Innovate LM-1 wideband O2 sensor w/datalogging

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Innovate today(Kevin) and others with various cars who have used the LM-1. Even a shop in OHIO that uses it with their dyno and he said it is dead on all day long. Everyone seems to be pleased with it and for the money it is hard to beat.

The AEM is a nice looking unit and I am still considering it, but to log data with it doesn't one need the $2600 unit? The datalogging feature of the LM-1 is real nice and can really help those with VEC2's and so on. All of that for around $450 with RPM cable.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one glaring weakness I see with the unit is the fact that it can only monitor one O2 sensor. Monitoring cars with dual exhaust will require two units. Case in point all gen 1's.

How else would you monitor each bank for A/F?

Oh, sure you can do a run, switch the unit to the other bank and do another run. Somewhat of a pain although not impossible, easier if you have two O2 sensors already wired. However, (here is the gottcha)there is a BIG warning in the instruction manual that you can't leave the sensor in the exhaust without having it wired to the LM-1. This means you'll have to install the O2 sensor in a HOT exhaust if you want back to back runs. Not fun.

On the plus side is that if you do monitor with two units (supposedly) you can import all readings and compare each bank by matching up the RPM.

Personally, I think creating the need for two units is a fantastic sales tool.

My question to everyone is: If you have a car with dual exhaust and someone tells you that your A/F is xx.x then how can you be sure that every cylinder is producing the correct mixture?

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The datalogging feature of the LM-1 is real nice and can really help those with VEC2's and so on. All of that for around $450 with RPM cable.

The datalogging for the VEC2 is supposed to be coming soon, although I hope the intercooler comes first. :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of insights. The VEC2 logging will be helpful, however, the viper doesn't use wideband O2 transducers. On the other hand you will be able to extract a lot of usable and helpful data. Sean might want to comment on what accuracy the viper's O2 transducers provide.

As far as not having two O2 sensors with the Innovate, that is no different than when you dyno. I have installed the Innovate O2 well on the passenger side since, my dyno shop inserts their O2 in the drivers side. When you dyno you can use the Innovate to monitor the second side. In addition, I installed the Innovate O2 well in a position so that the transducer can be changed from side to side.

Another hint on the rpm module. For some reason the clamp-on transducer for rpm pickup will not work on my car. I would recommend saving the money and order the auxiliary terminal block without the rpm transducer and merely pick-up one of the coil pack drivers and bring it to the aux input block. I am also bringing a fuel pressure input to he aux block.

For reference all the new Autometer gauges have 0-4.5 volt output for logging purposes, any of their gauges can now provide a logging output that can be brought to the Innovate logger.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does Autometer make a knock sensor with the 0-5 volt output to log with the LM1?

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another hint on the rpm module. For some reason the clamp-on transducer for rpm pickup will not work on my car. I would recommend saving the money and order the auxiliary terminal block without the rpm transducer and merely pick-up one of the coil pack drivers and bring it to the aux input block. I am also bringing a fuel pressure input to he aux block.
Jack B,
Could you explain a little better about the rpm pickup and what I should buy? How do you hard wire the rpm piece and what wire do you connect it to? I'm thinking about purchasing the LM1 and would like to hook it up to the rpm and knock sensing.

Thank you,
Lou

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, I also gave them a call and asked about your above statement. Do you mean to get the $99 cable and hook it to the coil pack and that in turn hooks to the module?

Or are you saying there is someway else to pick up the rpm data?

John

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, I sent you an email earlier tonite to see how the logging was going with the Techedge. Looks like you are still playing with it.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JDawg:

correct, you just need the auxiliary input cable. It is actually a terminal block that accepts the additional 0-5 volt inputs and sends them back to the logger via a din cable. I'm not sure which will work better, however, either a coil pack driver or tach output should give us the signal we want. I plan on connecting a coil pack driver this week.

V

vegasviper

How would the Vec1 one A/F compare to these units, is it not accurate enough

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the LM-1 and it was exactly the same as my FJO was in readings. I can warn though that if you take the readings from the tailpipe it isn't accurate with cats on the car.

One big advantage of the LM-1 is that it can be calibrated to the speific ambient conditions with the push of a button.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered one as well and should be here Wednesday.

1 question - where do most pick up a rpm signal from? I got the rpm cable and was wondering where most get their signal from.

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 methods.....it can be configured with the input on the box using the tach output wire if you dont want to spring for the inductive cable....give them a call in Cali.....nice people and they will go into detail

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 methods.....it can be configured with the input on the box using the tach output wire if you dont want to spring for the inductive cable....give them a call in Cali.....nice people and they will go into detail

What would be the output voltage range on the PCM output to the tachometer. I'm assuming that's the tach output you're referring to. My service manual does not specify a range.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doug Levin has 0-5 volt output stuff for them. Knock sensor and other things but I don't remember?

-Lou

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the LM-1 canm be configured for many different tach settings with varying voltages...2-12 cylinders....give them a call and you will get exact info and a deal

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the camshaft position sensor signal for my RPM because it was in the same harness (C3 at the PCM) as the other 4 wires I wanted to tap into. I soldered a 6 pin connector at the harness so it can be easily plugged in.
I log air intake temp, coolant temp, RPM, throttle position and MAP along with A/F.

Bob

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SpinMonster - are you saying I did not need their RPM cable to pick up the signal? I am confused by this tech stuff.

SpinMonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can get a signal without the rpm cable yes but it is easier the way you did it

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the camshaft position sensor signal for my RPM because it was in the same harness (C3 at the PCM) as the other 4 wires I wanted to tap into. I soldered a 6 pin connector at the harness so it can be easily plugged in.
I log air intake temp, coolant temp, RPM, throttle position and MAP along with A/F.

Bob

Hey Bob, question about your use of the cam shaft position sensor signal for RPM input to the LM-1. I'm trying to use the same and my RPM is comming in exactly twice what it should be. I tried programming the RPM-converter to 2 pulses per rotation but same results. I called innovate and all they had to say was use the tach signal. I was whole lot less than pleased with the guys technical expertise.

Any words of wisdom?

Also, on a similar note which ground are you using out of the PCM? Signal ground or Power ground?

Art

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Byte

I don't understand, what is so hard about picking up the tach signal. Grab it off of the PCM. I have the LM1 and the tach drives the logger just fine.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad Byte

I don't understand, what is so hard about picking up the tach signal. Grab it off of the PCM. I have the LM1 and the tach drives the logger just fine.

Picking up the tach signal is not difficult at all. The problem is the rpm does not indicate correctly. I calibrate the LM-1 with the audio signal from my laptop per the instructions. When I connect the tach signal the RPM is no where near accurate. For instance at idle my tach shows appx 600 rpm while the LM-1 is showing closer to 1700 rpm and it goes up somewhat logrythmicaly from there. Say I'm running at 2000 rpm the LM-1 is closer to 4500.

I have finally found a combination that is very close to correct by using the cam sensor and setting the pulses per cam rotation to 4. I may experiment with other pick ups (crank, or injector driver) but for now the cam seems to provide what I'm looking for.

PS: All Klaus and Philipe at innovate could say is "All cars are different, what works for one may not work for another". In short they were fairly useless, although they were polite and did return my calls. For that I guess I should be appreciative, and I am.

Bob D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art
I haven't found the right combination yet. I'm off about 12%, actual 5000 rpm reads 4400. I'll be using the LM-1 on a SRT 10 Ram today. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference.
I can't remember what ground I used. It is written down on my notes somewhere. When I find them I'll let you know.
Do you have number of cylinders set to 5 ?
Sorry I can't help more. It's been a while since I set mine up.

Bob

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art
I haven't found the right combination yet. I'm off about 12%, actual 5000 rpm reads 4400. I'll be using the LM-1 on a SRT 10 Ram today. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference.
I can't remember what ground I used. It is written down on my notes somewhere. When I find them I'll let you know.
Do you have number of cylinders set to 5 ?
Sorry I can't help more. It's been a while since I set mine up.

Bob

Hi Bob thanks for the reply. At least I don't feel quite so bad now, since I'm not the only one having difficulties with the RPM. I thought from your previous post that you had the RPM's nailed down and working exactly as displayed on your tach.

I have tried both the cam sensor and the tach output so far. The closest I've come to getting the tach and the LM-1 to mactch is by using the cam sensor and calibrating using my laptop and the audio cable with the settings below. I'll probably try a few more settings after I have a chance to compare the rpm's under better conditions.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4