Importing a Viper into the US (manufactured for Canada)

PC Load Letter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone has imported a Gen 2 Viper manufactured for Canada INTO the US please PM me. I’m interested in buying one and driving it to the US myself w/o a broker. The door tag doesn’t have the DOT certification though (FMVSS); it only has the Canadian approval (CMVSS). I’m not currently able to reach the Chrysler customer service line to confirm the import status so I wanted to see if anyone has already gone through the process and if there were any modifications (ie seatbelts) needed to comply with FMVSS. How long did it take to get the letter from Chrysler stating the vehicle conforms to FMVSS? Was there a fee for the letter? Again, bringing a Canadian car into the US…thanks.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
What year is it? Gen 2 would be getting borderline to the 25 year rule that would likely make things a lot easier (emissions exemptions and maybe even some safety stuff, but not 100% sure on that one). Typically Canadian and US regulations are pretty close though, so would think it shouldn't be that hard. The place I work designs trucks that are sold in both the US and Canada and typically the biggest thing we have to deal with is just emissions certifications, though passenger cars are different than industrial vehicles. That said it would still make sense for Dodge to keep them as common as possible to reduce manufacturing costs.

OP
OP
P

PC Load Letter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2002 - so not 25 years yet. I already passed on the car due to not being able to confirm the requirements and not willing to incur unknown import fees to the US.

Monopoly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only difference between a US and Canadian Viper is gauges and the DRL (daytime running lights) module. Mine did the opposite US to Canada and it had to get the DRL module installed.

Assuming your seller wasn't from a dealer as they provide all the paperwork for crossing the border. The seller has to visit the Ministry of Transportation and tell them its going to the US and give you the proper paperwork and away you go. Im sure theres fees at the Border that part im unsure about. US to CAN is $300. (but that was years ago im sure its more now.)

nautoncall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently bought a Gen4 Canadian car from a dealer. They have someone they send the cars to for "conversion". I am still waiting on the US title and they swapped the KPH instrument cluster out of which I wish it was left just so it was the original. It still has the daytime running fog lights and it has some weird antitheft Canada thing tool It's all in the supplemental manual. Don't know if this helps but a dealer such as this may can help you for a fee of course.

JDoucette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nautoncall, do you still have the KPH instrument cluster and are you willing to part with it? I am a Canadian, and while seeing 220 mph on the dash is very cool, seeing 330 kph is much more impactful to me. :) It would be nice if I could just easily and cheaply swap out the speedo facade, but I have a feeling swapping the whole cluster out is likely what I'd have to do. :(