I hit a deer!

bluebya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2001 GTS (12,000 miles), the deer hit the drivers side front corner, flew up in the air and landed on the roof... it was a very sad day...I am taking it to the shop today after work and the state farm adjuster is coming wednesday. Visable damage includes 2 large cracks in the hood, many, many other small stress cracks throughout, facia is damaged, headlight housing broke, inner wheel well (spalsh guard) broke, front side of door chipped from edge of hood hitting it... I can not find any visable damage on the roof ???

I want to educate myself for the adjuster... I know parts alone are already totaling over $23,000.

How do I insure the adjuster does not get the bright idea to fix this hood? Could the car be totaled? If so, will they offer to let me buy it back, how much?

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without seeing pix, if your hood is that cracked up it's probably a total.

Best thing you can do is call Jon B @ PartsRack.com! 360-837-3937

Even before taking it to the shop today, ask Jon to give you some pointers...

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me last July with very similar damage. Here is the post...
http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/628149-deer-vs-99-gts.html

With my car, they repaired the cracks in the hood, front fascia, and right side sill. I got a new headlight, side marker, emblems, crash pad under the fascia, and driving light. They repainted everything forward of the windshield and with adding stripes it came to about $5,000.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you taking the deer to the shop? hehe j/k

Sounds like a total to me. Even though damage may be repairable, those hoods are expensive and the insurance company will weigh the cost of repair against the estimated value of the car.

You may be able to buy it back from them, find a hood on ebay, and get it repaired yourself.

Good luck.

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd hope they totalled it and let them keep it and buy a new one. We all know that the first thing most people do before buying one of these cars is to check the vehicle history, usually by carfax. I hate to say it, but unless they do total it, the value of what someone will pay for it just dropped dramatically if you decided to sell it after being repaired.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't help much with the repair...but make sure it's a comprehensive claim, not collision. Hitting a deer is not in the eye of insurance companies a collision. Your deductible is likely lower for comp and the claim may be viewed differently than collision when it comes to your rates.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hoods are going for 18-20K so should be a total. Sad situation , but you won't want it fixed as it will never bring the right money again.

Hang in there and if you need any help, just send me a PM.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your news :( Sounds like the repair costs could be rather Deer! .........:buttkick:

Good luck with what ever you decide to do ;)

So what happened to the Deer?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think a used hood would be a better choice than a repaired hood. You should be able to collect a few grand cash for "loss of value". JonB is copnsidered an expert by most insurance adjusters.

Mark has also offered the help and every quote and/or estimate submitted to the insurance co should be considered by them.

Ted

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can get diminished value paid to you by your own insurance company. All of the one's I've heard of were paid by the other person's (who was at fault) insurance.
It *****, but most animals don't have very good coverage.:dunno:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can get diminished value paid to you by your own insurance company. All of the one's I've heard of were paid by the other person's (who was at fault) insurance.
It *****, but most animals don't have very good coverage.:dunno:

That's a good point. I suppose it would depend on individual state laws and insurance company rules. Question for a lawyer.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bummer!! i feel your pain 2 years ago i hit a deer at 100mph in my 05 ram srt-10 commemorative edition.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang