Inlet air temps thru the NACA duct.

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever measureed the inlet air temp thru here? My viper tech did a rain baffle delete and covered the hole with metal sheeting. Since the airbox is right above the radiator where the metal was installed, it seems to super heat the inlet air. At Idle on a 60 degree evening I put a thermometer in the NACA duct and the air temp was over 140 degrees. I am not sure how having the car move at speed affects this, but it still seems awfully hot to a point of taking out power. As i remember every 10 degrees of ccoler air means 1 percent more hp. So 80 degrees would be 8 percent of 600 hp = 48 hp.

I am thinking of putting up a thermo insultion on the bottom of the airbox. Any thoughts on this?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm.I use the OBDII software with a laptop and I saw that the value for the intake air is rather high (HOT!)....engine compartment heats up everything around, the intake air too...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way to temporarily duct all the A/C air to the intake box? OR would this be a waste of time due to the compressor eating the HP gained by the cooler intake air?

BruceW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I monitor the intake air temp. (from the sensor in the air box, I have smooth tubes and K&N's). It typically runs about 10 deg. higher than the outside air at highway speeds but can easily go 50 deg. or more when the car is standing and idling.