How to remove cats

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am getting ready to remove the cats and resonators on my '01 GTS and replace them with a 3" straight pipe. I have a RandomTek X pipe and just picked up the rest of the parts to take me up to the resonator; including the O2 sims and a couple of 2.5" to 3" adapters.

Before I remove my side sills I wanted to know what I am getting into. I have searched the site looking for instructions on how to remove everything and I'm good to go with one exception. That is: how are the cats connected forward, towards the engine, are they welded or clamped? Will I have to saw them off? Will I have to weld on the straight pipe and 2.5"-3" adapter or are clamps OK?

Thanks in advance!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the cats are welded to the pipe which contains the flex connectors and secures to your factory headers. That pipe secures to your headers with a v-band connector which may or may not leak after you remove it. I used a band saw to cut the OEM cats off. Some either weld on pipe or new cats, and some use band clamps. I used v-bands, but there are different options depending on your finances and desires. If you can get in my gallery there should be a picture of this exact area.

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What Cam said. They are welded in..here are some pics:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4