Intercooler tested on the Gen2 Supercharger kit...

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Just a quick note on the testing results from last week and today.
We finally had a chance to wrap up and test the intercooler design we produced for the Gen2 kit. It worked out well and we learned a lot about it by having an engineer who worked for Autorotor 12 years work with us.
Basically, we ran a stock engine with a standard Supercharger kit at 5 and 8 psi. We had K type thermocouples in the intake at the blower outlet and in an intake runner.
We noted that there was no gain in power by simply cooling the air charge at lower boost levels. In order to see a gain, you must have a need / be able to increase timing advance. At 5 psi, we're not taking out much timing and therefore were not able to get much of a gain with the intercooler (about 15HP).
At 8 psi, it was a different story. The outlet temperature of the blower was 112 degrees C (much higher than on MBN's car we tested). With water flowing through the intercooler, the inlet temperature at the runner was 64 degrees C. We therefore were able to increase timing advance (finding the optimum point where further advanvce did nothing). The net gain was around 30 HP and TQ at the rear wheels.
So, now that we've proved to ourselves that it can work and that the engine still runs properly with this intake design, we're going to proceed with building a production version with a larger (thicker) and more dense cooler.
Next up is finding a good charge cooler supplier. Then, more testing at higher boost levels where we should expect greater gains.
I will post pictures of the prototype soon.
Regards,
Sean

kverges

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's this kind of candor and his helpful support that makes Sean unique. Sure there are some great aftermarket supporters out there, but I have to give Sean kudos for being forthcoming, helpful and informative to the DIY guy who gets at least half the fun out of knowing how it works and the satisfaction of doing a lot of it him or her self. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that the S/C kit from Roe is the best-fitting setup I've ever installed and Sean has helped me through every aspect of getting it set up.

Thanks again and keep us posted.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's this kind of candor and his helpful support that makes Sean unique.
Sean has helped me through every aspect of getting it set up.
I have to second the above statements!!!

I'm a newbie to the Roe fold, PLUS I bought a USED unit form a former owner, not even through Sean, and Sean has treated me like his first and best customer!!!! KILLER support!!!!

I was one the phone with his parts guy Chris, also a great help, and I got to hear the first intercooled pull on the dyno!!!

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Sean. :2tu: I can't wait to see how the production version does at 10 or 12 psi.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's this kind of candor and his helpful support that makes Sean unique. Sure there are some great aftermarket supporters out there, but I have to give Sean kudos for being forthcoming, helpful and informative to the DIY guy who gets at least half the fun out of knowing how it works and the satisfaction of doing a lot of it him or her self. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that the S/C kit from Roe is the best-fitting setup I've ever installed and Sean has helped me through every aspect of getting it set up.

Thanks again and keep us posted.

all im going to say is "THIS IS SEAN" i wish i wrote this, well said :)

Sean congrats!

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Swedish temps......how about Fahrenheit :)

233.6 F to 147.2 F ???????????????

What was the water temp before going through the intercooler ?

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
NICE, but .....

GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean does this mean forged cars will be able to run greater that 8psi without detonation, or is 8psi the most you recommend regardless of intercooler?

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Tony,
Sorry I missed you at the shop. Got your card in the door on Monday morning. Did you fly in or drive? Congratulations on your pass at the V10 race here in FL. You deserve the honor of being the first to run a twin screw supercharged Viper into the 9's.

The coolant system was about 80 degrees on the inlet and 93 on the outlet.

"Will the intercooler allow you to run more than 5 psi boost safely on the cast piston cars?"
Based on what we talked about with the engineer from Autorotor, yes, some, but I still would not add too much. Cooling the air will definitely help keep lower cylinder temperatures and pressures. We may use a tool they have that measures actual cylinder pressures while running (about a $10K piece of equipment) to test.

"...does this mean forged cars will be able to run greater that 8psi without detonation..."
Yep.

"PICTURES??????????????????????????????????"
Coming. I just haven't had an extra moment to take them and load them onto the server.

"NICE, but .....
GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1, GEN 1!"
Give me a day or two more :)

Regards,
Sean