I RACED W/NEWZ06 SUNDAY, WARNING SRT10 ITS NOT GOOD NEWS

rschiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let the Ranger drive the SRT/10 and see what he can do with it. Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

What IS the best time posted for an SRT/10?

He does and he is extremely meticulous with his notes and the way he goes about extracting all possible performance out of a stock car.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let the Ranger drive the SRT/10 and see what he can do with it. Sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Tom (Wanted) ran a 11.559 in a near stock Gen II RT/10 - I'd say he knows what he's doing also.

SD SRT Coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You won't be able to add 50 plus HP to the Z06 with out opening the motor up like you can on the Viper. This is just a wake up call for SRT.

You might want to do some reseach chief, you couldn't be more WRONG. With headers and an K&N they are making 495RWHP, with a cam change they pulled 525RWHP. There is no tuning softwhare out yet so I'm sure with a tune it will make more.

That said, should be a great race :cool:

Actually, LG Motorsports just pulled 623 RWHP with a streetable cam, tuning, and lontubes. Rats!

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
OK, OK!!! I'll be the first.

11.3 in a "bone stock" 06 zosix sounds like a bunch of HOOEY to me!!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not hooey, but it is a track that has much better than average times and speeds. Location near sea level and good traction.

Do not assume that he or anyone else could do those numbers elsewhere. They are only for bragging purposes.

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run 11.31 at Cecil County; 11.31 at MIR and 11.20 at Capitol. Three different tracks on different days. That's in the first 18 passes. So improvement can be expected.

Ranger

Reaction score
Ranger - nice times! GM seems to have put together a fast car for the drag strip and you seem to know how to drive in a straight line. I like the 06 Z06 because it puts pressure on the team at SRT/Dodge to regain King of the Hill status. To 99% of the world the Z06 looks like the other approx. 25,000 vett's made per year. Have been told by friends who have driven the Z06 that it a nice car. I will take their work for that.

What is your goal visiting and posting on this site?

Just curious, as I have not interest to visit or post on a Vette, Ford, etc. site.

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...What is your goal visiting and posting on this site? Just curious, as I have not interest to visit or post on a Vette, Ford, etc. site....

My name and track times have been cited here by Viper owners a few times and I post occasionally to provide some balance or elaboration to their posts. My recent spate of posts here has been prompted by VCA's Wanted calling me out for some match racing against his RT10. If you take a look at my posts, I generally confine myself to facts not invectives.

Ranger

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To 99% of the world the Z06 looks like the other approx. 25,000 vett's made per year. ..........

To that point, how do you tell a Z06 from the 35 other vettes I pass on my way to work every day??

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To 99% of the world the Z06 looks like the other approx. 25,000 vett's made per year. ..........

To that point, how do you tell a Z06 from the 35 other vettes I pass on my way to work every day??

Z06 is 4 inches wider, mainly in fender flares; front (splitter and hood air-inlet) & roof (aero details and helmet bump) are different. Gurney lips on the wheel wells . Different wheels/tires. Z06 emblem above the side cowl. Larger duck-tail. Extra 100 rwhp which will be easy to recognize if you're side-by-side.

35K Vettes per year, about 5500 of those are Z06 for MY 2006. These production rates help keep the package price down. Trap speeds of 127. Priced under $70K. But lacks the exlusively of a VIper's low production rate and higher cost.

As car guy I have no trouble admiring many fast cars. But I buy the package that most appeals to me in the price range I want.

Ranger

Jasone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Z06 is 4 inches wider; ............. As car guy I have no trouble admiring many fast cars. But I buy the package that most appeals to me in the price range I want.

Ranger

Ranger, just to be clear, it wasn't a dig but an honest question. I don't partake in the religious wars of vette vs. viper. Just wanted to be able to spot a Z06 on the road. Chevy should do something to realy make them stand out from the crowd.

2MANYTOYS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw my first ZO6 (other than at the dealer) last night...he desperately wanted to race but my son was driving :confused: I preach to him all the time about "no street racing"...sure wish I was driving and my son was not in the car!! It's a small city so we will meet again!

The time will come around here when a new Z will want to test my old genII. I can't wait! :D There are a lot of corvettes in my area but I've only seen one Z.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I can spot a Z06 when side-by-side. But not from any distance. And yes, many also challenge but to date all have learned that this Viper is superior and generally have an odd look on their face. Hard to say a Viper is a sleeper but the vette public has been brainwashed into thinking the Z06 will just walk away from a Viper.

But, back to the 1/4 mile results, my comment was I seriously doubt any stock vette will do sub 12 seconds here. Whether it is the altitude, track preparation or whatever getting a 11.3 is not possible here. I have never seen a stock Viper do sub 12 here either so this was not directed at the vette in particular. However, internet readers that do not visit the track quote your (i.e. Rangers) numbers as if they themselves have done it and done it here.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ZO6 is a FAST car! More American Muscle to help push the Viper, Finally! :usa:

Ranger, you obviously make the ZO6 alot faster then the normal driver. :2tu:

In saying that! Go Wanted! :D

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let's all remember that the Z06 trans gearing is the same as the SRT-10s, except the Z06 runs a 3.42 rear gear (vs. 3.07 for the Viper) and smaller diameter rear tires. ... The Viper needs 3.33 or 3.45 rear gears (3.55 is too high IMO).

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35K Vettes per year, about 5500 of those are Z06 for MY 2006. These production rates help keep the package price down. Trap speeds of 127. Priced under $70K. But lacks the exlusively of a VIper's low production rate and higher cost.

Don't forget more aggressive, timeless looks and a more natural drive... nannytechs are for sissies. It legitimately beats the Viper in K-Mart "best bang for the buck" category... but 3 ugly hookers costs lesss than 1 beautiful one, too. (not that I would know... just relating it to those of you who might) :D :buttkick:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the great posts Ranger and congrats on your times.

I really wish that they made the Z06 in an exclusive color scheme or something that instantly told you it was THE car. I would probably pick one up if it didn't look like two other C6's in the neighborhood.

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great post. But, if you could hook up, I still say the viper has the 3.07 vs the z 3.42? Anyway I have both and love each car for different reasons. The porsche, however, is in a class by itself. And it is true that the viper wows the average man on the street----way, way over the z and p

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wanted to be able to spot a Z06 on the road. Chevy should do something to realy make them stand out from the crowd.

No chance of that happening. Chevy has painted themselves into a corner with the Vette. The Z06 is a vastly different car than a regular C6 and borders on supercar status. The problem is that Chevy will never be able to make a car that out performs the Vette. There’s too much heritage and the Vette is viewed as America’s quintessential sports car. The result is that no matter what kind of supercar Chevy makes, it will have to look just like a Vette and be called a Vette.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the times. My question is what fuel did the two cars use? Was it pump 93 octane or something a bit more exotic? Also, just so we are all using the same voabulary meaning, could Ranger please define the phrase "still being dialed In". For me, it means that changes to stock settings, whether tune or suspension, have been, and continue to be, made to obtain the best performance. Is this what you mean? If so, the vehicle is not truely stock. Vipers still, unfortunately, to my knowledge, cannot easily be dyno tuned within the stock module. There is at least one outfit on the West Coast that claims to have done same but there has been very little feedback from the owners of the Vipers regarding the results of same with respect to those Vipers upon which the procedure was performed. T think that many of us believe that there is considerable power trapped within both the Gen II and Gen III engine that could be released if it was easy to dyno tune within the existing OEM computer.

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the times. My question is what fuel did the two cars use? ... Also, just so we are all using the same voabulary meaning, could Ranger please define the phrase "still being dialed In". For me, it means that changes to stock settings, whether tune or suspension, have been, and continue to be, made to obtain the best performance. Is this what you mean? If so, the vehicle is not truely stock...

I can't speak for Wanted. My car always runs the same fuel BP premium, which is 93 octane in Maryland.

When I use the phase "not yet dialed-in", I am talking about the driver component. My car is stock. Nothing has been changed. Stock everything. My driving after the 330' mark is dialed-in now, but my launch is still searching for a technique that eludes invocation of Torque Management routines that pull power on strong launches and "protect' the drive train. So my launch is behind my C5Z times by about .10-.15.

I do adjust the tire pressures from the 30 psi stock numbers and often run drag radials, but as shown in my sig, I identify those DR runs separately.

My cars have been scrutinized many times by officials and racers; and my club members know my cars well. No one has ever found me to misrepresent the status of the cars.

Wherever the match race with Wanted occurs, I'd be happy to put mine on a portable dyno right after the passes. Assume Wanted would do the same. Mine would show stock power levels of 450-460 rwhp. And I would assume Wanted's would show normal power for a 2002 RT10 with smooth tubes, filter and the factory-available exhaust he runs. Anyone willing to arrange for the dyno to be there? If so, I'm happy to drop my car's drawers for all to see.

Ranger

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you Ranger. You are obviously a class act with exceptional driving skills. If you do not mind, please explain: "but my launch is still searching for a technique that eludes invocation of Torque Management routines that pull power on strong launches and "protect' the drive train." Are you saying that the traction, or some other kind, of control is on while you are racing or are you referring to some other function? Please explain. Also, as long as you are making a guest appearance over here, do you have any recommendations on how to get better times out of a stock Viper? ( I know. It might help in the upcoming race but my gut says that your skills are so exceptional that you will answer the question anyway.) Thanks.

Bob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth