I had an "H" pipe fabercated..what is the H pipe good for?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had an \"H\" pipe fabercated..what is the H pipe good for?

I went to midas and had the rear muffs removed and had them put a H pipe out. I was told to do this so I did. What is the purpose of the H config? More power or just sound? I'm not happy with the stock sound. even with the rear mufflers removed. Still sounds a bit wimpy to me. I guess I will be looking for a set of cat backs. Any used ones for sale with an aggressive price?

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I had an \"H\" pipe fabercated..what is the H pipe good for?

Having just fitted a new system from the heads down, I examined the standard system as I removed it and listened to the motor at varios stages of removal. The rear silencers make little difference. The in sill silencers also only contribute some silencing but are <u>very</u> small bore inside ( 45mm ) and must restrict power. The cats do quite a bit of the silencing but look reasonably efficient. If you want a BIG sound go for a big exhaust and use hi-flo cats.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Having tried both the Snake Oyl (without the "H" cross over) and my home made version (with the "H") I found the idle sound to be superior with the non "H", (cammier rather than motorboat-ish) but prefer the "H" version overall do to a nicer higher RPM sound and a tighter interior drone RPM band. I'll do anything to minimize drone, but still have quite a bit, unfortunately.

As Chuck states, the "H" is too far back to make any power improvement though.</FONT f>

You must be registered for see images

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually, I haven't checked out the exhaust of my Vipers but I'm surprised there is no H-pipe.

The H-pipe is notorious for producing 10-20 HP in muscle cars and should do just as good on a Viper I would think. Of course, placement of the pipe and its geometric configuration are factors. Some of this information is secret.

Also, as I recall, the H-pipe will actually reduce the sound output of your car because each pulse now goes thru both mufflers.

I'm very interested in hearing the results of your H-pipe installation!
bounce.gif

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adam...you've been living there too long......"fabercated" what the hell is that!
I heard that the H is for back pressure........

OP
OP
Q

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

My H pipe is on right now. It's a bit louder, but I give that due to the rear **** being removed. Anyone else?

Antonia,

Invite me to itlay and let me drive your ford 150!..I mean your ferrari f-50..what's up bro!! How you been!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adam, the H just gives it a little bit different sound than an X pipe or straight pipes. There is no performance gain to having an H pipe that far back in the system. I think the X might sound a little throatier.

I'm convinced that it only sounds "a bit whimpy" because you're concealed in a GTS whereas in the openess of an RT/10 it sounds great. I think it will sound alot different to the people behind you than it does to you. Let someone else drive your Viper and then you follow behind and listen. Let them get on it a few times so you can hear it open up.

Then again, maybe you want it louder than what removing the muffler can do.

RECOIL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Belanger exhaust is an "H" pipe exhaust. I can't wait until mine arrive.

Steve