interior rubber "melting"

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004 vert. Just left from the north to enjoy the winter in florida. When i last stored the car in May, i left the windows part way down. The vehicle is stored in my garage attd to the house and the house is a new build. When i got down there to unviel my bride, i noticed the rubber on the steering wheel was all sticky and "disintegrating". What went wrong? I cant remember using a cleaner or wipe prior to storage.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was the house filled with foam insulation, if it was, could be the nasty crap that comes out of the foam when it cures, Its deadly .

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sorry guys...was away this weekend. Its the center horn area, where the logo is....not the actual round part of the steering wheel

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
My guess is that when he stored the viper, it went through temp cycles and humidity cycles. This can cause some tackiness to surfaces. No way to completely know based on the post

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes ^^^^^ exactly as described by Jeff. But its really tacky.. Will it remedy itself once the air temp cools. Anyone have this happen

TheOldViperMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004 vert. Just left from the north to enjoy the winter in florida. When i last stored the car in May, i left the windows part way down. The vehicle is stored in my garage attd to the house and the house is a new build. When i got down there to unviel my bride, i noticed the rubber on the steering wheel was all sticky and "disintegrating". What went wrong? I cant remember using a cleaner or wipe prior to storage.

Common problem on a lot of cars.
Google "car interior plastic melting".
Looks like rubbing alcohol may be the best fix.
BillyC

OP
OP
S

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey Billy, thank you for the advise, looks like i can fix the issue....I am very surprised its that prevalent.....beetles and hyundai yes....just didnt expect it for high end cars incl ferrari's

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Heat and humidity attacks all social classes and the Rides they drive