I THINK I'm ready for VOI...

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This being my first VOI I had been doing shopping for months, cameras, cards, mounts, caddies, external battery sets...

Well, I'm sick today so I took off from work. Been chatting with Willem and took inventory of what I'm taking with me. Don't freak out at the size of the post really it's not that much. :rolaugh:

BUT I'M READY!

Here goes....

[h=6]My Pentax K-r can shoot 776 photos or 45 minutes of HD video.

For my Rebel XTi, My Sandisk Ultra holds 381 pics,
My Sandisk Ultra II holds 390 pics both are 4 gb.
My Sandisk Ultra II 2 gb holds 193 pics.

I have a external battery pack for the Canon which can last me 48 hours straight plus one extra backup single.
The Pentax K-r has 5 batteries.

WAIT THERE'S MORE

My Canon 500UZ film camera has four, 4 hour batteries that equal total 16 hours and 7 mini DV tapes that equal 6-60 minute tapes and a 70 minute.
LOL

Total I can take:
1,739 photos
AND/OR
475 minutes which is about almost 8 hours of video. :3

I'M READY FOR VOI12! :headbang:

I should probably bring my external hard drive with me. '>.>

--RS

P.S. Williem suggested, 'You should have your own booth at VOI to help people out with camera questions.'

:rolaugh:
[/h]

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am bringing my laptop so feel free to pack that external hard drive because it does look like you're gonna need it :)

Seriously if members could be giving clinics to others at VOI that would take the experience even further and make it even more interesting than it already is. Sharing information here on the forums only goes so far, it's always nicer if you can learn stuff in real life.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow Ron, you got serious equipment. I wouldn't know how to use it. :D
Can I get a high quality shot of the emerald green for the garage? I seriously don't have one yet... I use my cell phone too much. :lmao2:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. You may want more SD cards or back them up and start fresh half way through. VOI 10 was 1500 pics and VOI 11 was 2000 or so pics plus 16 hours of HD video. :D

Now add raw to that. :crazy2:

You dont want to be left short!!!

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I just bought my first gopro.. trying to figure it out now.

7 minute test run used 80% of my memory card so I have
alot of tweaking to do if I want to make it worthwhile...

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For a Go Pro, I would not suggest a memory card under 16GB.....its HD video. It will **** you dry like a Shop Vac in a pool!

Mine runs a 32 GB card and lasts 3 hours ish.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. You may want more SD cards or back them up and start fresh half way through. VOI 10 was 1500 pics and VOI 11 was 2000 or so pics plus 16 hours of HD video. :D

Now add raw to that. :crazy2:

You dont want to be left short!!!

Nah, Don't think I will be. I've shot 1,200 photos in a single day. I'll probably shoot nearly that much the first day on the way to VOI. The second day is dinner and the gala so chances are I won't take nearly as many. The next two days after that will be nuts. I'll be running all over the place.

You get the idea. LOL

But in any case, that's why I'll have my external HD and laptop with me. I know for a fact each night I'm going to uploading the photos to my computer in the hotel room. The last month and a half I shot 1,702 photos. I won't do any video editing till I'm back home.

VOI12 will be the most amount of work I've done at a single event. That's for sure and it hasn't even happened yet. :)

What Canadian-MoparBoy said, get a much larger card. I've never toyed with a go-pro so I'm not sure what they use but if I may suggest I've been using Sandisk cards in all of my camera's for years since I started doing photography. They have awesome quality and speed. Stay away from Transcend. My girlfriends mom bought them for her camera and they just ****. :crazy2:

And the same thing applies to the size of the card. If you know your going to be shooting photos alot, buy cards in a mid-range. I have two 4 gigs so I cycle through them and don't forget that I have photos on them. Remember just like film, data doesn't last forever! It can become corrupt. Always buy cards in pairs, I know they can get expensive but the last thing you want is a broken card and then your stuck with a useless camera for the whole week!

--RS

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...or you can do like the rest of us. When we get back to our rooms, we cull out all the less important snaps, and make some room for the next day's photos : >)

Edit as you go.

Something about hundreds and hundreds of Vipers all together that brings out the cameras.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, wouldn't run under 32.... 64 here.

My only concern with 64s is there is so much event covered if the card had a failure everything would be on it! :(

Likely wont stop me from eventually going that route but......

How long do you get out of the 64?

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I definitely recommend multiple cards. Even though you can get a lot of video on 64GB and a lot of photos on 16/32 GB, use multiple cards in the 8GB range. In wedding photography, you learn quickly that having all the photos on one 16/32GB card is going to be bad if the card fails. It's hard to redo a wedding. While it still won't be fun if a card fails, having all the photos spread over 3 or 4 cards at least limits your loss.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely recommend multiple cards. Even though you can get a lot of video on 64GB and a lot of photos on 16/32 GB, use multiple cards in the 8GB range. In wedding photography, you learn quickly that having all the photos on one 16/32GB card is going to be bad if the card fails. It's hard to redo a wedding. While it still won't be fun if a card fails, having all the photos spread over 3 or 4 cards at least limits your loss.

Man, Mark you are BRAVE! I just did a Wedding for the first time not to long ago.

:crazy2:

I'm sticking to cars.

--RS

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been my day today, recharging stuff and check all functionalities, cursing at my laptop for not fully wanting to recharge and make the CB radio that's visible work in VYPR BYT 94's Viper which was an easy and succesful job :headbang:

You must be registered for see images attach