Hurst Shifters versus B&M Shifters

LynnS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen a number of posts concerning installing B&M Short-Shifters. Does anyone have experience with the Hurst Short-Shifter for Vipers? If so, please comment on the installation and your satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) with it.

Thanks,

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have heard/read the hurst gives a shorter throw but does not look as nice and I dont think you can put on any aftermarket knob.

I bought a B&M shifter and it should be here any day now so I will let you know once it arrives.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the B&M shifter from Snake-Oyl, paid around $350.00, very easy to follow instructions included, My son and I put it in my GTS in about an hour, the hardest part is drilling out the factory pop rivets around the shifter boot... and I only needed to drill 1, 3/4 inch hole in my tranny **** to get access to the rear bolt of the old shiter, instuctions call for 2.
The end product is wicked, wow, what a differance, I love it.....

VPRVENM97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't comment on the Hurst shifter but I've been real happy with the B&M shifter and MGW Enduro shift knob. The B&M has a much shorter throw and more positive feel when compared to stock. Install was easy since the tranny was out for the flywheel swap. Got it from summitracing.com for $220. Looks like they're $250 now and they've gone back to the adjustable stops.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hurst shifter #P4510168 MSRP $249.00

I installed the first one not that long ago and I liked the feel of it better then the B&M. My 2 cents.
Yes, the hardest part of the installation is drilling out the rivets on the lower shift boot! :mad:

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you have plenty of drill bits!

Ray, all you need is just one 1/4" "Cobalt" drill bit for those "fun" rivets. Be sure you turn the bit at a slow speed. Also place the vacuum hose next to your working area. Makes for a clean job.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's really not necessary to drill out the rivets and make a huge mess inside the car. If anyone is interested, I have a write-up on how to do it from under the car. It is a lot easier and takes less time.
Jerry

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you have plenty of drill bits!

Ray, all you need is just one 1/4" "Cobalt" drill bit for those "fun" rivets. Be sure you turn the bit at a slow speed. Also place the vacuum hose next to your working area. Makes for a clean job.

See thats exactly why Im havin the Wizard do mine in the spring.

see what you can learn by picking this guys brain.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I installed the first one not that long ago and I liked the feel of it better then the B&M. My 2 cents.
Yes, the hardest part of the installation is drilling out the rivets on the lower shift boot! :mad:

Is that part number the same for the '04 gen 3 cars???

thanks

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that part number the same for the '04 gen 3 cars???

thanks

Yes Steve, same part # 92-04.

Jerry,
Never tried it from the under side? Can't see it being any easier?

But what do I know, last week "i cudent sperl mA-can-ick, now i are 1". ;)

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's really not necessary to drill out the rivets and make a huge mess inside the car. If anyone is interested, I have a write-up on how to do it from under the car. It is a lot easier and takes less time.
Jerry

I would like to read your write up on this. I have a lift so that might help.

Chuck, so you have tried both shifters & your opinion is that the Hurst feels better? My major concern is the 2-3 & 3-4 shift. Stock shifter needs a better sure path into these gears IMO.

Andy

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is Jerry's write up. I saved it from a LONG time ago:

Here's a write-up on changing the shifter from under the car.
Removing the shifter
1. Put the car on jack stands with the frame about 17 in. off the floor.
2. Remove the frame plate under the transmission by removing all 12 of the attachment bolts with a 19/32 or 15mm socket.
3. Put the shifter in neutral and keep it there during this whole procedure. Remove the shifter knob from the shifter stud from inside the car with a 3/4 open end wrench. Now remove the stud. If you have the original shifter stud with the shock mounting isolator, the stud will be easier removed from under the car with a 3/4 or 19 mm open end wrench, after you have performed item 5. If you have the aftermarket SVSI solid stud, remove it now (before lowering the transmission), from the inside of the car. Simply push down on the shifter boot and unscrew it with a 9/16 open end wrench, and pull it out of the boot. If you have aftermarket throttle body intake tubes, loosen them on one end so that when you drop the rear of the transmission they will not be damaged when pulled away from the air box.
4. Put a jack under the rear of the transmission just in front of the crossmember support, then remove the two crossmember bolts that hold the rear of the transmission. Use a 15 mm socket and a 15 mm open end wrench.
5. After the bolts are removed, lower the jack so that the trany comes down a little more than 1 in. at the bolts.
6. Reach up over the top of the rear part of the transmission to locate by feel the four bolts that hold the shifter to the top of the transmission. Use a 13 mm open end wrench to remove these four bolts. Be careful that you do not remove the wrong two bolts that are forward of these four bolts and the same size. The space is tight in this area, but after a little practice it is not that difficult. The two forward bolts are the most difficult, but if you take small movements of the wrench with the length of the wrench forward and turning the wrench over after each movement, you will be able to remove these bolts. You may find it helpful to unclip some of the wiring harnesses in the tunnel and push them aside, to get more room. The amount of room depends on how far the trany comes down. On my car with aftermarket tri-y headers, it only came down 1 inch. With stock headers, the trany may come down 1 1/2 in..
7. The shifter probably is sealed to the trany with RTV sealer, so you may have to pry on it to get the shifter to come loose. When loose, lift vertically, then move it around to get it to come out of the small space. The ball end of the shifter fits into a plastic bushing that may come out with the shifter. Make sure that you put this bushing back into the trany into its pocket. You will feel the hole where it should be located.

Reinstalling the shifter
1. Put the stock rubber boot seal back on shifter if you have removed it for any reason. Work the shifter around (without the shifter stud), until you get it to go back into the small space and on top of the trany. Make sure that you have the plastic bushing in place. Before putting in the bolts, raise the shifter slightly and apply with your finger a thin coat of RTV sealer to the rim of the mounting surface of the trany. I used Permatex Ultra Copper (red in color), but any high temperature RTV will work. This is necessary since there is some free oil in this shifter box. Now put in the four bolts and tighten them down. I did not use Locktite on the four bolts, since it makes it too hard to remove a second time if necessary.
2. If you are installing the stock shock mounted shifter stud, replace it as you removed it, from under the car. If you are installing an aftermarket solid stud, you can install this one from inside the car after step 3.
3. Now re-clip the wire harnesses that you may have unclipped. Jack up the trany and reinstall the two crossmember bolts. Replace the frame plate with the turned down lip at the front, and torque all 12 of these bolts to 30 ft. lbs. starting from the center and working outward.
4. If you have an after market shifter stud to install, go inside the car and push the shifter boot down until you see the shifter arm. Put in the shifter stud with blue 242 Locktite on the arm of the shifter. Make sure that you thread the metric thread into the shifter and not the 1/2-20 thread which is for the knob. SVSi makes a solid shifter bolt that is 3 1/2 in. long if you want to replace the stock shock stud. The cost of the longer stud was around $10. Put on the shifter knob of your choice. Now reconnect the throttle body intake tubes where they were disconnected, and you are
done.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, so you have tried both shifters & your opinion is that the Hurst feels better? My major concern is the 2-3 & 3-4 shift. Stock shifter needs a better sure path into these gears IMO.

Andy

Yes the stock is: Hope it goes in!

2-3 & 3-4 upshift is very positive with the Hurst. In my humble opinion. :smirk:
My vote is on the Hurst.