IPOD Not Recharging Lately from Connector Cable/RB-1 Unit

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had their IPOD suddenly not won't to recharge off the IPOD connector cable/unit from the RB-1 Nav unit?

It seemed to previously recharge through the unit with no problems, but now my IPOD battery is only lasting approx. 6 hrs while connected to the RB-1 Nav unit. I now have to connect the IPOD to my computer to recharge it.

Also, this is my second IPOD since I believe the unit short circuited the first IPOD from a surge of power or something. Has anyone had their RB-1 "fry" their IPOD before? Just curious if this is a common problem or is just "operator" error. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try to pull the power off the battery and let the car sit for awhile. This will reset the interface and connection.

I was having issues with the ipod kit connecting to my car. I just reset it and worked perfectly from there.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that my new 16G nano was not charging when connected. I tested it with my older 30G iPod and my nieces older 4G nano, both worked fine. I'm finding that the new iPods do not charge when hooked up to accessories designed for the older iPods (i.e. - my iHome and car chargers). If you have one of the new iPods that were released in October, this could be the issue.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed that my new 16G nano was not charging when connected. I tested it with my older 30G iPod and my nieces older 4G nano, both worked fine. I'm finding that the new iPods do not charge when hooked up to accessories designed for the older iPods (i.e. - my iHome and car chargers). If you have one of the new iPods that were released in October, this could be the issue.

Correct. The currently sold new ipod and iphone have a slightly different internal battery interface and unfortunately is not compatible with certain chargers. (Total BS)

If it's an older ipod with issues connecting, it really can be anything. Could very well be a dead battery. You can replace ipod batteries yourself here:
ID Your iPod - iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

X-Metal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct. The currently sold new ipod and iphone have a slightly different internal battery interface and unfortunately is not compatible with certain chargers. (Total BS)

If it's an older ipod with issues connecting, it really can be anything. Could very well be a dead battery. You can replace ipod batteries yourself here:
ID Your iPod - iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories
yeah, i ran into this too. my newest iphone, wont charge on the 1st generation iphone chargers, takes an all new setup. its BS

OP
OP

05CopperHD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. The IPOD is a newer one. I guess I may have to find an older IPOD (more of the square looking ones) to dedicate to my car. This is definitely BS. Having to take the IPOD out of the car to recharge is going to be a pain in the @$$. So I'm assuming all the cable connectors sold won't be able to charge the new IPODs? I wonder what/if all these viper vendors who sell these connectors are going to tell there customers?

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, it's a pain, but I have a charger by the Viper. When the battery on the iPod dies, I put it on the charger next to the car and grab it when I'm getting in. Works well so far.