I'm gonna puke:(

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you are right, I don't know much about cars. I love the viper and I figured I would learn about the car as I go. But thanks for being an ass. I have learned a lot since owning the vehicle as I didn't even know what valve covers were when I first got the car. At least I have learned to change the battery on this car and helped with putting the locktite on the crank bolt. And yes..I have much to still learn. Not everyone who buys cars knows a lot about them but I am sure I know some topics that you have no clue about. Some people just have different crafts and things they are good at.

To the other's thanks for the continued input. I will evaluate my best options and go from there. I am going to either send the engine off to New York to have Dan work on it or just have it sit in my garage for awhile. Not sure if I should just "fix the problem" or actually pony up a little extra to add some power being that the engine will be out and worked on. Not sure what my goal should be, what my price ceiling is, etc. I am open to suggestions!

I'm the same way. I could fix minor problems, change small parts but I'll be first to admit that if something liek that happened to me I'd panic too. I dont have the coin to be spending 17k on a car just to get it working properly.

I did however weigh my options when I bought my viper... realistically they're very simple cars compared to what's out there today.. I hope someone is able to help you.. but posts like yours always scare me.. my first instinct would be to sell it.. good luck.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm cool. Back from the gym. Feel better. No sign of the cat...yet. But I do think its time to throw a few back...Yeah...Someone from the clan should be able to swing by and help you out. Its time like this that you'll find a unique kinship amougst the members. No one like to see someone getting screwed (in this context at least). We do work hard & play hard and ownership of one of these is somewhat symbolic of that attitude.

I agree.. never have I been to a forum where fellow members like to help out one another.. nothing like the camaro/mustang forums for me back in the day.. these guys are cut from a different fabric

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am definitely going to go to the dealership and have it towed back to my garage until I figure out the plan. I really need to think about what I want to accomplish. I spoke with Will at RSI and he spoke about a possible engine rebuild with a basic package. The engine would be rebuilt with a 2 year warranty. I could spend about 6K and not only get the crank bearings and seals replaced, but also forge the motor with some adjustments. Would this be a good idea for resale and credibility as far as having a good detailed and current history of the car and the improvements made to the motor? Another option is to just cut my losses, take pictures of everything and likely sell "as is" with a probable huge hit to it's value. The only benefit would be instant money and no out of pocket expense. I am recently divorced and back to square one in life...and money. Or do I just do the basic necessities to get the car running which would probably be around 3K from what I have been researching and discussing with fellow members? I think those are my 3 options. Part of me thinks that I should take this opportunity and upgrade this motor. Even though I would be adding debt to my situation, I would mainly have a fresh and improved motor in my viper with only 25,000 miles on the body. Or is that bad logic? Again, thanks for the input. I really wish I grew up around a wrench right now! I am clueless but fortunately some great people have spoken with me on the phone so I am feeling hopeful about my situation. I really need to make the best and informed decision and I will need the viper community to help make that as, already appropriately pointed out, I don't know much at all about fixing cars.

Dave

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude....I feel for you. When I just bought my viper something went wrong (a lot more minor) but I felt lik crap. All I can say is don't get the dealership to do it and screw you over. Going forged vs non forged it up to you (forged is always good for s/c and tt, so it depends what route you wannt to go in the future. Anyways, best of luck man!

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2 cents is to do the math - If you plan on keeping the car, the added expense isn't beyond your means, and felt that the car was underpowered, do it. On the other hand, it sounds like you'd love to have it back to where it was the day before this happened and that's certainly a more economical solution. Engine build ups are like building a house... just one more upgrade... Next thing you know you've got another 5K into it.

If resale is a concern, swapping engines isn't going to help you, nor will you get back what you put into the engine mods. IMO your best bet is to take pix, get advice, spend what it takes to make it as it was.

Iceman1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Terminator just one more thing to give you motivation Bro , Just a guess but your EX-wife probably cant stand you having that blankety blank car !!! Rons probably right just fix it the cheapest and correct route possible . And one other thing once its fixed go find a girlfriend that is the exact opposite of your EX it will piss her off more than you and your crank problem ! It all doesnt have to happen tomorrow take it home regroup have a beer and relax ! And one other thing tell your ex you know a great dealer to have her car fixed at ! :headbang:

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dealership is the last place to take a car with a problem like that. Their only solution is -well you already found out. Dealerships are for buying cars, and warranty work only. If you you need something fixed, you need to find a reputable independant shop. Talk to the local Viper guys in your area and see who they would recommend. Fix the car, and enjoy it again. ***** that you're having a problem with the car, but overall these cars are usually pretty trouble free, still sometimes stuff breaks. It has been a long time ago, but I remember once having to Heli-Coil a big block Ford crank for the same problem. Wasn't easy, but worked out well and saved the crankshaft from being scrapped. Maybe that'll work in your case. -Allan

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What dealership, and where in MI are you located?

Your recently divorced, keep the damn car! Build the motor if you MUST pull it.

First and foremost let people know where your located. There are some mechanics here on the west side of MI that will take care of you at a fair price.

Tim

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah, if you are recently divorced, you need to get the Viper going. .........When I bought mine, the sales guy said "It's a shame to waste that on a married guy" . As a single guy with a Viper, maybe you could let me know what he was referring to. :omg:

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wait man, I'm still not understanding this, or I'm missing a big piece to the picture. Are you saying that the only thing wrong is the bolt is either broke and still stuck in the crank, or the threads of the crank are stripped? In either case, you would not need a new crank. You could have a real shop bore out the bolt/hole with an angle drill, then retap or Heli-Coil. I still don't see why you're jumping to the idea that your crank is toast based on what the dealer said. Where in Michigan are you? You have access to some of the best people who designed your car right in your neighborhood. What screwed up dealer did you take it to? And why the frak are you so quick to write off your car to even consider it a loss and sell it as-is? It's just a crank bolt thread, could be fixed for a couple hundred bucks in the right hands. I doubt that your forged crank walked or scored the bearings if you were able to drive it to the dealer.

FYI: Not to make you feel bad, but you just missed the Woodward event today where actual Viper engineers who designed the engine were present, and could have helped.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea of just dropping a forged '96-'99 motor in if indeed the crank is shot. I'd like to see some pics of the carnage or shoot a quick video and drop it on youtube. Like has been said, lots of options to repair short of a rebuild.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are also in your area and have serious Viper engine experience ...

Arrow for $1,500.....absolutely. FWIW, I had a crank machined from a billet....perhaps THE most expensive way to produce a crank......and it was $6,500 (had no choice, it was a GTS-R small-main-journal crank that broke)

As you know by now, that dealership is a stealership.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am located in Metro Detroit. I took the vehicle to Suburban Dodge on Telegraph and 12 mile. It appears that the threads are messed up on the crank. You all are probably right in that the crank is not toast. It's just a matter that dodge is saying that they will not be able to do anything as the bolt won't reattach to the crank. At this point, I think I will arrange to have the car towed from the stealership tomorrow back to Birmingham where I am currently staying. If anyone is in the Metro Detroit area and want to take a look at the vehicle on telegraph and 12 maybe you would be able to see what is wrong or what specifically needs to be fixed. When I tow the car back home I can give people my address and phone number. Thanks everyone.

I also wasn't aware about the viper engineers being out; too bad that slipped my mind. I am just so bummed about my car I avoided Woodward at all costs to not see all the cars out looking clean and missing out on the action. Maybe this won't be a really expensive fix, but as others said, I have to find someone reputable and reasonable to just fix the problem that exists.

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would take some pictures like suggested and post them. sounds like your expecting worst case scenerio. don't feel bad i do the same.

Tom86ZT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just FYI, On my last build (a built Infiniti G35 coupe twin turbo) had the crank bolt "walk" out due to the stock balancer breaking apart. Bolt wondered around a touch and messed up the threads. We re-tapped the hole and put a bigger crank bolt from another motor (don't remember off top of my head which).....after that the motor heald up fine to 650rwhp on pump and 800+rwhp on 110 leaded (and thats just a 3.5L V6 with pea-shooter twin 60mm turbos).

There are always other alternatives.

Tom

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to have to move this car either to my house and sit on it until I get the best solution or send it to a really good place that has viper experience in the Metro Detroit Area. Does anyone have any suggestions? If the crank simply needs to be worked on due to thread issues and there are mechanics out there that know what to do and to use a different bolt to get her running that would seem very cost effective. obviously I would need someone willing to just do honest work as I am the "noob" that can't use a wrench well...yet. I can't post in the Michigan section but maybe some other members can invite them to this thread or any michigan/metro Detroiters can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the support. Fortunately I don't feel like I am going to puke...just a bit naucious now:crazy2:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
terminator02...consider dropping a call to me for a couple of suggestions. ... ... ....

Last edited:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any good machine shop should be able to re-tap that crank. Not sure if it can be done in the car, but you shouldn't need a new crank. But if you do want a forged 96-99 motor, feel free to PM me..................:D

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am definitely going to go to the dealership and have it towed back to my garage until I figure out the plan. I really need to think about what I want to accomplish. I spoke with Will at RSI and he spoke about a possible engine rebuild with a basic package. The engine would be rebuilt with a 2 year warranty. I could spend about 6K and not only get the crank bearings and seals replaced, but also forge the motor with some adjustments. Would this be a good idea for resale and credibility as far as having a good detailed and current history of the car and the improvements made to the motor? Another option is to just cut my losses, take pictures of everything and likely sell "as is" with a probable huge hit to it's value. The only benefit would be instant money and no out of pocket expense. I am recently divorced and back to square one in life...and money. Or do I just do the basic necessities to get the car running which would probably be around 3K from what I have been researching and discussing with fellow members? I think those are my 3 options. Part of me thinks that I should take this opportunity and upgrade this motor. Even though I would be adding debt to my situation, I would mainly have a fresh and improved motor in my viper with only 25,000 miles on the body. Or is that bad logic? Again, thanks for the input. I really wish I grew up around a wrench right now! I am clueless but fortunately some great people have spoken with me on the phone so I am feeling hopeful about my situation. I really need to make the best and informed decision and I will need the viper community to help make that as, already appropriately pointed out, I don't know much at all about fixing cars.

Dave

Your best best is to have will fix it up. He's prices are unbeatable. That's what I would do if I were you.

But if you want to sell it engine-less. Let me know, we can see if we can work something out. Just PM me your info.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you I would send it to Will @ RSI. His prices are unbeatable.

But if you want to sell the whole car engine-less let me know....I have been looking for a clean GTS to build.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were you I would send it to Will @ RSI. His prices are unbeatable.

But if you want to sell the whole car engine-less let me know....I have been looking for a clean GTS to build.

LOL....So what do you think he's going to do with a Viper engine sitting in the parking spot where his car used to be??? I think you mean you'll take the entire car WITH the broke engine still installed...if the price is right.

Viper Grenade

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL....So what do you think he's going to do with a Viper engine sitting in the parking spot where his car used to be??? I think you mean you'll take the entire car WITH the broke engine still installed...if the price is right.

Could go that route as well. He can always keep the motor and sell what's left of it. It is a Busted cream puff so it's not worth much.

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why don't you get rid of the F'ing cat so you can't be a d*** any more!!!!!!!!!!!

triplexotica

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Take it to TATOR's! If you're anywhere between TX & NY I can drop it off @ Tator's for the price of diesel.

I'm headed up that way with an empty rig.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang