Ipod and DVD changer install (pics)

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all came as a simple idea to hook (somehow) ipod with my stereo. It ended up (as usually) tearing up the car apart in order to do it right.

Over Ebay I got RB1 nav unit and factory DVD changer with AUX inputs. The whole package came at $1100.

Replacing stock radio with RB1 was a simple switch - remove the dash panel, take out stock, plug in RB1, put back dash and that was it. My car had navigation in 15 minutes.

Adding DVD changer was a little more difficult since I did not know where to put it. First I wanted to place it in the trunk. If the Titanic was build the way the Viper is it would never sunk - the whole car is divided into a fiberclass compartments with no connection between the cabin and trunk. To make long story short - for me there was no way how could I run cables to trunk without cutting the holes into the car and/or taking down body panels and fenders. Then I looked under the driver's seat and decided to put the changer there.

Since the DVD changer had AUX in I could hook my ipod with it. The AUX in was anyway the primary reason why I got this. I figured that for PIE adapter I would pay around $100 with uncertain results (some folks reported problems) so paying $175 extra for factory based solution seemed to me like a good proposition.

In order to take care of wires, cables and the placement of the changer I had to remove the mid console and remove the driver's seat. Removing the mid console is quite time consuming since you have to remove the front panel, take out shifter, disconnect window switches, dismantle the leather hand brake cover, disconnect cigaret lighter, take out the plastic (mid console front), unscrew the 2 screws keeping the console with the plastic back panel, unscrew the 4 screws in mid panel compartment, 2 screws in front, slide console back, lift it, disconnect rear acc and airbag switch and that was it I guess.

8579changer.jpg

Then I had to figure out the cabling. The changer requires battery and ground and I had no idea where to get these since I could not go to a battery and had no idea which cables were which. Why the cars are not coming with the manuals I don't know. The software for $50 has one, why the car worth 80 large can't have one? Anyway, through a bitter experience (frying up the accessory relay) I learned that the power for DVD changer can't be drawn from the radio.

BTW figuring out why all of the sudden there was no power for the radio while there was power for the rest of the car took me several hours of investigation. The problem was that everything worked in the test layout and I was drawing the power from the radio. Then I disconnected everything, made the install, put everything together and ... my radio was dead. It got no power and there is no fuse on this thing. The power is managed through the relay and the reason for this (I guess) is that the relay stores in the memory the last selection of the radio feature (last channel etc.) I am thinking that because now I had to bypass the relay to power the whole thing and the radio always starts with AM 530 like it would run for the first time. I think this will change when I will run by dodge and replace the relay (it's like $20 item I guess)

Anyway - back to the install...

The final choice was to draw the battery from the cigaret lighter input since it gets power only when acc is on the same way like the radio gets power. This lead me to a mod which I think should be done by factory. There are two 'cigaret lighters' (acc inputs) - one up front and one the compartment.

The one in the compartment is on all the time while the one up front only when the acc is on (key). Which is little silly or at least it was not good for me since I planned to have my ipod hooked up al the time to a charger in the mid console compartment and this could lead to a battery discharge. At the same time I thought if I would need to draw the power from the car for compressor, camera, laptop and alike I might want to draw that from front lighter without having the key in. So I switched the factory cables and now my compartment lighter is powered only when the key is in while the power in the front lighter is available at any time.

Ok, so I figured out the power. The next thing was to figure out where to lead the cables so they won't melt since our dear snake is one huge and powerful heater as all we know ;) . I decided to run the cables between the carpet and the heat insulation.

8579wires.jpg

The next thing was to run the audio cable (RCA out on one end and minijack on the other) from the changer in the insulation (see pic above) to the midpanel compartment (little cut through on the side of the inner plastic container) and put everything back together.

As a result I have navigation in my car, can play CDs (will check out DVD audio whether the changer can read it or not and let you know) and have my ipod readily available so I can choose the songs when driving. 'Tested and approved' during the Sunday drive to Santa Cruz on Hwy 17 :D

As you can see from the picture below the cables are long enough so that I can have everything connected all the time.

8579ipod.jpg

At last - adding a CD changer seemed to me like a straightforward operation. Well it turned out to be a small weekend project with all tests and investigation. Now when I know what and how to do it would take me maybe 3 hours. So I thought to share my experience so that others won't have to go through the same discovery process.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 'relay' I though I fried was not relay. It was simple 15A IOD fuse. This is the one in the plastic 'jacket'. Interesting - when this fuse is gone everything works except of the feed to the radio...

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check this out: http://www.cardomain.com/item/PACAUXPOD

Unless I missed something, looks like you can hook this up to the RB1 (or RBQ) and controll the ipod with the radio, plus its hardwired so no FM modulator problems. You could just run the ipod plug into the glovebox. Not compatible with CD changer, but if it works, who needs a CD player? No mounting issues, routing wires to trunk, etc. This will be my first mod if only the car would get here.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmm, that item was discontinued but

http://peripheralelectronics.com/iPod2car/index.shtml

claims (or better does not say no) to work with all Chrysler radios...

I have 1st gen iPod and RB1 - there is no AUX adapter for RB1. DVD changer is $250 and includes both aux in and 6dvd player. Or for $50 less you get adapter only... If the integrations would work so that iPod pauses when you stop the car the things would be different.

Edit:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=693 says NOT compatible with our radios.... go figure. I wrote them email and once they answer I will post.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking more closely, it seems that these products only work with radios that have a Disc^ (disc up) or Mode button even though the one at Cardomain.com specifically mentions the 10-pin Molex plug. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not see either on the RB1 pictures. I will not be taking a chance on these products without positive confirmation that they work with the RB1. Your solution just might be the best one. How did you secure the changer....velcro, brackets??

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
TEDK- the RB-1 has Disc Up and Disc Down printed on the upper most and lower most radio station preset buttons, 1 & 5.

I am seriously considering seeing if I can get that iPod system to work as a plug-in to the CD changer cable. I dont see why not, the changer cable is all the same wiring as the back of the radio itself, minus one wire that would be used with a Mux box- which isnt relevant to the project at hand anyway.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After looking more closely, it seems that these products only work with radios that have a Disc^ (disc up) or Mode button even though the one at Cardomain.com specifically mentions the 10-pin Molex plug. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not see either on the RB1 pictures.

Look closer:

You must be registered for see images

Disc up and down are on preset buttons 1 and 5 respectively. The "Mode" button is represented by the "CD/AUX" button.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM Z- Which end of a 6-Changer cable is a 10 pin? I cant remember. Is the back of the headunit 10? Or is that an 8 and the changer end is 10...? (or is it 10/12 respectively)

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well then, according to the compatability table for Madman's first link, it should work. Disc-up on preset #1 is the clincher. Also, if mine was not discontinued, it seems that it would work also. Just thought this would be a cool way to have toons and avoid changer mounting and wiring. Daniel are you cruising the forum at 11:00pm?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Daniel are you cruising the forum at 11:00pm?

Yeah, I know... a little early for me today! Just getting some last minute "Viper Reading" in before I head out to the clubs. I'll check back at about 5 when... I mean if... I come home. :smirk:

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The odds are that unless manufacturer confirms the adapter won't work. I have similar experience from wife's M3 - before she has 330cvt with standard BMW cd/radio and cdchanger adapter worked. In M3 she has navigation computer also with CD changer iface accepting the same factory cdchanger and the same PIE adapter did not work.

Now - RB1 was made by alpine. yet the assumption that what works on alpines would work on RB1 may be wrong. Unless somebody tries we will not know. My internet research did not produce any positive results. Only the notices that this and that adapter would not work with RB1.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can acquire one of these units on a returnable basis, I do not mind spending the time to test it out. DANG! I still don't have my car yet! Will wait untill then, unless someone beats me to it. Please post results if you do.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JIM Z- Which end of a 6-Changer cable is a 10 pin? I cant remember. Is the back of the headunit 10? Or is that an 8 and the changer end is 10...? (or is it 10/12 respectively)

the head unit always has a 10-pin connector block. The changer connector depends on who made it. The Alpine 6-CD black box changer has a 12-pin connector, though with only 8 pins populated. The Mitsubishi 10-CD black box and 4 and 6 CD in-dash changers all have the same 8-pin connector.

Now - RB1 was made by alpine. yet the assumption that what works on alpines would work on RB1 may be wrong.

that assumption would be wrong. Though the radio is made by Alpine, the command structure used for bus communication is defined by chrysler. That way, the RB1 will respond to and send the same commands as would the Mitsubishi-built RAZ. The only difference with RB1 is that the 10-pin AUX input connecter uses an additional wire for artist/title data from the Sirius module. Other radios leave this unconnected.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ipod interface disributor wrote:

Unfortunately we don’t have any information on the RB1 radios. As of now we don’t believe the Ipod interface will work, we think the RB1 radios are on the vehicles data bus which is called “CAN”. You may want to contact Peripheral on this question; they are the one’s developing the unit and doing most of the research.

I called Peripherals and they indeed confirmed that RB1 would not work with ipod adapter.

To sum it up the only way how to hook up iPod to Viper with stock or RB1 radio seems the factory DVD changer with AUX in terminals.

Howgh. :(

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel, jump in if I'm wrong, but I understood that the RB1's were not CAN bus units.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Confusing, isn't it?

"A man with one watch always knows what time it is.
A man with two watches is never sure."

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It makes no sense...? What would stop an RB-1 from working in this case? I must be missing something, or those guys are really confused over what an RB-1 "is".

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, you are missing something. Neither RB1 nor radio/6cdchanger are standard chrysler radios with simple changer controls.

In case of RB1 - with ipod hooked through aux in on factory DVD changer RB1 displays 'auxiliary input' instead of 'cd changer'. aux in activates only in case that ipod actually produces a noise - if you have silence in your song RB1 will start to play cdchanger again.

If your cd changer plays and you start ipod at the same time, ipod's music will 'overwrite' cd, I guess cdchanger has priority of Aux in over cd.

now - music signal from both cd and auxin goes from cd changer to RB1 through the same cables. Yet RB1 displays different input. Cables running from harness are L/R channels, audio ground, control, power and ground.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither RB1 nor radio/6cdchanger are standard chrysler radios with simple changer controls.

yes it is. The RB1 works fine with any J1850 CD/DVD changer, U-connect module, or Sirius module.

In case of RB1 - with ipod hooked through aux in on factory DVD changer RB1 displays 'auxiliary input' instead of 'cd changer'. aux in activates only in case that ipod actually produces a noise - if you have silence in your song RB1 will start to play cdchanger again.

I think you're confused. In this case, the DVD changer is what senses audio/video on its RCA inputs, and sends a message to the radio to change its display. If the DVD Changer doesn't sense anything, it'll go back to playing the disc and send a message to the radio to change its display to "CD Changer." In either case, the only thing the radio's doing is changing what it shows on the screen.

It makes no sense...? What would stop an RB-1 from working in this case?

Beats me. The RB1 should treat it like a CD changer. The only difference between RB1 and the other radios is that one of the pins is used for the Sirius module- it's how the radio grabs text info from Sirius. The other radios leave this pin floating. Whoever makes this adapter shouldn't be messing with this wire at all.

OP
OP
M

madman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither RB1 nor radio/6cdchanger are standard chrysler radios with simple changer controls.

yes it is. The RB1 works fine with any J1850 CD/DVD changer, U-connect module, or Sirius module.

Ehm... perhaps you could list the names of third party CD/DVD changers you successfully tried with RB1... ehmm...

I think you're confused. In this case, the DVD changer is what senses audio/video on its RCA inputs, and sends a message to the radio to change its display. If the DVD Changer doesn't sense anything, it'll go back to playing the disc and send a message to the radio to change its display to "CD Changer." In either case, the only thing the radio's doing is changing what it shows on the screen.

Did you just say that RB1 - in fact - has special communication protocol? Or will every CD changer with AUX in cause RB1 to display AuxIn?

It makes no sense...? What would stop an RB-1 from working in this case?

Beats me. The RB1 should treat it like a CD changer. The only difference between RB1 and the other radios is that one of the pins is used for the Sirius module- it's how the radio grabs text info from Sirius. The other radios leave this pin floating. Whoever makes this adapter shouldn't be messing with this wire at all.

[/QUOTE]

I think you are confused now. There just may be a possibility that aux-in and ipod adapters can't emulate communication protocol used by RB1 and therefore RB1 may not understand these adapters and won't switch the input as needed.

I think it makes no sense to guestimate further. The bottom line is that Aux-in or ipod adapter working with RB1 or (05) stock viper radio remains to be discovered or created.

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ehm... perhaps you could list the names of third party CD/DVD changers you successfully tried with RB1... ehmm...

Huh? Who said anything about third-party changers? I said J1850 changers, which mean Chrysler. My point is that RB1 works with any Chrysler J1850 changer, just like all other Chrysler J1850 radios. The communication is the same.

I think you are confused now.

Hardly.

There just may be a possibility that aux-in and ipod adapters can't emulate communication protocol used by RB1 and therefore RB1 may not understand these adapters and won't switch the input as needed.

The RB1's communication protocol on it's input port is no different than any other Chrysler radio. RAZ, RBP, RBU, RBK, RBB, RB3, and RB4 all use the same protocol.

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would certainly be worth the effort to test one of these units out. I would do it now, but of course I need a car first. Mercedes and Volvo have already announced they will be offering Ipod connectivity in all their models, I'm sure more will follow. Perhaps even future RB1 versions will accomodate the Ipod (hopefully keeping it J1850). I think this would be a great way to move your music around between vehicles and home...no more discs, changer, wiring, etc. Especially in space-challenged vehicles like the Viper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4