right. Its what I expected.....a few folks checked the Porsche 911 out but nothing like Chris and Achilles had going on......Just the normal viper thing, people sitting in them, they were having to take pictures of people posing in/beside/around them.
A Ga. vca autocross series would be great, if the Porsche guys can handle the "inattention" that I frequently remind my betterhalf of.

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess i have to set the record straight. I will not do another
scca event unless i want to waste the whole day. Got up at 6:30 to meet the guys (Slow chris and even slower linh). I stayed until 1
redface.gif
o only because linh had my viper blocked in and i couldnt leave to go watch football(ah football now we are talking, GO PATS). Anyway they had the times correct but i have to say that they ran about the same as i did on the first run. I did leave and will have to save my honor at road atlanta or a viper vs vet autocross. This waiting all day for a few runs just doesnt do it for me.I WILL NEVER DO A SCCA AUTOCROSS AGAIN, I HATE WAITING!!! Last thing i will say is that i did like the way they set up the course it was more open, not like the porsche club events, so the big cars could have a chance.

I want a rematch get the word out vet vs viper autocross 2003
LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ON A GOOD NOTE I DID GET THE BEST TIME AT THE XMASS PARTY. MARTY STOP TRYING TO PUT PEOPLE INTO THE WALL OR YOU WILL BE NEXT.

HAD FUN SEE YA SOON
FLYIN RYAN

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm... let's see. ChrisGTS ran a 58.xx his first run, I ran a 61.xx ... yeah, I guess your 65.*** is close. Not close enough to call Chris and I slow, though
smile.gif
Of course, Tony showed us all that we were slow with his 911!

I agree with Ryan, though. That will be my last Atlanta SCCA auto-x. Too much downtime, and too many people. I think a Viper auto-x would be great. Even better if it were against the Z06's.

As for waiting, my suggestion is to go to the Middle GA auto-x events. ChrisGTS and I have gone to about 3 of them, and they are great. 15-20 cars show up (as opposed to 200 in Atl), and you don't have to wait. We were able to drive to Warner Robbins (which is 100 miles away), run about 20 laps instead of 4 in Atlanta, and then drive home within a time frame that was smaller than Atl. (ie, we left later in the morning, and came back earlier in the evening).

All-in-all, the auto-x was a good chance to see the Viper at work though. I enjoyed the Christmas party at Andretti's, too. It was great to meet a lot of you... and for those that I didn't get to meet, I hope to do so at the next event!

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I CAnt wait til 2003 its going to get interesting with all the chatter from the Ga chapter. I guess i will wait until the next event.

see ya
ryan

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the AutoX , Bring it to road atlanta next month! lets see if Flyn Ryan or is it rotating Rouleau has got the goods!

& by the way did 1tony1 have the traction control on? Porsche has an excellent drivers aid like the Z06 weenies have. Drive it Au'natural!

J.D. Farmer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll join in on the Ryan ego buster smack down for just a moment.

You better watch out Ryan. The Reliant clocked a 64 second first pass and a best of 63.015. That's two seconds faster in a car that cost less the last set of tires you bought for yours.

'88 Plymouth Reliant (daily ******)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960