I know I'm in for a world of bashing, but what are your thoughts of an LSX motor...

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I know I'm in for a world of bashing, but what are your thoughts of an LSX motor.

If you're gonna do the LSX motor that don't forget the white hood vents.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I know I'm in for a world of bashing, but what are your thoughts of an LSX motor.

Hmmm, very disturbing...BUT, very interesting at the same time. As much as you would never hear the end of it, from a STRICTLY PERFORMANCE standpoint, it could actually be somewhat of an advantage. Hear me out guys...

First off, the F/R weight transfer would be improved. Maybe 45/55.? The stock f/r is about 50/50. This would help it at the track/road course. You would also drop about 300 LBS in weight as well and could rev it to 7500 all day if the motor was built right. Add a couple turbos to get it to 1000 HP and it would be pretty potent...the power band of a built TT LSX motor is one of the best out there.

With all that said, even if I had the money and owned 10 Vipers, I WOULD NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES do that. As cool as it might be from a performance standpoint, the degrading that you are doing to the Viper's name is 1000000000000000000000 times worse. So.....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think we should start some companion threads on topics like traction control and what the best color is.

:eater:

Maybe even a poll or two. :2tu:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A good LSX motor will not be any cheaper than a viper motor. Not to mention that the viper motor will ultimatly be able to produce more power and handle more power.

The only real advantage would be the weight, but you will just sacrifice power for lower weight.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As a novelty and keep-one-busy project it'd be interesting....I don't think it'd end up any faster or cheaper to maintain than a Viper motor when all is said and done.

it would definitely freak out Viper owners to hear the V-8 roar coming from the back of a snake. Not necessarily in a good way, but the first few seconds would be entertaining to see....:omg:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

--you can get into a high mileage GenII viper for next to nothing and have a great platform for a race car

It's safe to assume you are talking about a drag car and if that's the case doesn't everyone say the Mustang is the one to butcher up for that?

Anyway, the motor defines the car not the emblems on the side. So you'll really be driving a Chevy that just looks like a Viper.

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think buying a vette and swapping out the viper transmission would be cheaper route...so you can have best of both worlds...it won't make the vette owners hate you and it will definitely not make the viper owners really hate you...

I'm sure it was not a serious comment anyway but the Corvette uses a a rear-mounted transaxle so the T-56 will not fit. The T-56 was used in the Firebird/Camaro so perhaps with a bell housing swap the LSX will bolt in with a simple motor mount modification.

Rob

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Chevy motor in a Viper? Whats next? Cats and dogs living together?

Remember Sir Hiss? I think that was a Donovan race motor. Nobody seemed brand-offended at that.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A good LSX motor will not be any cheaper than a viper motor. Not to mention that the viper motor will ultimatly be able to produce more power and handle more power.

The only real advantage would be the weight, but you will just sacrifice power for lower weight.

If you are talking about 1200 HP + then maybe. But, you can build an LSX motor that will handle around 1000 HP for less than half of a Viper motor rebuild. Parts are much cheaper (even the best quality ones) for the LSX because, there is simply about 10 times as many cars on the road and that is the biggest factor for the aftermarket.

Oh, I still stand by statement, DON'T PUT A FUUCK1NG V8 IN A VIPER FFS!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Use stock everything except for pistons, unless you happen to have a forged piston car.

So the only expense you should have is a gasket set, bore/hone, pistons, rings. That will do 1000hp all day long, and without a doubt cheaper than any after market LSX block plus all the accessories you will need. And if you plan on using a stock block then even at only 1k hp your block will not be reliable unless its just for 1/4 mile racing.