HP Gains

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just found out I have aftermarket high flow cats on my 99 gts with stock heads but a borla exhaust. I also have smooth tubes and a lightened flyweel. How much of a hp increase from the stock 450 do these things give me?

Handy:drive:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would guess 465rwhp. The stockers don't normally make 450RWhp on a dyno. Stock hp is rated by a formula and although Dodge is usually underrated as per crankshaft hp, they usually don't make the numbers on a car dyno.

Ted

OP
OP
H

handyman_321

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Those guesses are higher than I thought... thanks. So does that mean I would have 500 at the crank? Cuz that would be nice to tell evryone who asks...lol

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Smooth tubes and K&N's are the ACR upgrade, and Dodge spec'd that combo at 460 vs. 450 for the non ACR. So I call those options worth 10 at the flywheel.

Lightened flywheel only adds apparent hp, but not real hp.

I've seen people discuss 10 hp or so on cat-back exhausts, maybe 5 to 10 more or so on the cats.

My '01 GTS has the tubes and K&N's, with a Bellanger cat-back. I say 470 hp. Never gotten me thrown out of a bar.

apun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the old Borla cat back, no cats, smooth tubes, and K&N filters and dyno'd ~426rwhp on my 99GTS.

Alex

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My '99 GTS has stock exhaust, lightened flywheel, smooth tubes, K&N filters, Roller Rockers, 3.55 rear, and is Silver(slower than red?!?), and I have the Dyno sheet at 440.2 at the wheels. I hope that helps you a little.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dyno numbers are always different from dyno to dyno. Especially if you're using different brands...my GTS (K&N, smooth tubes, rear muffler delete) dynoed 422RWHP and 465RWTQ on a Dynojet dyno and 377RWHP and 436RWTQ on the Mustang dyno at our shop. No changes were made to the car, that is just the difference in calibration between the two.

I also believe the factory rating of 450 crank HP is low, I would bet it's closer to 465 on average. This is using the industry standard Dynojet to measure the numbers. If you go by the Mustang measurements the 450hp 490lb/ft make much more sense.

Just my $.02

Rob

and yes I will use any excuse to squeeze in a couple pics of my baby. ;)

That's me operating the dyno.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[/quote]
and yes I will use any excuse to squeeze in a couple pics of my baby. ;)
[/quote]
Yeah, same here. Dang, those cars look familiar!!:D
April07_redViper_001.jpg