Important Virus Alert

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I also have received an e-mail from " larry_keck " today....and this DOES NOT ring a bell as someone that I know...so, I am NOT opening this mail. I see that his name came up in this thread earlier.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a HUGE virus - certainly not originated here. I was beginning to feel left out as until a few minutes ago I had not received an "bad" emails - well gotthe first one...

Name does not sound familiar - but Gary - if you are reading this here - you have a problem - get thee to a source for AntiVirus software NOW....

(mine was already updated to detect this nasty worm...)

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing I don't understand is that I have apparently sent emails via this virus to many folks on this board and they ARE NOT in my address book. One was sent to Jay H and I don't recall emailing him for the last few months if even that long. I just don't get it. Makes me kinda mad though. I wish these low lifes would get a life and stop making these idiotic virus'.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a pretty sneaky virus, after reading all the reports, here is the part that answers your question:

Some notes about the virus...
...It copies itself into your Windows system directory as [email protected].
...It also creates an entry in the Windows system registry.
...It includes it's own email program, so it will send the emails out to others without your seeing evidence of it in your email program.
...Some of the files it sends out may end up with double extensions.
...It takes email addresses both from your address book and from your temporary Internet files folder, so a lot of websites like TruthOrFiction.com are receiving the emails as well. TruthOrFiction.com has received hundreds of infected files in just a matter of hours, but our virus protection software has caught them all.

Jay

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jay,

Thanks for the clarification. I ran McAfee Virus scan and it cleansed the computer but could not delete one infected file. Wsock32.dll. I have to delete it out in DOS and then reinstall a new one. There was a better cure but I did not see it until I had already run McAfee. That's what I get for not being a procrastinator. hahaha

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shortly after my earlier post I began losing files and data. At first screens and programs didn't look/run the same. Soon my entire hard drive was gone and I was left with a C prompt. I've spent the last two days getting everything re-installed and I'm still not there. Luckly this box did not have any critical info. I noticed that the virus emailed my documents to MANY, MANY people I don't know and don't have addresses for, very strange.

The email I opened came forwarded from someone I did know, so be very careful. This has cost me many hours of work and irritation.
crying.gif
pissed.gif
cool.gif

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have gotten this email from many different people that I have never emailed to. You've got to love computer geeks with nothing better to do than create these things.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before I read these posts, I opened the mail from "Larry Keck". i often get strange things on e-mail from the TV and Radio stations...but this was the first time I opened one from someone I did not know. Anyhow, I ran the software from the above mentioned site, and it did not find the problem on my computer. I guess I dodged the bullet this time. Today, I received it again from "Larry Keck" and I don;t even know who that is.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You realize how many people email you stuff and have you in their address book when a virus like this pops up. I got my first one last week.... I am now up to 25 a day, yes, 25 a day!

Last night after checking my email at 10 PM..... I checked it an hour later and had 18 new messages, 12 of themm were that darn virus. I updated my Norton the day I got the first one, but it was not on their radar yet, at least it is not flagging the Virus yet...

Here is Norton's info:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

I sent it to them via email after spending nearly a half hour trying to figure out how to get it to them through the antivirus program, it was really frustrating as their program is not set up to send them a file before thay are recognized as a virus by their own software and quarantined.... at least not that I could see. Looking at Norton's site I was one of the lucky ones to get it mailed to me the first day it was discovered, what an honor
smile.gif

These type of Viruses are why I do not use Outlook as my primary mail program... so many viruses are written to attack MS Outlook it is pathetic. Wait 'till ".net" is fully implented integrating your personal information, all of MS Office, and the web..... hang on for a fun ride provided by the hackers of the world!

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm no expert on these things, but it looks to me like the virus is looking through the cached web pages in people's "temporary internet files" folder. In the case of web pages like our UBBs pages, each post has a link to send the poster Email. The virus can find and use these links.

So anyone who has used this board and looked at a post you made will have a link to send you Email in "temporary internet files". This is why we are all receiving Emails from people we do not know.

Hope this helps explain things...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I've gotten many of the e-mail with "I send you this file in order to have your advice" with an attachment. Even got one in Spanish.

not to give names, but what's really surprising is how many e-mails I've gotten from people on this board or someone who asked me a question months ago and they don't even know they're sending it out-----so check out the link below and don't open that attachment.
http://www.computerproblems.com/answer.cfm?AnswerID=27588&QuestionID=27651&CatID=41
http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum14/HTML/005133.html#3

John ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dion is right that the board posters are being targeted.
Spoke with Viper Wizard this AM and we both got emails from Allison O'Toole psu.edu 2x each.
This is why if I don't know you or expect it I delete it.
Watch out for tonight @ 7PM EST with the RED WORM from China.
Go to cnet.com for information.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Allison O' Toole is continuing to show up a bunch in my e-mails again. I had received a bunch at first when this all started, but it had been gone until yesterday. Hope this blitz ends soon.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok this is getting weird.You guys said that you got the e-mail.Well I didn't get it but I'm keeping and I out.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today I have recieved another 30 e-mails from Larry Keck! I responded to two of them basically telling him what was going on. And as I type..I got another!

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just the skinny...

If you run any form of a 9X or ME desktop, you wont be affected. This virus from what little I've gathered on it only affects NT and 2000 machines.

JGK95
MCSE, MCP+I, CCA, CCNA, and soon to be a FVO (Future Viper Owner
tongue.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte