How to turn off passenger airbag on 2008 Viper

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
It is a second generation airbag, with sensors to acknowledge a passenger of sufficient weight to survive the force. Small children (under 80lbs I believe) will be acknowleged by a light on the dash that states "air bag off".

Actually spotted it working (turning off) the other day when my 12 year old was in the passenger seat.

Not sure if there's any other way to bypass it (I believe you can pull a fuse but it is not recommended... something about static charge, etc)

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about when I have my son with caar seat? They still have the safety hooks right?? Poor my son he loves Vipers!

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe it will feel the modest weight of the car seat and occupant, and will acknowledge that it is off.

JonB may have some tidbits about how to safeguard the airbag from operating with a small passenger (in other words: make SURE it's off)

What about when I have my son with caar seat? They still have the safety hooks right?? Poor my son he loves Vipers!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
How can I turn off this airbag on the passenger side ?

...............JonB may have some tidbits about how to safeguard the airbag from operating with a small passenger (in other words: make SURE it's off)

Tnx Joe.........

CAUTION: Schulmann's motive may be for track-use, no passenger...??? As in: Why risk blowing an expensive airbag with a slow tire-wall tap? [As opposed to a lightweight child, in which "the car Senses the weight" as stated.]

SIMPLE, NO OCCUPANT SHUTOFF: Simply fasten the Px seatbelt! If there is no weight in the seat, the module shuts off the Px airbag, and illuminates the 'airbag off' warning lite, confirming this.

Tidbits:

If you travel with light cargo in the seat, the 'airbag off' will illuminate.

A 5' / skinny worker at PIR-Portland is my com-person in the pace car if/when Doris is not avail for a specific race. She is so light that the 'airbag-off' warning illuminates.

I have NOT checked for Gen 4, but I believe there is probably a RELAY for the Px airbag....if so, it could be pulled with the vehicle / ignition OFF of course. Your Risk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank Jon, this is a very good advise !

If you pull the airbag relay the brake lights will not work ! I have already tried this.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank Jon, this is a very good advise !

If you pull the airbag relay the brake lights will not work ! I have already tried this.

You are welcome.....Joe Houss sent me. Is that your ASSumed motive?

ps I heard you dont use brakes.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang