Is 1500 rpm ok for cruising in 6th gear?

diegoted

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is my first 6 speed and I don't want to lug the tranny. On my first outing yesterday I noticed I was at about 2200 rpm doing 70-75. When I shifted into 6th the rpms droped to about 1500. The car did not seem sluggish at this point but I knew I was not at an optimum speed for this gear. Being the 65-75 speed limit, is it ok to be in 6th for long periods of time doing this speed?

thx Diego

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cruise 6th all time.
Even when going close to the speed limit.
1000/1100ish rpm at just above 65 or so. Not the greatest experience, but doesn't really hurt anything.
The tranny doesn't care as much as the motor does. -not good for the bottom end of the motor to lug it hard. But for no-load cruising on the hiway, I haven't had any issues.

OP
OP
D

diegoted

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have two 1/4 mile cars that run low to mid 9s, so I don't think I will be drag racing this car. However, if I can get to a road course I would love to run the car a little harder!! LOL

Diego

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have two 1/4 mile cars that run low to mid 9s, so I don't think I will be drag racing this car. However, if I can get to a road course I would love to run the car a little harder!! LOL

Diego
No, the stock 3.07 gearing is not for the dragstrip.
Does good on the roadcourse though.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what was said above, its no problem at all. I cruised from NJ to florida about 4-5 times at that rpm in 6th gear. It got me 24+ mpg. but im told its not a great idea to jump on it at that rpm, downshift and move

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, the stock 3.07 gearing is not for the dragstrip.
Does good on the roadcourse though.

I think it depends on the power the car is making. When making more power the taller gear I think is better. Which is why I now need to sell my spare rearend with 3.73s ;)

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's what 6th is for. Steady highway cruising. I get 23 in 6th at 70mph on the PA Turnpike driving to Carlisle. I have a 2003. However, if you need to pass, you need to downshift, for sure.

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My manual suggests 50 or 55 (I can't remember which one) for 6th gear usage. It's burbling along pretty happily at around 1,000 RPMs there.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If memory serves correctly (and it probably don't), the manual says 60mph for 6th gear minimum?
I feel stupid posting this, but I have gone as slow as 60 in 6th gear. The motor is at idle speed and just grumbles along.

I have noticed 6th gear to be more suited to 160 though.
The car still requires a downshift to 5th if you want to accelerate more.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow. 50 /55 is pushing the mechanical limits I think.
This is like the limbo. -how slow can you go?

55 is normally a 1st gear speed. :D

The Viper has one of the highest low end TQ at super low RPMs. Its made to lug around at low rpm's. If your not.. then your just wasting gas.

You'll know if your RPM's are too low for a speed. Your car will buck and bog.

Last edited:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use 6th at 55-60 mph all the time. The fear of low engine rpm when cruising is from the pre-fuel injection era.

mtmclaughlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
55 is normally a 1st gear speed. :D

OK, truth. Buuuuuut..... other than great gas mileage (hah, well... great is a matter of perspective eh?), there's a hidden bonus to this. Driving the car like a slow car helps you forget how damn fast it really is. Then, when you do your "Hang on, watch this!" run it's all the sweeter. Otherwise, you almost (ALMOST) get used to the power and it's not quite the same. I think it's hilarious to drive around in my 1994 Miata for a week or two and then get in the Viper.

"Hey! Hold my beer! Let's see if the Viper can still do a burnout!"

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local guy sold a GEN-II to a fella in Kentucky and going through some hills, the guy busted the 5/6th gear cluster. 1st time owner and first drive in the car. When asked how he did that (since the car was perfect when he left Tampa), he said he was bumbling along in 6th and not downshifting in the mountains...since he loved the torque of the engine and wanted to just stay in 6th and lug it. Well, I guess the trans had other ideas since this fool obviously took lugging the engine through the hills to some extreme. I doubt WOT at 1200 RPM in 6th would work for very long. Just saying; just because you can do it doesn't mean it will work.

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first 6 speed and I don't want to lug the tranny. On my first outing yesterday I noticed I was at about 2200 rpm doing 70-75. When I shifted into 6th the rpms droped to about 1500. The car did not seem sluggish at this point but I knew I was not at an optimum speed for this gear. Being the 65-75 speed limit, is it ok to be in 6th for long periods of time doing this speed?

thx Diego

A very similar question came up in this thread "CLICK ME"

Here is an excerpt:

Let's now get serious and factual about engine load and how much you are terrorizing the engine at lower rpm. At 1000rpm, our engines only make about 80 horsepower (420 ft-lb * 1000rpm / 5250 = 80 hp). At that rpm, the engine is properly oiled, cooled, executing proper combustion mix, and well under its maximum operating capacity in virtually all aspects. I challenge anyone with any real technical information to come and proof to me how this dangerous to our engines.

Please do come forward and I shall aptly retort. :eater:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62