I RACED W/NEWZ06 SUNDAY, WARNING SRT10 ITS NOT GOOD NEWS

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why don't we start a Ranger fan club?
49 posts, all of which somehow inform us of what a great car and driver package he and his Z06 are.
If he becomes the only member perhaps we could call him the Lone Ranger....

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
49 posts, all of which somehow inform us of what a great car and driver package he and his Z06 are.

As a guest in the Viper house I'll let that pass.

But for the benefit of members and courteous visitors, please summarize your accomplishments with your car. Simple possession doesn't count; nor does number of coats of polish.

Thanks in advance.

Ranger

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ranger...please explain: "but my launch is still searching for a technique that eludes invocation of Torque Management routines that pull power on strong launches and "protect' the drive train." Are you saying that the traction, or some other kind, of control is on while you are racing or are you referring to some other function? Please explain.

Also, as long as you are making a guest appearance over here, do you have any recommendations on how to get better times out of a stock Viper?....Bob

The Z06's LS7 motor has a Engine Control Unit (ECU) that measures reading from sensors throughout the engine, brakes, wheels, and drive train, and processes them thru algorithms that control engine, brake and suspension and other functions.

Chevy experienced significant warranty expenses on the C5Z06 due to breakage under hard launch and wheel hop on strong shifts. With the advent of the LS7, Chevy has attempted to mitigate the warranty exposure by causing the ECU to intervene and retard timing and reduce the throttle position (e.g. reduce power to the wheels) when "certain stressful" circumstances are detected. This invocation is termed "Torque Management." It doesn't help the driver in any way; in fact, iIt costs the driver .10-.15 seconds in the 60'. Instead, it helps Chevy reduce part breakage. Principally rear ends and clutches. And in so doing, save them money.

I notice TM activate on DR launches above 3600 rpm and on stock tire launch above 3100 rpm.

I need to work on a launch technique that involves
(1) a lower launch rpm
(2) higher rear tire pressures, and
(3) a more aggressive throttle squeeze.
This is what I mean about "getting the launch dialed-in."

My theory is that if (1), (2) and (3) can be properly optimized, TM thresholds (whatever they may be and the explicit values are not known) may not be violated and TM may remain dormant. If that can be done, then the 60' should recover by that lost .10-.15.

Many drivers are editing the ECU to remove TM. I could do that too. But that would be a deviation from stock. Not my style.

Regarding advice on the Viper, I can't offer any because I've not driven one. But great advice for the RT10 can certainly be had from Wanted who drove the best passes I've ever seen anyone drive in a near-stock Viper.

Ranger

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you for your answer Ranger. As far as I'm concerned, your input is welcome here anytime. It is refreshing to read posts with the level of real world detail and technical information that you employ. I think that you should become bimuscular and purchase an SRTC coupe. It would be very interesting to see what time that you could wring out of it.

Reaction score
The Viper is more than a ratio of hp to weight, it is a unique ownership experience with performance the foundation of the experience A beautiful sports car that bonds us around the world with the VCA, VOI's and Viper Days.

No car can compare with the Viper experience.

Ranger wants us to know the 06 Z06 is a good production performance car, that he knows how to drive on a Drag Strip. But it is not A Viper which is hand crafted with a show room finish unmatched. If you want to compare the SRT10 Viper to Rag top Vette bring it on all day long the Viper rules road courses and drag strips. The limited edition 5,500/year Z06 vs the SRT10 Viper coupe is a good performance match on a road courses with the faster car determined by the better driver. How will the Z06 take the road course track experience? Will it endure the stress and strain? No matter how you slice it a Z06 Corvette is one of 25,000 to 35,000 Corvetts made per year.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not interpret Ranger's posts as a plug for the 2006 Z Vette. I interpret his posts as stating that, with some focused thought and accurate and disciplined driving techniques, it is possible to get what appear to be improbable results out of a stock vehicle. I find his posts to be refreshingly unemotional and informative. We need more like them among ourselves so that we can start maximizing SRT - 10 performance and show Ranger and others like him a set of stock SRT -10 brake lights! I bet if this happened we could convert them, budgets permitting, to Dodgeism.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I for one actually look on these boards for VIPER information (hence the name VIPER CLUB OF AMERICA) not to see what some guy can wring out of a Vette. I think the whole thread is a waste of good electrons. I'm sure they want to hear it on the Vette boards, please take it there, or maybe you could call each other....

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As a guest in the Viper house I'll let that pass.

But for the benefit of members and courteous visitors, please summarize your accomplishments with your car. Simple possession doesn't count; nor does number of coats of polish.

Shows what you know about Vipers... every coat of Zaino increases HP by 10. :p

And don't get me started on Vipair. :D

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I for one actually look on these boards for VIPER information (hence the name VIPER CLUB OF AMERICA) not to see what some guy can wring out of a Vette. I think the whole thread is a waste of good electrons. I'm sure they want to hear it on the Vette boards, please take it there, or maybe you could call each other....

Don't open the thread if you're not interested in its content. Ranger is providing those of us that ARE interested with real world info on the new Z06 (and being very courteous about it despite replies like the one quoted).

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't open the thread if you're not interested in its content. Ranger is providing those of us that ARE interested with real world info on the new Z06 (and being very courteous about it despite replies like the one quoted).

It's hard for a driver to improve his performance in a car without learning and understanding what factors effect acceleration and traction. I keep my horsepower the same and try to lower my times through refined driver techniques. This approach runs counter to most owners who choose the mod-path to faster times. But it's my path and the driving lessons derived apply generally to many brands of high-performance, manual-tranny, traction-limited cars.

I've learned a lot by reading boards of other brands, digesting the occasional technique post and collating the tidbits with what I already know. Not everyone has the patience or inclination to do that.

When I post times on Corvette boards, I don't just say what I ran. Rather I lay out the conditions (DA and track surface temp), the tire/psi, launch rpm, shift rpm, splits, and often the more telling incremetals between the splits. These details help readers understand the technique deviations between my approach and theirs, possibly leading to an adjustment on their part that may help them run faster.

What I'm trying to do is share techniques that work in the real world and provide links to the documentation to give interested readers a place to go for more detail and the doubter some pause before they pop the [******] flag. This approach doesn't always lead to my getting the benefit of the doubt.

Ranger

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is all great info.
The way I see it you are one of two things.
1) A great asset to the motoring public, in which case you have posted these results on many boards, including other sports car boards like Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, etc; and have had glowing remakes made by their members about your efforts.
Please post the links to these so I can get more informed.

2) You are a troll who comes here to post 50 times about Vettes.

And Tico, I pay the same money you do to be a member here so I will look at any thread I please.

And as a final statement. I actually prefer to read about how to wax a Viper ten times, more than I do about the Vette is doing. This is a Viper site.

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

...The way I see it you are one of two things.

1) A great asset to the motoring public...{or}

2) You are a troll....

And Happy Easter to you, KWIK96. Nice to see such good will and charity in your attitude for the Easter holiday.

I previously asked you to post your accomplishments with your Viper. You have not replied to that request; so I'd suspect your driving skills fail to match your screen name and that you, more than most, would profit by learning more from others about how to improve your driving.

An alternative, of course, is to adopt a screen name that's less pretentious.

Ranger

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why do you have to be a party pooper? With 1900+ views of this thread, it looks like a lot of other people are interested in this thread. Ranger is an integral part of this discussion, since he drives the car that was involved in the race (and upcoming race)! And other people have been asking Ranger questions, so it's not like he's posting for no reason. I think it's great that a top Corvette driver wants to actively participate in races against a top Viper driver. So enjoy the discussion!

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I like this thread because I’m envious of anyone who has enough money to buy a 70k – 80k car and then take it to the track and dog it. I’d like to do that so bad but I don’t have the kind of money necessary to fix it when it breaks.

My greatest Viper accomplishment??? Hey – I drove it to Food Lion today. How’s that?

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like this thread because I’m envious of anyone who has enough money to buy a 70k – 80k car and then take it to the track and dog it. I’d like to do that so bad but I don’t have the kind of money necessary to fix it when it breaks.

My greatest Viper accomplishment??? Hey – I drove it to Food Lion today. How’s that?

I just got back from hauling the week's groceries with a stop at the liquor store and the indian market. So these fast cars make fun daily drivers.

The magic is driving well enough that you never break anything. I now have about 525 passes at a cost of two pair of rear wheels and three pairs of DR. Zero breakage.

Ranger

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just got back from hauling the week's groceries and an stop at the liquor store and the indian market. So these fast cars make fun daily drivers.

The magic is driving well enough that you never break anything. I now have about 525 passes at a cost of two pair of rear wheels and three pairs of DR. Zero breakage.

Ranger

Holy Cow – 525 passes in your life or 525 passes in your Z06??

Anyway – you have money that I don’t have. To make it known on the Internet that you dog the $hit out of your Z06 means it’ll be worthless when you sell it. Knowing it’s been dogged and flogged; most folks will pass. This goes back to my point about some folks having money to burn and some folks not.

Accomplishments in one’s car sometimes have nothing to do with the car. It has more to do with how much money we have and whether or not we’re gonna go out and “use up” the car (in other words – use up our money).

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Holy Cow – 525 passes in your life or 525 passes in your Z06??

Anyway – you have money that I don’t have. To make it known on the Internet that you dog the $hit out of your Z06 means it’ll be worthless when you sell it. Knowing it’s been dogged and flogged; most folks will pass. This goes back to my point about some folks having money to burn and some folks not....

It a total of 525 passes in my current and last two Z06s.

My last Z06, a 2002 with 350 passes and 30K miles sold at a premium because it held the ET record, and had a clean maintenance history, full doucmentation, and a new clutch. Its new owner is delighted. A car that makes it through 350 passes unscathed indicated that anything that could break would have by then.

Ranger

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
...Holy Cow – 525 passes in your life or 525 passes in your Z06??

Anyway – you have money that I don’t have. To make it known on the Internet that you dog the $hit out of your Z06 means it’ll be worthless when you sell it. Knowing it’s been dogged and flogged; most folks will pass. This goes back to my point about some folks having money to burn and some folks not....

It a total of 525 passes in my current and last two Z06s.

My last Z06, a 2002 with 350 passes and 30K miles sold at a premium because it held the ET record, and had a clean maintenance history, full doucmentation, and a new clutch. Its new owner is delighted. A car that makes it through 350 passes unscathed indicated that anything that could break would have by then.

Ranger

Sounds good but when it comes to buying something used, I’ll take a cream-puff, garage-queen over something that’s been flogged.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just got back from hauling the week's groceries and an stop at the liquor store and the indian market. So these fast cars make fun daily drivers.

Ranger

Holy Cow – 525 passes in your life or 525 passes in your Z06??

Anyway – you have money that I don’t have. To make it known on the Internet that you dog the $hit out of your Z06 means it’ll be worthless when you sell it. Knowing it’s been dogged and flogged; most folks will pass. This goes back to my point about some folks having money to burn and some folks not.

Accomplishments in one’s car sometimes have nothing to do with the car. It has more to do with how much money we have and whether or not we’re gonna go out and “use up” the car (in other words – use up our money).

Which points to the fact that Ranger has a vette by choice, not because he couldn't afford the premium on a more premium car. That gets points in my book as do his ability to perfect his techniques. But I still think coming on to a VCA board to gloat is self-indulgent at best. I don't remember him here before the 06 Z06... I wonder why?

Any Viper owner that's interested in knowing what the vette can do, should go to a vette forum.

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
;) Most here... seem to be interested in this thread for the information provided.

Ranger is well respected on all the Corvette/Chevy boards and he is a "Straight Shooter", willing to provide information and technical help freely. He is "NOT BRAGGING" about his Z06 times... which are awesome in a stock Vette.

If you can... "DO IT"... it "AIN'T BRAGGING"... someone once said (Walter Brennan)... years ago.

Viper Days is a " Class Act" and many of us Z06'ers have been attending since 2001. Those who attend Viper Days are car enthusiasts first, and anyone willing to put their car on a road course has my respect. I haven't seen... ANY... Viper vs. Vette attitude from guys that actually... "run their cars". In most cases... it comes down to the "Driver" as to which car is faster.

I enjoy reading a variety of Web Sites and getting different perspectives from their members. I also get a kick out of running with different clubs and meeting people who enjoy this Hobby... be it PCA, BMW, SVT Cobra, Chin, NASA, SCCA, Viper Days (now known as "Performance Driving School) etc. as many of you do. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you again, at Sebring.

Happy Easter... and lets keep it "Friendly" !!!

Cya @ the Track,

Trumper

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can... "DO IT"... it "AIN'T BRAGGING"... someone once said (Walter Brennan)... years ago.

Sure it's bragging... what it really shows is one's insecurities about themselves, and the need for affirmation. Pretty pathetic really.

Assuming if you can "DO IT"... Most of us can walk, but we don't go bragging about it. :rolleyes:

VIPERVNM29

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used to be a Vette owner my self it was even super charged with an ATI pro charger I hang out still with alot of Vette guys even though I purchased a viper I think the Viper stands as a symbol of presidence a status quoe I have a buddy that is putting 805 HP to the rear wheels but when ever we pull in together they all check out my Viper as apposed to his vette cause there are alot of them out there take a look at the Toyota Supra they have tons of guys with 1000 RWHP but they will never live up to the status of a Viper!

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And Happy Easter to you, KWIK96. Nice to see such good will and charity in your attitude for the Easter holiday.

I previously asked you to post your accomplishments with your Viper. You have not replied to that request; so I'd suspect your driving skills fail to match your screen name and that you, more than most, would profit by learning more from others about how to improve your driving.

Ranger
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My accomplishments with my Vipers are 25,000 + miles and never passed by a Vette. Do you see me posting that on a Vette site?

I had previously asked you to post links to all the Porsche, Lambo, etc: sites where you have posted your great skills. I guess there are none. Smells like troll to me.

And my screen name KWIK 96 is the license plate of my 96
The license plate of my 01 is VETT FED

p.s. Have a great Christmas

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ranger
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My accomplishments with my Vipers are 25,000 + miles and never passed by a Vette. Do you see me posting that on a Vette site?

I had previously asked you to post links to all the Porsche, Lambo, etc: sites where you have posted your great skills. I guess there are none. Smells like troll to me.

And my screen name KWIK 96 is the license plate of my 96
The license plate of my 01 is VETT FED

p.s. Have a great Christmas

Typical trash talker who's not representative of the greater Viper community, nor the community of car guys.

Lacking any notable accomplishments with his car, it seems quite pretentious that he should be attacking anyone that has some.

Is there an ignore list feature on this board?

Ranger

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:D Hey Ranger,

The guys that "Track" their cars... appreciate talking to & sharing information and "tips" from one another.

:rolleyes: The keyboard Jockey's aren't interested in track facts.. they just want some....

Cheese with their Whine !!! :smirk:

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The guys that "Track" their cars... appreciate talking to & sharing information and "tips" from one another.

:rolleyes: The keyboard Jockey's aren't interested in track facts.. they just want some....

Yawn... I don't remember all the bragging before the 06 year. hmmm...

I guess you vette guys just started tracking cars this year. :rolleyes:

trumper Z06

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yawn... I don't remember all the bragging before the 06 year. hmmm...

I guess you vette guys just started tracking cars this year. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Ahh... hhmmm... you're a Keyboard Jockey... huh !!!

;) I guess you don't bother looking at posts for Viper Days info here on your own web site...

so... I'll help you out.

Look at the "Viper Days Driving School at Sebring" thread on this site.

You might see my post about attending Sebring with the Big Boys...

again... this year.

:laugh: I've been running/Instructing for Y'all since VIR/Viper Days in 2001 !!!

:rolleyes: Ahh.. wanna tell us what you've been doing for the last five years....

besides Whining !!!