I NEED INSURANCE ADVICE, MY VIPER IS TOTALED!!!

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
guys-

i need some help. i own a 1994 viper with 13k. the thing was in proitine shape before the accident, (6k the first year, since then 7k).

anyway, i need a insurance expert to tell me how to properly handle the insurance adjusters. i feel as though its bad enough some **** totaled my car and USAA will not fit it. now they want to cut me a check, but i know what the cars worth, and i dont want to take it up the rear again!

so please, any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Randy
[email protected]

2charmed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are not obligated to accept a check from them!
Tell them you can't replace the car for their "offer" and they are obligated to find you an equivelent replacement or to fix it.

If they are not being reasonable, tell them you will be turning this over to your attorney - they will become reasonable.

Jon B can help in this area too I think.

Good luck,

2Charmed

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bigr1,
Sorry, sorry to hear about your Viper.
Had to do the same thing a few years back when my son-in-law totalled his 1995 Viper.
He told the insurance Co. -- no deal.! We then documented what comparable '95s were selling for, and the key value we obtained was from the Dodge dealer that he bought the car from and used for service etc. Then gave him a letter stating the condition of the car, and the dollar amount that they would sell (retail)the car for. This allowed him to get his price, not the insurance price.

Good luck.
Later,

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think I may have even been in on Ruckman's deal back then!

#1) Document prices of COMPARABLES in Autorader.com, and AutoWeek and Dupont registry. Use sources that tend to run HIGH.

#2) Cherry-pick and DOCUMENT COMPARABLE other sources (VCA classifieds, Hemmings) ONLY if the particulars run a bit HIGH.

3) DOCUMENT SOURCES AGAIN! Select top 5-7. "Due Dilligence"
Demand that THEY provide comparables at THEIR rates.

4) If they counter with signals of "For THAT price we will rebuild your car" then YOU counter with: DIMINISHED VALUE.
"This is a rare, collectible car, in pristine shape an it is seriously DEVALUED by accident history." Once you show the car is devalued $8000-$10000, (more if a TOTAL) they come around.

5) Once you DOCUMENT, then average prices of top 5 COMPARABLES; Add in user-added options at 25-35%; Add in DELIVERY CHARGES you would pay to receive a comparable car; Add in tax/license that you already paid and would now have to pay again.

6) Buy A new Viper

7) Call PartsRack again and upgrade it again! GOOD LUCK.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a problem with USAA many years ago on a ROLLS P5 limo.
If you can't get them to agree... take them to arbitration.
You hire an expert in these matters they do the same and a referee decides. I still got screwed since mine was an EXCEPTIONAL nice example.My expert was an expert on Rolls Royce but not on the process and documentation needed to win. Hire only a certififed appraisal guy.
Only good deal is they add sales tax to settlement price.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the insurance people called today and said that the car was a total because the repaitr costs well exceeded 40k. i would hope that this means that i should get more than 40k from these people. i paid around this for the car 3 months ago, then paid $1400 for shipping, another $2500 in upgrades to the car, and another $2000 to register the car. My totals well excess $45k 3 months ago and 300 miles!

I was told that i should settle for no less than $41-43k, excluding these costs. does this seem right? i would think so, if not more! Seeing as i went on the dupont registy sight and autotrader and Vipers that were in my shape are going for anwhere between 40k-46k.

will the insurance companies recognize this. the last thing i feel like doing now is having to fight these people. i cant wait to hear their forst offer. i have a feeling like this is going to be a long process.

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just because the repair costs exceed 40k doesn't necessarily
mean that they will give at least that. They have the option to repair OR replace or give you the cash equivilent.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you when my 2000 GTS was totalled out it took quite a bit of haggling with Nationwide to get a fair price for it...You're not obligated to accept whatever offer they throw at ya...If you feel it's too low tell them as soon as they make the offer...I've had to deal with 2 cars that were both destroyed in the past year and both had to be negotiated with the adjusters because they both low balled me with their first offer...My GTS they finally came up an additional $6K from their first offer...

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When my yellow 95 was totalled, I was offered about $2K less than I figured it was worth (this was four years ago). I figured $48K, and USAA said $46K. I then found out what they would sell me the wreck for, and I jumped on their offer(s).

I bought the wreck back for $2K. Yeah, baby...worked for me.

Car was eventually fixed and is back on the road. Better than ever as far as driveability, but the paint job is kind of ghetto.

But that's OK...it's yellow ;-)

See what they'll sell the car back to you for before you get too upset.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through a total with Allstate. They gave me their $$$ figure and included in that was the:
car value (based on comparable cars on the market)
SALES TAX on that amount
and I think some $$$ for tag/title type fees

They did not break their total figure down until I was doing some questioning about taxes. I guess they don't mention it unless necessary because it makes their offer seem better if you are not thinking about taxes. The over $3000 in taxes could have
made a difference in me excepting their offer. As it was, after the tax amount they were still at the high portion of the replacement value I came up with ($42,500 to $45,500) so I was happy.
The point is....ask them if taxes are included and you may need to have them raise their $$$$. Also fyi, I did buy this car new so I paid sales tax.....as a Georgia resident if I had bought it
from an individual I would not have had to pay sales tax...BUT...if I total it I think they would still pay the sales tax because the replacement would have tax if purchased from a dealer. So if your state works the same for an individual purchase you may still get taxes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960