Idle does not drop when slowing down

Mark Red GTS Cooper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one else has experienced this. THe idle does not drop very fast, it seems to hover around the 1k, then it drops to the 500 range.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 does the same thing....I was wondering if there was something wrong with it...

Ray R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anti miss sensor? Sounds like a double negative.
My '00 GTS (red....good choice!)does the same thing. It's normal. And you're right, it's an emmisions thing. My ZR1 does it as well.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about a '2-stage' return to idle,(normal) not a constant high-idle, which would be a fault to be corrected.

The Year Matters.....kind of.

The Idle Speed motor (programable) offers a range of about 20-25 'steps' to achieve idle. When a Gen-II car lifts full-off, the idle drops in two pre-set steps, with a very annoying delay of about 2.5sec between these two steps.

The reason is to improve emissions, and cat life, and to eliminate burbling and backfiring, (that some folks actually whined about!) that occurs if you could lift off fully.

I especially find the 2-step idle a problem on track......when I want FULL LIFT NOW and not again a bit later ! When driving on track at limits, and the car lifts again , it upsets my already mediocre balance and the rear gets light!

[ I wonder if Dan Cragin, HMS, and ***** can program that OUT when re-programming the ECU for fans, skip shift, etc.? That would inspire a few more ECU sales! Lets talk!]

JonB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine