I think I have some issues

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know if its possible to get water in the oil other than a head gasket. Has many of these head gasket blown on the gen III cars? I have a long story but hoping to hear a easy solution First.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ummm... you might want to post your story and details about your car before we can even begin to guess what the problem is? In short, no, it is not normal in the least for Gen-3's to have leakage issues in or out of the engine. They use very good gaskets overall, and have extensive use of O-rings.

Now, if you have an SC or TT car with stock or undertorqued head bolts, or managed to crack through a liner, or have a set of reworked heads that were taken too far, or...........?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
On Gen I & II Vipers, a timing chain cover gasket failure can mix coolant and oil. I ASSUME that could be the case with a Gen III but I have no real knowledge of same. Agree more details might help.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The power steering issue has nothing to do with this, I dont think. Had a leaky pump so I switched it out and then took the car on the Hot Rod power tour.
When the pump was leaking the fluid did get low and cause the fan not to turn on one day and I saw the temp gauge get to about 250 and i shut car off right away.
either way the next day I switched it out and then drove the car 1100 miles without a problem.

Fast forward to now which car sat in garage since Power tour. Took car out and it died out of nowhere, but before car was running great.
Scan tool said po340 so possibly crank sensor, switch that out and nothing. Then swithed Cam sensor. Car still didnt run, but I didnt have fuel at the rail anymore either.
So for a joke I put a gallon of gas in it and then checked pressure. now 12psi and climbing, I couldnt believe it. So anyways I decided to take car to gas station and See how many gallons it would take, but before I did that I put one more gallon in. Then drove to gas station and filled it up. 15.8 gallons so I know the car was not out of gas, but because I had the car on jack stands maybe the pump sucked some air when I tried starting it after I switched the crank sensor.
I leave gas station and the car is really down on power, oh ya and before I left my house I had the car running in drive way for maybe 3-4 minutes and I heard the fan kick on so i looked at gauge and thought that was weird that the car was that hot already!! So leaving the gas station the temp really starts to climb and within 30 seconds is at 260 im about 1 mile away from my house at this point but car is barely running and steam is coming out, so i shut car down and coast onto my development! I get my neighbor to help push:D and here we sit now with low coolant in the overflow and my oil is extra full but with water/oil mix!!! Once car cooled off I saw a oil water spray on drivers side back of valve cover and top of bellhousing and a small puddle of oil in driveway. Not sure what the hell happened or why the car got so hot In the first place. Ive had the car since 05 with 3000 miles, it now has 20,000. (2003).
IF head gaskets went because it was over heated that makes sense, but I have now idea what caused the car to overheat in the first place. Did my break down days before that have anything to do with this?? That I dont know. Heck I still dont know if the crank sensor and cam sensor I switched out needed to be. Maybe be two different issues. So I think I can safely say I think I have a blown head gasket but I cant believe it!!!!! I was hoping there is a logical reason why I have water in oil and not from a head gasket.:( On top of the head gasket there is a problem why the car got so hot in the first place, so I have to track that down also.

Looking to see others opinions on this and also recommended shops in Ohio.

BTW... This *****

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I must of been dreaming last night about the car. I woke up and remembered I had the 7/70 powertrain warranty .:D:D:D Car was titled new in August of 2004. Going to have flat bed pick it up and have the dealer deal with it. Still want to know what happened but im sure ill find out soon enough.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must of been dreaming last night about the car. I woke up and remembered I had the 7/70 powertrain warranty .:D:D:D Car was titled new in August of 2004. Going to have flat bed pick it up and have the dealer deal with it. Still want to know what happened but im sure ill find out soon enough.

That was a pretty handy dream. Hopefully your dealer has a good Viper Tech.

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure how good, He worked on the car 5 years ago. I hope he is on his "A" game and gets the car back to me perfect and quickly. I hate to think I have to leave car there for awhile and hopefully they respect the fact Im a picky bastard!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uhhhh. that lower end and all the bearings are now fu bared i hate to say. coolant eats bearings, get a new motor from them and dont settle for less,cause nothin is good in that 1

OP
OP
U

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
uhhhh. that lower end and all the bearings are now fu bared i hate to say. coolant eats bearings, get a new motor from them and dont settle for less,cause nothin is good in that 1

Well I would think the water will drop to the bottom of the pan and I shut car down fairly quick, what makes you think the bearings rolled around in coolant? Im just wondering. I started thinking maybe the oil cooler went also? Maybe not the head gasket. Im completely guessing here but sure wish I knew exactly *** caused any of this.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the oil cooler went, oil pressure is greater than water pressure, so you'd have oil in the antifreeze...not antifreeze in the oil