Hurst Shifter Installed

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, thanks for the warm welcome!

It's raining in North Texas so I decided to install the Hurst shifter. The install took about 1.5 hrs (I needed to go to the barn to get some RTW sealant!) and without any problems. The install is the same as outlined in the illustrated upgrade section re: B&M Shifter Installation. The Hurst shifter comes with an butt-ugly (but usable) white shift knob but you can purchase a black knob with Viper Logo from several vendors (Archer Racing for example) as I did. I'll have to live with the white knob until my logo-knob arrives.

Yes, the throw is shorter, the shifter height is lower. I took my car out only to check gear engagement so I haven't "thrashed" through the gears as yet. The gates are tight-feeling but I just need to train my cerebellum to the new feel. It doesn't feel like I'm shifting my tractor!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could you please post a picture of the finished install. I have been seriously considering the Hurst over the B&M. Mainly because the Viper specific one has a pretty hefty Viper Tax.

If you can't post pics, send it to me and I will post it up.

John

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yayks, just like the image I have in mind (been a long time since I seen one)... dare I challenge someone to photoshop it into an interior pic of a Viper :p ? IMHO it would look a little "out of place" in a Snake :eek: ...

OP
OP
C

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a "network problem" with the computer that stores my images. But when I get reconnected I'll send an image of the Hurst shifter in my viper.

The shifter shown is NOT the one for the Viper. True, it has the same general shape. But the Viper unit's shaft immediately below the knob threads is 1" or so in diameter so that the rubber shift boot fits snuggly. The shift knob appears to virtually rest on at the top of the leather boot.

Ie., virtually no down-shaft shows.

The shifter runs between $219 (eBay) to $230 (other venders). But, the Viper logo shift knob will add another $36-39 depending on source.

(I'll get my son to help me with the network connections!)

[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/9142[/image]

OP
OP
C

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll try to post my Hurst shifter image:

[image]http://gallery.viperclub.org/showphoto.php/photo/13562/sort/1/cat/500/page/1[/image]

Well...that's "craptacular"!! Anyway, there's the link and you can see it in my gallery. Sorry, I'll need photo-posting remedial ed. :rolleyes:

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use IMG /IMG rather than IMAGE /IMAGE

9142PICT0120-med.jpg

OP
OP
C

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately...NO. I have a black knob with Viper Logo being shipped. (That's the single draw-back of the Hurst design).

BTW, the shifter functions well. It has a "sharp-edged" feel to the gates but is easy to get used to.