In light of the 2003 would I be foolish to buy a 98-00??

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am working with a couple dealers regarding getting a 98-00 GTS. I'm not sure when the 2003 comes out, but if I buy a 98-00 now , am I gonna see the value go South in a few months??Thanks, PS If you would like a 95 Green (41k miles)--perfect with upgrades . e-mail me. (I know put it in Classifieds!!!)

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
With the dramatic change in styling of the 2003, I would imagine whatever "downward turn" might have been expected when a new model appears, might be balanced out by the fact that many find the original styling more appealing. My guess would be a slight dip first year as there will be many lucky VCA members that will hopefully get first shot at a 2003, and would obviously need to sell their existing Snake, but after that.... my guess? Similar depreciation (slight) as has been in the past.

...remember.... no coupes for a while ... so they might "hold value" a bit better.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way wait. I'd get the '98 or anything other than the '03. I just don't like the body changes. It might grow on me after a while, but I wouldn't wait. I know the power is tempting, but I would like to see after the first 1-2 production years if they change the body style again.
I'll stick with my '00 any day.
Andrew

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Joe and Andrew. While the performance numbers of the 2003 are predicted to be better than the current model's, the styling -- in the opinion of many -- is just not as distinctive. You're driving around today in a vehicle whose styling dates back 10 years, and still people see you and say "Wow! A Viper!" I don't think the 2003 will generate that kind of reaction ten years later. (Maybe "Oh, look! There's an old S2000!")

A thread on this board quietly came and died concerning the fact that, at this time, there are no definite plans at DC for a next generation coupe or a racing program. A pessimistic Viper fanatic could certainly not be faulted for interpreting that as an indicator of impending doom. Considering the current trend in higher gas prices, Congress considering higher CAFE standards for all vehicles (not just cars), and increased emissions standards, not to mention the downturn in sales and profits at DC and the German non-Car Guy management team, speculation that there will ever be a Gen III coupe could be seen as overly optimistic. If there is ever a mindset shift in the public perception that gas hungry vehicles -- be they SUV's, trucks or big-engined sports cars -- are not fashionable and not politically correct, the death of the Viper and its bretheren will come quickly.

Climbing down off my soapbox, what I was trying to say is that the current GTS may be the only coupe in Viper production history, so I wouldn't wait. Get a piece of history now. Also, there's a good possibility that you might not be one of the lucky ones to have the chance to buy a 2003 (or that you're unwilling to pay a premium to get that chance). So we're talking about the 2004 model year, which is over two years away. Do you really want to wait that long to "upgrade" your Viper ride? And if it's a coupe you really want, the earliest we could see one would probably be model year 2005 or 2006.

There's a lot we don't know yet about the next generation Viper. Yeah, 500/500/500. But how much better will that car actually perform than the current Viper, much less the slightly modified Vipers driving around with 500 RWHP? It's not like the Gen III is 500-600 pounds lighter. The Viper gained its reputation and image from clearly outperforming all its competition. But the competition is getting stronger. In 2004 will the Viper still overwhelm the others performance-wise? Based on recent rumors hinted at on this board and elsewhere, the Viper is going to need well over 550 HP to outperform the competition as clearly as it does now. While Team Viper may be committed to making sure that the Viper remains a solid "King of the Hill," I'm not convinced that DC management shares that conviction.

So I would not wait. (In fact, I didn't wait -- for these and other reasons, I sold my 97 GTS and bought a 2001 GTS.) If the current GTS's resale value dips or goes into the crapper when the 2003 becomes available, the value of your Gen I RT/10 will probably be similarly affected. If you want to match the performance of the stock 2003, the aftermarket can do it for you. You won't have the latest and greatest Viper, but you'll still have a car that, from the masses, generates that "Wow! A Viper!" response we all have grown to love.

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TMB,

My $.02: I'm actively looking to purchase an 01 rt/10. I've given the 03 vs. current car vs. market value a lot of consideration. My conclusion is I like the "original" viper's looks much better than the 03. The fact that the 03 is a full top down car may way more heavily on the original rt but I don't care. IMO, it doesn't hold a candle looks wise. I totally agree with some of the other comments re: the future of DC. I'd have to say that given the current conditions (economic, gas, DC profits, etc.) the viper's long term viability (production) will be an uphill fight.

I look at it this way: The viper is a very low production car. Yes there are many available for sale now, but... as time goes on and more and more cars are wrecked, raced, modified beyond recognition, etc. there will be fewer and fewer of them. Some of the older cars resale values aren't bad at all given "their" original purchase prices. If the viper does continue production, I would be willing to bet that the price will keep climbing. That will help keep the price of olders cars up.

Time will tell. For me, the current viper will do just fine.

Bob

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Terry.......styling issues aside......

If you sell your 95, you may WISH you owned a 98-99 etc in case the "Viper Owner Preference / VCA Member Preference" becomes more than just a rumor, conveying priviliges when ordering an '03.........

Besides, You'll MISS it ! You need to outrun your bud's Prowler !

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go with a 2001 so you get the new abs...
they are great!!!!
i love mine and have no regrets .. just wish that they werent
making a 2002 yellow r/t... hopefully those #'s will be low...

i hate the new 2003 bodystyle.. i think they screwed up the car i love.. so that is why i jumped at the yellow RT!!
and some people will love the new 2003 and some will hate it..
personal choice.. but don't buy earlier than a 2001... why miss out on abs??