Interior light stayed on and battery went dead... What happened??

Greg-TT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last night I came back from spirited driving on the back road and noticed the small amount of white smoke coming out of the driver side exhaust pipe. I was little concerned however the smoke went away after a few min. No big deal, locked the door and was about to leave the garage however, I've noticed the interior lights (underneath the rear view mirror) were on. I checked the interior lights switch, doors, rear hatch and etc, but I failed to turn the lights off. So, I ended up pulling the wiring harness behind the mirror and went to bed. This morning I tried to turn the car on. guess what? the battery went dead. I couldn't get the car started and had to jump started. Any idea what could have happened? Any one had similar experience? Could this be a easy fix with fuse issue or do I have a car with the electronic problem. The reason why I'm more concerned is my car had the battery prob. a few months ago and the dealer replaced with the new one. Any inputs are much appreciated. :confused:

2005 Siver SRT10 mamba ed. #88/200
Corsa Track 3"
RT high flow cats
K&N intake
DC Performance ECU upgrade
Unitrax 3.55
Quaiffe Diff.
Fidanza Alum. Flywheel
F1 Racing Stage 1 Clutch
RB1 Nav.
Ipod integration
Glossy black painted center console

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the 4 things that will keep the lights on.

1 door open or bad switch in one of the doors

2 switch's left on on the mirror

3 dimmer switch is turned up to its max setting

4 body control module needs to be re-flashed.

The dimmer switch can be turned down to it's lowest setting to turn off the lights in the mirror if needed.

There was a recall on 2003 vipers to re flash the BCM which affected the headlights and dash lights. I had this problem along with yours above and the re flash cured the problem.

Robbie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 Dodge Viper SRT10 V10-8.3L VIN Z

Recall 03V388000: Body Control Module Software Update

DEFECT: On certain passenger vehicles, the multifunction switch park lamp contacts may corrode. The multifunction switch parking light contacts could cause the head lights, parking lights, and/or instrument panel lamps to flicker or become inoperative. This could affect driver visibility, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Dealers will reflash the software in the Body Control Module. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification is expected to begin during December 2003. Owners may contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-992-1997.

Copyright © 2006 ALLDATA LLC
Terms of Use

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have experienced it many times. I just reopen and closwe and magically it is fixed.