Interest in MyGig Radio Retrofit...?

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'm not familiar with this. how big of a screen is the MyGig radio? also, can you watch dvds while driving on it?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The MyGig screen is about 7" diagonal.

Yes, you can watch DVD's while driving- which is a side effect of the lack of a bus signal telling it not to allow you do do it.

I have one in my Jeep SRT, and have done many long trips watching DVD's. Screen quality is excellent.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Update:

Its official, a MyGig has been powered up in a Viper, and works as expected, complete with Rear View Mirror Microphone/AutoDim, Uconnect, Sirius, GPS, DVD, and all of the other bells and whistles.

I am trying an RHR tonight, which is all of the same, but newer version with larger hard drive, newer software, more music compatibility, extra USB connectivity and best of all, BlueTooth Audio Streaming.

Problems:

1. The Wake Up and Sleep function of the radio will never be 100 percent the same as a true CAN Bus car. Upon Key-On and Key-Off, it can take ~10 seconds for the radio to wake up or shut off. Not a big deal in my opinion.

Solution:
-No solution available without a review of CAN module programming. EXPENSIVE but not impossible. Possible side effects are slow battery drain via CAN module needing to be powered at all times.

VERDICT: Minimal problem, not worth correction.

2. Clock will not function correctly, as believe it or not, the time is not stored in the radio. The module that stores time will of course not be installed with the radio- its just huge.

Solution:
-RER [Older NAV MyGig] Radios can be "clock fixed" with a software update, which will put it on GPS time always.
-RHR [Newer Nav MyGig] Radios cannot be clock-fixed, and will just display a blank time. Clock is available by entering the GPS Time menu, but it will not save after leaving menu. Possible software update in the future to clock-fix these as well. In my opinion, the newer version is worth the extra money and lack of a clock for the audio streaming alone. Someone who doesn't stream audio may prefer the clock function.

VERDICT: Complete or partial solutions expected.

3. Radio Illumination/dimming currently does not function.

Solution:
-This is a function of CAN, and again is hugely expensive to hack. Possible CAN fix in the future.
-Possible analog solution, powering the LED circuit directly off the OEM PWM dimmer output, as it is designed to drive LED's. Will be testing this. This will illuminate and dim the face plate, but would not automatically enable/disable Day/Night Mode [Screen Brightness & Black/White background] Day Night Mode can be set manually at any time.

VERDICT: Complete or partial solutions expected.

4. GPS "Dead Reckoning" will be non-functional. This only makes a shred of difference if traveling underground or in parking ramps where GPS cannot get a signal, and GPS updated on Speed/Compass alone, "guessing" position. As soon as signal is reacquired, position will update regardless.

Solution:
-No possible solution expected. The J1850 Bus in the Viper outputs the vehicle speed, and no CAN converter is expected to be able to convert this type of signal. Not overly concerned about it- 99% of non-OEM Nav systems do not have this feature anyway, and its just a guess at best regardless.

VERDICT: Minimal problem, not worth correction.

5. Park/Drive signal does not cause radio to "lock out" DVD and Text Input when the car is in motion.

Solution:
-I don't think anyone will complain about this... "problem", or want it solved. Ha.

VERDICT: Won't be solved on purpose!

Overall, the problems are very minimal compared to benefits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest you hold off ;)

I have discovered what is supposedly an "unfinished feature" in the RHR that would change the game for us if I can convince the manufacturer to activate it, and doing so would immediately bring the price and complexity of install down substantially. No promises however.

In any case, the RHR is a NICE unit, I like it better than the RER by a good margin.

Last edited:

JohnnyH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest you hold off ;)

I have discovered what is supposedly an "unfinished feature" in the RHR that would change the game for us if I can convince the manufacturer to activate it, and doing so would imediatly bring the price and complexity of install down substantially. No promises however.

In any case, the RHR is a NICE unit, I like it better than the RER by a good margin.

So what would this "unfinished feature" do for us?

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just purchased 64 GB micro SD card for my phone, I bought top of the line for 90 bucks, easily removable and super fast. Not to be critical or anything but like with any OEM unit, even the last one costs an arm and a leg, wouldn't be cheaper and easier for you to just pick a high quality afermarket unit for this project and keep up with the Joneses, especially in sound quality and soundprocessing depts this unit seems to lagging behind?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just purchased 64 GB micro SD card for my phone, I bought top of the line for 90 bucks, easily removable and super fast. Not to be critical or anything but like with any OEM unit, even the last one costs an arm and a leg, wouldn't be cheaper and easier for you to just pick a high quality afermarket unit for this project and keep up with the Joneses, especially in sound quality and soundprocessing depts this unit seems to lagging behind?

I am not sure what you are getting at with regard to the memory card, memory options are a moot point here. They come with 30GB, and have multiple USB's for streaming audio off external drives, and bluetooth streaming for other devices. On top of that, they use a standard type hard drive that can be changed for anything under the sun should you want to do so.

The entire point here is to get maximum options, with as much OEM look, function, and as little hacking as possible. The MyGig is a 1.5DIN size radio with a 2DIN screen. That is unheard of in the aftermarket. The installation of an aftermarket radio would result in having to use a single DIN with a flip up [YUCK!] or a double DIN requiring completely irreversible hacking of the dash inner structure. Also, if you have ever used an aftermarket system compared to a MyGig, they just "feel" very aftermarket. No comparison in overall form and function. One feels OEM, the other feels like an add-on.

I don't know where you came up with problems in sound processing? These are manufactured by Harman Becker [Harman/Kardon] I assure you, they do not have sound quality issues.

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan, I was not talking about sound quality problems, I have not seen the specs on audio outputs of this unit so cannot comment. What I was talking about was system configuration and TUNING using digital signal processing that is available in the aftermarket. Does this unit even have adjustable subwoofer signal connection, not to mention separate highs and mids? The point about SD card was that unless the hard drive is of solid state variety and fast, this is not really an advantage to have it. And again, 30GB HDD vs. 64GB PORTABLE card, seems like this thing may not be up to speed.
I am not sure what you are getting at with regard to the memory card, memory options are a moot point here. They come with 30GB, and have multiple USB's for streaming audio off external drives, and bluetooth streaming for other devices. On top of that, they use a standard type hard drive that can be changed for anything under the sun should you want to do so.

The entire point here is to get maximum options, with as much OEM look, function, and as little hacking as possible. The MyGig is a 1.5DIN size radio with a 2DIN screen. That is unheard of in the aftermarket. The installation of an aftermarket radio would result in having to use a single DIN with a flip up [YUCK!] or a double DIN requiring completely irreversible hacking of the dash inner structure. Also, if you have ever used an aftermarket system compared to a MyGig, they just "feel" very aftermarket. No comparison in overall form and function. One feels OEM, the other feels like an add-on.

I don't know where you came up with problems in sound processing? These are manufactured by Harman Becker [Harman/Kardon] I assure you, they do not have sound quality issues.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, I was not talking about sound quality problems, I have not seen the specs on audio outputs of this unit so cannot comment. What I was talking about was system configuration and TUNING using digital signal processing that is available in the aftermarket. Does this unit even have adjustable subwoofer signal connection, not to mention separate highs and mids? The point about SD card was that unless the hard drive is of solid state variety and fast, this is not really an advantage to have it. And again, 30GB HDD vs. 64GB PORTABLE card, seems like this thing may not be up to speed.

Peter, it seems to me that you are completely missing the point of what we are doing here. If you wish to install an aftermarket unit in your car, then by all means please do so, and anyone else who wishes can do the same thing, and could have done it for years before now. That is not what we are trying to do or accomplish by any stretch. Sure, these features are available in aftermarket formats. If it worked so well, I would entertain the idea. It doesn't in our application.

It is obvious to me that you are an audiophile and looking at this problem differently than 99.9% of everyone else. The Viper is not an ideal platform to install aftermarket stereo systems, nor would most owners wish their wiring harnesses and dashboards be hacked to bits for installation of aftermarket devices. I have seen the damage these hacks do to cars, and we are not one of them. The Viper based audio system has sub outs, yes- but limited in configuration capability. Yes, the Mygig has separate Mids control generally speaking. And yes, if you wished, you could install a solid state drive. But again, you miss the point. The internal hard drive is for navigation data, gracenotes and internal music storage- but in any event, that is an INTERNAL drive. The USB thumb drives can accommodate any external music storage you may want, the same as aftermarket devices. What difference does it make to have a 30GB SSD versus an HDD [other than longevity in harsh conditions] when it is used for all of the internal data storage primarily anyway? There is NO lag to speak of using an HDD in an application like this. If you want to store external, then do so. If you drive in unbelievably harsh conditions, then buy an SSD. If you need more than 30GB of music in your car, then buy a larger drive or use the thumb drives. These are situations unique to certain buyers, and not problems with the platform. I cannot think of one time I found myself asking "why does this not have an SSD", or "why is this not an external drive".

Regardless of any of that, how many people really care about the last 5% of sound quality in a car that has horrible acoustics to say the least, especially when it results in hacking up their car and running wiring all over the place? I have a MyGig in my Jeep SRT that I drive every day, and I WISH that product was available in the Viper, along with everyone else who has used one- hence what I am doing here. We are bringing the Viper to current technology levels as simply as possible with as little platform modification as possible. A MyGig in the dash, running an OE amp and wiring system, with a speaker swap and a small sub in the passenger footwell would be OEM quality and enough sound to accommodate 99.9% of owners, without the need to completely re-wire and destroy the car in the process. Say what you will about "Radio Install" shops and how some of their stuff looks nice on the surface, but as professional wiring harness manufactures, I can tell you it is absolutely deplorable what most shops do to cars. If you want harnesses hacked, wires probed until the insulation is ruined, piles of cables tucked into corners, and countless hidden things broken in the process, it is the way to go. I have yet to see one single solitary radio install done by anyone that I would consider a good install. One of the services we offer is to fix a car after a radio shop ruins it- and we do it regularly.

The point is, you are doing little more than detracting from a product that we have been working on, posting opinions from the incorrect viewpoint, and criticizing a something you obviously have no interest in purchasing anyway.

Last edited:

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not interested but have a suggestion for you to consider. Rather than ship viper to you can you come to the viper for install if that is more economic?

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I am not interested but have a suggestion for you to consider. Rather than ship viper to you can you come to the viper for install if that is more economic?

For people within driving distances where it is more economical to do so, yes, at THIS point I think it would be possible for me to do so. Travel charges would of course apply. I can certainly understand how someone would prefer this rather than shipping the vehicle if they are between 0-15 hours from here, as the travel charges would likely come out to less than shipping charges, with no transport hassles or risks to the vehicles. Once you cross 15 hours or so, it starts to balance out.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No, the MyGig does not have the rounded shape of the older radios.

Last edited:

Sho off

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread has definitely piqued my interested I have been looking for something like this. Love the fact an auto dimming mirror is the mix with this kit.

Does the mirror also have home link or the function for garage door openers ?

This along with the auto dimming mirror would be great.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This thread has definitely piqued my interested I have been looking for something like this. Love the fact an auto dimming mirror is the mix with this kit.

Does the mirror also have home link or the function for garage door openers ?

This along with the auto dimming mirror would be great.

Unfortunately, every Chrysler product I have seen has the HomeLink integrated into the roof panel or surrounding items- its a separate system. I do not believe there is a Chrysler mirror available that contains this option- and if there is, I can virtually guarantee it would be missing the Map Reading/Courtesy Lights and/or the Uconnect Mic. It was a nightmare tracking down a mirror that had a Uconnect Mic, Dimming and Lights as a single assembly.

All that said, HomeLink is a pretty generic system, I would be willing to bet that it could be integrated somewhere in the car quite easily. If I recall, someone had one sewn into a sun visor, looked factory.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan, I want one, keep me posted.

Working on it! Believe me guys... I want this one as bad as you do. Ha.

Update:

-I just pulled the mirror harness back out of the car so that I can measure it up and catalog the parts needed to duplicate them.

-Just ordered up all of the FAKRA connectors for antenna cable conversion. I would prefer to have a permanent crimped connection than a goofy adapter cable, seeing as it would require two adapter cables to do the job since the old one is an oddball.

-Located a single Mopar Sirius/GPS antenna, looks to be a perfect fit for the bulkhead top between the roll hoops. Low-profile, single wire with built in back-side mounting system.

-Located FAKRA extension cables for antenna, will be cutting to length for the Viper and re-terminating. No 5ft spare wire loop buried under the carpet here.

-As stated before, machine shop is already working on the prototype dash mod jig for testing before they make a hardened steel version.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Update Guys!

I have completed the first entire MyGig/Mirror from a wiring standpoint, and tested it with an RHR. In the pictures below, as horrible as they are, the RHR is totally self sufficient, playing DVDs, Nav, Sirius, Mirror is installed w/voice control, etc. The MyGig sounds MUCH better than the RB1 or the OE radio, and everything works as intended short of the minor issues discussed earlier in the thread.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one in my 2011 Ram. They are great. As a MECP tech for the last 15 years this is something I would like in my '08. Are steering wheel controls on the list? I see the wheel off and its something I miss from my Ram.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had one in my 2011 Ram. They are great. As a MECP tech for the last 15 years this is something I would like in my '08. Are steering wheel controls on the list? I see the wheel off and its something I miss from my Ram.

EDIT:

Just did some digging. This addition will not be possible. The steering wheel controls are on a MUX circuit communicating with a "steering module" for all of the EVIC information [Electronic Vehicle Information Cluster], which then outputs a LIN bus signal to the EVIC, which then in turn communicates with the radio via CAN. If the actual switches were on CAN, or even the Steering Module, we would have a prayer- but not with a LIN-CAN conversion as part of the mix. This is all due to the fact that the Radio Controls are integrated with the Cruise Control/EVIC system in the chrysler products.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the R&D so far on this Dan! :)

Not a problem. This one has been a loooong time coming. We just have been too busy over the last couple years with new product developments for paying customers, and things we had on the table being funded by us for release have been sitting collecting dust. I have decided that the first half of 2013 is going to be dedicated to getting every single project we have sitting on the shelf completed and made available.

Expect during 2013:

-MyGig Radio Conversion & options will be completed and available.
-Auto-Dim Mirror Conversions as a stand-alone Product.
-Passenger Footwell Sub-woofer Upgrade will be available to accompany.
-Twin Turbo Packages will be completed [redesign] with all new tech, from Oil-less turbos to thermally insulated headers to on-demand air/water with active cooling, to....... :)
-Pectel Systems/options will be getting an overhaul complete with Ethernet Hub Daisey-Chain for single-port multi-controller access.
-New Full-Color Digital/Faux Analog dashboard with make/model integration & personalization... wait until you see this one.
-New Design Bypass Fuel Pressure Regulator w/integral Fuel Temp/Differential Fuel Pressure will be released for proper ECU/Gauge display and data use.
-5-Axis Billet Gen-4 DBW Throttle Bodies.

Just a few of the new toys we have sitting on the shelf that need to be completed ASAP. Some of them are literally sitting at 99%... and its driving me insane to say the least!